update
 update
 RE: Ben Reedman from Stamford
 Reedman court

Paul Reedman
March 24, 2006 @ 7:56 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I'm trying to see if anyone has any information on my great great grandfather Benjamin Reedman. He lived between 1852 and 1933 and was a well established member of the community running his own pub on Blackfriars Street, being a baliff and later on being town councillor. If anyone has any info at all please contact me. Thanks Paul Reedman
Kate:  Any help out there for Paul?

Kate
April 6, 2006 @ 10:20 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Paul decided to visit Stamford this week and the following is a resume of his activities in the pursuit of information about his ancestors.
Hopefully it will appear in The Stamford Mercury when they have some space.

TIME TRAVELLER: PAUL REEDMAN

Paul, a sports statistician (aged 30) from Howden, East Yorkshire, contacted Stamford Memories Gateway a few weeks ago. He knew his ancestors came from Stamford and found the website on Google.  Paul wanted to look up the places where his family had lived and worked. First of all he visited Stamford Cemetery and with the help of Steve and Warren at the Cemetery Lodge he found several gravestones and gravespaces of his ancestors. His next stop was Broad Street and on his way to Stamford Museum he called in at Vaughan's Antique Shop at No. 45 which in the late 19th century was called Reedman, Son & Mason and was run by by his ggggrandfather John Reedman and his gggrandfather Benjamin Reedman.
Once at Stamford Museum Paul found some very knowledgeable helpers and on returning there after his picnic lunch, he saw they had found "a whole treasure trove of Reedman stuff in a huge pile" Newspaper cuttings, photographs etc , taking him back to the time his ancestors spent in Stamford but also to 3 other researchers into the family in England and a further distant relation who emigrated to Canada. Paul says "I couldn't believe it, I was so excited I was literally shaking".
Paul's family had also run an off-licence at 9 Blackfriars Street called G.N Refreshment Rooms, Beerhouse & Refreshment Room.
The Reedmans were a prominent family in the town. Benjamin Reedman, and later Ben's son Herbert Reedman   owned the Antique Shop, Reedman,Son & Mason, Auctioneers, Estate Agents and Furniture Brokers. The premises were rebuilt in 1903. Auctions were held at OddFellows Hall. Benjamin also became a town councillor in 1919.
Paul said  "This was a great day and I couldn't believe that everyone I spoke to in Stamford was so helpful. It makes me proud to think my family originated from such a great and friendly town like Stamford. I shall definitely be coming back some time in the summer".

Why don't you become a "Time Traveller"? much of the work can be done on the internet and if you feel like following up the work with a trip away to the actual locations, you may be as lucky as Paul. Whatever you find out, you will be sure to enjoy your visit to Stamford.

www.ancestorgateway.com
email address   kate@ancestorgateway.com

Paul Reedman
April 9, 2006 @ 8:39 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I've recently found out that Ben's brother John emigrated to British Columbia in Canada in 1905 where he had several children. They are all buried in the local cemetery out there.
Another thing I've done in my research is write to the people whose names I found in Stamford museum. I got a phone call from a Rose Reedman, who I wrote to, from Stamford today. She's quite an elderly  lady at 80 but it was great speaking to her. She directed me to another member of her family Brian who she said had done his own family tree. Had a good chat with him on the phone and remember seeing his picture in the Stamford Mercury newspaper archive that I saw in the museum. He had been quite a successful cricketer in the 60's for the local team. We had a good chat on the phone with him mentioning his 102 not out. After all that I found out he wasn't directly linked to my tree. Anyway is was good speaking to Rose and Brian. Rose even asked me to pop round for a cuppa. Bless her.
Kate: Thanks Paul.Update when you get news - as local people would like to know.

Paul Reedman
April 14, 2006 @ 9:51 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Well I've certainly been busy recently. My letter to the editor at lakeshore News newspapwer in British Columbia went in the paper on wednesday asking about John Reedman and if any relatives are still around the area. Since then I have been inundated with emails. I have even been contacted by a distant cousin who has asked me to go over to Canada. Can't wait. Another great bit of news I got was from a local historian in Blind Bay, Canada (where they emigrated to)who told me that there is a place called Reedman point  named after all the reedmans who emigrated from Stamford. I'm told they pioneered Blind Bay and made it what it is today. So there you go my relatives emigrated from Stamford and got a whole place named after them.
Kate: Contratulations Paul!  I hope that trip to Canada materialises.  It would be great to see the places where  your ancestors settled.  Look forward to more updates.

