Ancestor Gateway Forum - GREAT WAR GATEWAY New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Missing War Memorials
Topic Originator: Michael Peck
Post Date February 14, 2006 @ 6:23 AM
 Missing War Memorials
 Missing War Memorials

Michael Peck
February 14, 2006 @ 6:23 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

As many will know a group is trying to record all the war memorials in Lincolnshire. We have 3 missing at the moment and I wonder if anyone can help us trace what has happened to the below:-
1. Woolsthorpe by Belvoir Methodist Church had a WW1 memorial, when the chapel was visited it was being stripped (benches against the walls etc) and the memorial couldn't be found. Anyone know if it's still there, or where it's gone?
2. Brigg Catholic Memorial. This was a white crucified Christ on a black cross, the chapel was demolished c 1966 when the new church was built. Anyone any idea where this memorial went?
3. Great Gonerby Boer War Memorial dedicated to Edward Henry Barker interior of St Sebastian Church. When visited the church was being prepared for building work inside, all other memorials were found but this one was not (may have been hidden behind the plastic coverings around the organ etc). Anyone know if it's still there, or where it's gone?
Thanks for any help.
Mike.

Joan Abrahams
September 3, 2011 @ 1:11 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Dear Sir
I read that the memorial to Edward Henry Barker is missing from the church.  Wes it ever found.  I have taken a particulat interest in this soldier because he has two graves in Phillipolis, South African.  One beautiful, large white marble cross erected on the spot where he fell by his fiance and another iron cross placed in the cemetery by the League of Loyal Women.
Do you by any chance have any information about this soldier?  It is such a sad, sad story.
Sincerely, Joan Abrahams.