Ancestor Gateway Forum - GARDENING FORUM New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Greenhouse Gardening
Topic Originator: Kate
Post Date May 8, 2007 @ 10:31 AM
 Greenhouse Gardening
 RE: Greenhouse Gardening

Kate
May 8, 2007 @ 10:31 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Send your thoughts on greenhouse gardening.  Have you a successful tale to tell?  Useful tips for growing your plants in the greenhouse  welcome.

Jenny
May 13, 2007 @ 2:03 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

In the 50s and 60s my dad grew tomatoes in his greenhouse.  I used to love to get in there and smell that wonderful tomato-growing smell. Its not often found in today's tomatoes and I love it when I find some that smell like those ones he grew.  He used to remove the side shoots and get so many branches and then stop the top.  We always had a large crop and he had bowls of tomatoes all over the house even though he gave a lot away.  We had a favourite food receipe with the tomatoes.  You had to fry a sliced onion in a little butter in a saucepan.  When this had browned you added chopped tomatoes and cooked them til soft and edible.  You then removed the pan from the heat and whisked up one or two eggs (depending on the amount of tomatoes you had used).  You then stirred in the whisked egg. and cooked gently for a further two or three minutes til it thickened.  You then served with some nice buttered bread.  Yummy! PS don't forget pepper and salt during cooking process.
Kate:  Sounds great  Jenny, must give it a try.  Anyone else grown something and has a favourite receipe for it use?