Paul Reedman
April 16, 2006 @ 3:10 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Got an email from my distant cousin in Canada and she told me there is a book called in "in those days" that tells the story of John Reedman from Stamford who emigrated to Canada and pioneered Blind Bay. She's sending me a copy in the post. Also it was Blind Bay's 100th aniversary last year in memeory of the Reedmans. Here is an extract from one of the papers:

Reedman clan to gather

Salmon Arm Observer, Friday, Jul 29, 2005

An historical photograph shows John Reedman with his sons Stan, Eric, Archie, Harry, Len, John holding Jack, Roy and Arthur.  

Many place names in the Shuswap hearken back to early settlers in the area, such as the Reedman family, whose ties to Blind Bay go back 100 years.

Descendants of pioneer John Reedman are coming together to celebrate at Blind Bay Hall this Sunday, July 31.

John's two remaining children, daughters Kathleen Goss (92) and Marjory May (94), live in Salmon Arm and will be participating in the festivities.

"The reunion will be tiring but something to think back on," says Marjory, who will be meeting many of her great nieces and nephews for the first time. Although there have been get-togethers in the past for anniversaries and birthdays, this will be the first time such a large gathering has taken place. There are 95 people attending from Vancouver, Victoria, Kamloops, Enderby, Salmon Arm, Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto, Niagara Falls, Washington State and California.

As part of the reunion, organizers have arranged for a tour of the various historical sites and also have made copies of the family tree available.

A shared history is what binds these people to each other and family details and remembrances have been documented by the late Isabelle Reedman in a book entitled "In Those Days."

John, born in 1855 to an old, established English family in Stamford, England, had been twice widowed before his marriage in 1902 to Florence Harriet Cave, his housekeeper and 26 years his junior.

In 1905, when John was 50 years old, the family immigrated to Canada, homesteading in Blind Bay. John's son Len became the first white baby born in the area, coming into the world in trapper Billy Henstridge's cabin by the lake, known at the time as "trapper's landing" and now Sorrento.

Goods had to be transported by raft from Sorrento to Blind Bay as there were no roads, only trails. Some winters were extremely cold with temperatures falling to minus 32 degrees Fahrenheit. However, when the lake froze over, skating was a fun pastime. Marjory says she remembers skating as far as Celista.

The first Blind Bay hall became the hub of activity for the close knit community with many work bees, parties, dances and picnics on the beach.

In 1907, John built a store facing the lake and it was used as both a store and a post office up until 1981.

When a school was established in Sorrento, the Reedman children hiked the six miles by logging trail or rode horseback in good weather. By 1913, enough settlers had arrived that a school was built in Blind Bay.

John suffered a stroke on Oct. 4, 1930 and lay in a coma for 21 days before he died on Oct. 25. Florence picked up the pieces and carried on, becoming the postmistress of Blind Bay until a heart attack forced her retirement in 1944. After that, she spent summers at Shuswap Lake with son Jack and winters in Vernon with daughter Kathleen. She suffered increasingly from arthritis and Isabelle writes that at age 87 Florence's "beloved Shuswap whispered and beckoned. Oct. 4, 1968, she walked painfully, purposefully into its loving arms."

As well as three sons from his first marriage, John and Florence had eight children - George, Jack (who died in infancy), Leonard, Arthur, Roy, Florence Marjory, Kathleen and Jack, the youngest born in 1920 on the train going to Salmon Arm. Jack passed away in 2003 and his widow still lives in the Blind Bay/Eagle Bay area.

Exciting times lay ahead. I'll update when I get more news
Kate:  Well Paul, I should think you are glad you started on your Stamford connection!  Keep researching.

