Topic Originator: James Davies
Post Date September 8, 2005 @ 2:22 PM
 Great War Research - Stamford Lincolnshire England
 Herbert Reedman
 RE: Great War Research - Stamford Lincolnshire England
 RE: Great War Research - Stamford Lincolnshire England

James Davies
September 8, 2005 @ 2:22 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I am researching the names on Stamford's War Memorials from the Great War.
It seemed a shame to me  that many of these men (and one woman) appeared to have been largely forgotten  except on one day a year-11 November. I decided to try to build a picture of their pre-war lives and military service to help others to remember and research  the sacrifice they made.

I have built up a database of almost 300 Stamfordians who died during the war, and a further 1500+ who served and survived.
Would be interested in hearing from anyone who can add to the story of these Stamfordians, or if I can be of assistance to those researching their family members' role in the Great War.
jjdavies1000@hotmail.com

Paul Reedman
March 30, 2006 @ 10:48 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My great grandfather called Herbert Reedman was a corporal in WW1 and came from Stamford. His regiments were South Staffordshire, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. If you have any info that would be a great help.
Kate: Anyone have information for Paul?

James Davies
March 30, 2006 @ 10:51 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Paul,

I don't have my database to hand but can confirm the following:

Herbert appears in "Stamford and the Great War" on page 109 on a list of men from the town who served. There's a copy in the town library I believe, if not I can email you a scan.

He doesn't appear on list dated Dec 1914 which shows men either already serving abroad or having volunteered by that date. The only Reedmans are:
W. Reedman, Barnack, Pte 3853, 4th Lincs
R.C. Reedman, Barnack, Pte 3245 4th Lincs
G.H. Reedman, Wittering, Pte 7th Northants

He appears in the 1918 Absent Voter List:

"Kings Road
Reedman, Herbert James, 71398, Sgt, 105th Bd HQ, Sherwood Foresters."

The 105th Brigade were part of the 35th Division and including the 15th Sherwood Foresters.
His entry in the AVL (a source rife with errors) would suggest that Herbert was attached to the brigade from his battalion, perhaps as a runner, signaller or other specialized role.

Hope the above is of help. If and when I get an opportunity to see if he's mentioned in the Mercury I will let you know if he's mentioned.

James
Kate:  Thanks James and also for your email.  Sorry about your computer problems.  Reminds me to get my stuff backed-up!  Thanks for the compliment about the website.  Paul will I am sure post you a reply here.

Paul Reedman
March 30, 2006 @ 10:52 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thanks alot James thats absolutely brilliant. I'm hopefully going down to Stamford next week so I'll look for that book. I live in Howden East Yorkshire but it only takes an hour and a half to get down. If you find out any more let us know. Thanks again. Paul