Austin Street/Bath Row

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD CORNERS - PLACES TO SEE- always check time,date,venue on official website before visiting New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Austin Street/Bath Row
Topic Originator: Sue
Post Date February 12, 2006 @ 8:21 AM
 Austin Street/Bath Row

Sue
February 12, 2006 @ 8:21 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

On my one and only visit to England from Australia, I was determined to visit Stamford knowing that my great grandfather, James Hasleby was born and raised there. I only had 3 hours to wander around and see as much as I could in that time. I headed straight for All Saints, St Mary's, St George's and St Martin's as the family of Hasleby/Hazelby had been married/baptised and buried from all three churches. Then I wandered to Austin St and tried to imagine which house they lived in according to the census records. ( 2 Austin St - 1861), then along Bath's Row. Up to the George Hotel for a look around and was delighted to speak to someone who was only too glad to give me a run down of the history. Back to a little bookshop/tourist shop and purchased a few old picture postcards, and a tea towel to take home. I was just so appreciative that I had been given the opportunity to walk on the same cobbled and stone streets of my forebears and to see first hand this wonderful old township, so well preserved.
Kate: Thanks for that Sue.  So glad you enjoyed your short stay in Stamford. Stamford has been used for several films lately, Pride & Prejudice, Middlemarch (which was a tv production) and now Burghley House just outside of Stamford is being used for the Da Vinci Code. Must be something about the town that appeals.  Hope you visit again sometime and give it a bit longer.