Thread Topic: Frederick William BROOKS
Topic Originator: Kate
Post Date October 24, 2005 @ 6:00 AM
 Frederick William BROOKS
 RE: Frederick William BROOKS
 RE: Frederick William BROOKS

Kate
October 24, 2005 @ 6:00 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I discovered through my ancestor research, that my grandfather, Frederick William BROOKS had served in the Artillery and went through the seige at Ladysmith and had fought in the battle at Waggon Hill and other battles in the Boer War.
I understand the seige of Ladysmith took place at a railway station.  I now regard him as a war hero who was mentally  scarred by the battles he had endured. I wonder if you know where I could find out if he was awarded medals for these battles? I have only one photograph of Frederick which is of him in the local football team. Frederick was born in Headington Oxford and died in Billingborough Lincolnshire.

Paul Reedman
October 9, 2006 @ 2:55 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Kate
I was just looking through that Boer war website I mentioned and found a few Brooks. Here is whats listed:
Brooks, Frederick    41575, Trooper*    35th Bn. I.Y.
Brooks, Frederick George    32853, Trooper    90th Coy., 23rd Bn. I.Y.
Brooks, Frederick James    34751, Trooper    67th Coy., 18th Bn. I.Y.
I know the one you were looking for was Frederick William Brooks so don't know if that one at the top is your one.
I've got the blokes email address who owns the website. Let me know if you want it and i'll give it to you
Kate:  Yes, thanks for that Paul.  Wonder if it might be my Frederick?
I'm sure he must have received some medals in the campaigns but don't have any info.

David
August 28, 2007 @ 1:59 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Kate.
Try this site www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
It worked for me.I found my dad's "first world war" medal records and for a small fee downloaded a print out of original documents.
Your party should have at least a campaign medal.
Regards.
David
Thanks David.  I don't think they cover the Boer War yet.  I couldn't find it on there.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll keep looking and perhaps it will be added at a later date. Kate