|Thread Topic: Kirkby Underwood (St Michael's & All Saints'
Topic Originator: Michael Peck
Post Date September 25, 2006 @ 1:58 PM
The war memorials at Kirkby Underwood ((St Mary and All Saints) have been recorded. There are two, one covering both WW1 and WW2 while the second (a window) is for WW1 only - and this appears to be missing one name (Hill) which appears on the roll. There is an associated plaque with the window, this shows some names and so is included. The window shows ranks and arms of service, the roll merely shows ranks and names. Names recorded are:
Pte Bertie Evlyn Rudkin/Pte Ernest Henry Rudkin/Pte John Thomas Wyer/Pte Richard Christian/Pte Christopher Hill. 1939 - 1945. Major John Holderness.
Window - Pvte Bertie Evlyn Rudkin Lincs Regiment/Pvte Ernest Henry Rudkin Royal Berkshire Regiment/Pvte John Thomas Wyer Kings Own Royal Lancashire Regiment/Pvte Richard Christian Labour Corps
Associated plaque - The memorial window at the east end of the chancel was designed and executed by Messrs Burlinson and Grylls Window Artists. London. It was unveiled by W Dyson Esq of Bulby Hall and dedicated by Rev Canon W W Layng Rector of Rippingale and Rural Dean of the Deanery on 24th October 1920.
John Smithson Barstow MA Rector, Henry Burbank, Thomas Wyer Churchwardens.