Paul Reedman
April 24, 2006 @ 9:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I've got the book "in those days". What a cracking book. It explains about John Reedman going to Canada from Stamford. I've found out about a few other things In Stamford that I never knew about. According to the book it says there was a Reedman house called "Reedmans court" that was situated off St Georges Square. If anyone knows if it's still there or is called something different please let me know. The original antiques business was also situated around St Georges square before moving to Broad Street. Also in the book it says the Reedman antiques business on Broad Street was torn down in the forties to make way for a cinema. Again if anyone can claify this please let me know. They used to live in a "Stanley house" on Stanley Street. If that is still there let me know. Will update some more soon
Kate: Thanks for this Paul.  Very interesting.  Does anyone have any information about Reedmans Court off St George's square or Stanley House on Stanley Street?

Paul Reedman
May 31, 2006 @ 8:45 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Had another fantastic day in Stamford today and found Reedman court after speaking to Mary in Tourist information. It's right in the middle of St Georges Street and has a plaque on the wall. I was just taking some pics of it and the lady who owned came out so I explained who I was and she invited me in for a chat. I found out she is wife of Councillor Bisnauthsing called Pam. She was really nice and showed me round letting me take pictures and stuff. She explained that the house used to be 2 houses and that there used to be a passage by the side of the house that used to go to the second one. As it's now one house the passage is bricked up. Pam also helped me out with something else. I told her all about my g g granddad Ben being a town councillor and with her council connections said she'd ring the town hall to see if I could get some info. I told her it would be closed as it was about 3pm but she said, "Oh don't worry about that. I'll speak to my old mate Bob". So she rang Bob and invited me down straight away. I couldn't believe it when I got there. Bob took me down to the archives through all the old bits of the building including the dungeons which was great. I joked on the way "you're not gonna lock me up are ya". Usually all these areas aren't open to the public. I felt like an excited school kid. It was great. We finally got to the archives and found Ben's original declaration forms which were in emaculate condition. It was like they were written a couple of hours ago. I got a couple of photocopies and said thanks to Bob who only does a few days a week as he's retired but loves looking at old archived stuff. Again what a great day and can't believe all the wonderful people of Stamford are so kind and helpful. As Arnie Scwarzanegger says "I'll be back"
Kate: Thanks for that Paul.  So glad you had another good day in Stamford. You are piecing together the bits of your ancestry and having a nice day out into the bargain.

Janet Reedman
December 24, 2007 @ 5:10 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi there. The JOHN REEDMAN who immigrated to Canada in the early 1900's is my Great Grandfather. His first wife, my great grandmother LUCY ANN GREY, died young and was buried in stamford--details of her grave are on this excellent website. He then married Elizabeth Faulkner who also died young. His 3rd wife was Florence, who was much younger than him--and also the family maid! This caused family problems and he was bought out of the family business and immigrated to Canada,along with his children by LUCY,including my grandfather STANLEY REEDMAN. The family house still stands in Stamford,can't remember the street now, but it's just outside the medieval boundary, and is a Victorian  building bearing the name 'STANLEY HOUSE' (so the name stanley must have some import to the family as well.)
My dad was Stan's youngest son, COURTNEY REEDMAN; he was a tank driver in the Sherbrook Fusiliers in WWII  and while in England met my mother, Sheila Featherstone. They were married for 50 years and both are buried in Victoria, Canada. I have a brother, PAUL  REEDMAN, and a sister DIANE HEATHCOTE, both in Canada, though I myself have lived in England for 15 years.

Paul Reedman
December 31, 2007 @ 5:59 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Janet
I believe I am your cousin. Where abouts in England are you living? We'll have to meet up. As you've probably read my great great grandfather was Ben Reedman, John's brother. I have the full family tree with over 700 names in. If you would like a copy just let us know and I'll email it to you. One riddle I've been dying to know is why did Lucy Ann Grey and Elizabeth Faulkener die young. Was it TB, smallpox or some other common disease of that era? I keep in contact with Janice Goll nee McArhur alot who is Harry's granddaughter. She has given me loads of other information including the Reedman book "In those days". Another thing I've always wanted to know as well is what happened to the business Reedman and Sons. Have looked at various business directories and the last known date I've found it in is 1919. It might have just fizzled out as a result of the first world war. But who knows. Happy New Year to you and everyone else on the site and hope to hear from you soon. Paul