Thread Topic: GREAT WAR - YPRES - Ted PATRICK
Topic Originator: James
Post Date November 2, 2005 @ 10:08 AM
 GREAT WAR - YPRES - Ted PATRICK
 RE: GREAT WAR - YPRES - Ted PATRICK
 RE: GREAT WAR - YPRES - Ted PATRICK

James
November 2, 2005 @ 10:08 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Private Edward Henry Patrick was my great uncle. He was the seventh of ten children (3 boys, 7 girls) born to John and Mary Patrick in 1895. His father John worked at Melbournes' brewery as a maltster journeyman and died as a result of being crushed by a barrel at the brewery in 1901. The youngest of the family at that time was only one year old,  so the responsibility of head of the family and bread winner fell to the eldest son John William (my grandfather) who was only 12. John William obtained a job at Williamson Cliff brickworks,  where he worked on the brick presses. Here he lost 2 fingers in the press making him ineligible for military service. Ted joined the territorial army before the war,  so was in action from 1914. Ted died from wounds he sustained the previous day in the third Battle of Ypres (Passchendale) on the 27th of September 1917 aged 22. He is buried at Hooge Crater cemetery. His family have visited his grave 3 times. His memory is held with great pride.
Regards, James
Thank you for that interesting information about your family James and the part they played in Stamford life and in the Great War. Have you tried looking in the Stamford Mercury for the report on John Patrick's accident?  The Library hold microfiche of the Mercury and you might be able to find the report if you have a good idea of the date of the accident.

James Davies
January 25, 2006 @ 1:00 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi James,

I was very interested to read your entry. I have been researching Stamford's war dead from the Great War and have a little info on Ted, mainly taken from a 1918 notice in the Stamford Mercury.

Would be happy to email a scan the relevant page and the background info that I've found on him.

Regards,

James Davies

James Kudlinski
January 25, 2006 @ 5:23 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thanks for responding James. I would be very interested in seeing any information you have on Ted as my knowledge is fairly limited. Unfortunatly all the correspondance he sent home was destroyed in 1966.
My e mail is jb.kudlinski@btinternet.com.
Regards

James