All Saints Brewery

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD CORNERS - PLACES TO SEE- always check time,date,venue on official website before visiting New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: All Saints Brewery
Topic Originator: Kate
Post Date May 13, 2007 @ 1:44 PM
 All Saints Brewery
 RE: All Saints Brewery
 All Saints Brewery - copper vats

Kate
May 13, 2007 @ 1:44 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Situated in All Saints Street, Stamford near Stamford Post Office. Walk from Post Office up towards St Peter's Hill. 
Brewery is almost opposite Harrison & Dunn.

Many a pint has been brewed here at what was Melbournes Brewery. Manager for many years Dick Walmsley and Brewery House was behind the Brewery facing onto Scotgate.

Did you work at Melbournes?  If so tell us about it on Stamford Memories Gateway.

Dan Entwisle
January 3, 2008 @ 10:05 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My uncle Frank Roffe managed the museum in the 1980s.  Not sure of the dates, it was after he left Fiat Allis when that shut in I guess 1980/81.

Clem Walden
July 2, 2008 @ 8:55 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Remember it well, I would pass it every day on the way to the old bluecoat school (top of All Saints St ) almost next to the Wheat Sheaf pub, this was in the 40s.  Harveys bakers shop was on the corner & we would call in for two half penny buns for our lunch, Wendy Harvey would look after us young school boys, the smell of Stamford then! Harveys bakers, The Brewery, Miles Woodyard, Bennetts Sweet Factory, The Slaughter House, the old sewage works, & what about the sounds of Stamford, Blackstones Buzzer, The Brickyard buzzer, the old Steam Trains LNER. Can anyone remember more? Years later when I started in business with my partner Norman Steemson we carried out many electrical contracts at All Saints Brewery 1960/70s, I still recall working on the bottling plant, & watching the guys cleaning out the big copper vats, ready for the next brew. I also had many a free pint, and remember several local individuals who worked there. Melbourn's was quite a large brewery for a small Town & had many pubs within the area & beyond. fond memories.
Kate: what about the air-raid siren and the all-clear?

Clem Walden
July 3, 2008 @ 11:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Kate thanks for the "air raid siren's" my memory fails me at times? however you have reminded me where I would sleep in the war years, when the family lived at Tolthorpe Square, my bed was in the coal house which was in our kitchen, we also had land army girls staying with us, as well as evacuee's, we also had a young married couple from London, Elsie & George, Elsie got a job at Blackstone's & would go to work with my dad, George her husband was in the fleet air-arm at  RAF Wittering, the couple still keep in contact with both my sisters & I, (they are in their late eighties/nineties now).
Kate:  I think they still did the siren for a few years after the end of hostilities.  I think it was used for something else - can't remember what - was it the firebrigade?  I can still hear that "all clear" sound.

Clem Walden
July 11, 2008 @ 11:04 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Kate, I think you may be right "Firebrigade" all clear, I can still hear it!
I think the firebrigade was in Scotgate then? next door to the Star & Garter pub, not sure though? my memory plays a few tricks on me these days? senior moments are a problem?
Kate: Hi Clem.  If you have a look a bit further down the topics, there is one "The Old Fire Station" where there are quite a few contributions reminiscing about the Scotgate years.  Funny to think the fire station was there and kids used to gather in the road outside to watch all the activity.  After all, it was the A1!!!  As someone mentioned, if you look next to Truesdales Hospital you can see the remains of the old RED downpipe which seems to be the only remaining bit of the Fire Station.