Ancestor Gateway Forum - Family History New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: STEAD Family History
Topic Originator: Pat COOK (nee STEAD)
Post Date August 14, 2005 @ 11:59 AM
 STEAD Family History
 RE: STEAD Family History

Pat COOK (nee STEAD)
August 14, 2005 @ 11:59 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I decided to write up what I knew of my maiden name  'STEAD' in a way which would be interesting to my relatives.
I put this in with Christmas Cards, or gave out to family members.

It brought in a wealth of information and photographs. Everybody in the family seemed to have something different.

An Uncle said, "You didnt put in about your living in a house of Ill repute".  I didnt know I had.!!!!
In 1943 my mother rented a house in Cleethorpes, Lincs, my father was away for 6 years in the Army.  The house had been previously rented by 'Two ladies of the Night'  Apparently they used to stand on the corner, calling out, "Half a crown"

I lived in that house till I married in 1959, and it wasnt until about 2000 that I was told this story, I had never heard it before.  Our old house was apparently very well known in early 1940's.

Surprising what you learn.

My 'Stead Story' unlocked the heart of one aunt who would give no information or help to me at all.  Seeing it written down, she became very interested, and opened up her collection of old family photographs to me.

Pat in Lincs

Clive Stead Whitehead
July 5, 2007 @ 7:22 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I am researching the Stead families from the Huddersfield, Kirkheaton areas in Yorkshire, any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Ed:  Anyone have connections with the STEAD family in this area?