1960s Long Distance Walking Craze

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: 1960s Long Distance Walking Craze
Topic Originator: Mike Laughton
Post Date March 18, 2013 @ 8:40 AM
 RE: 1960s Long Distance Walking Craze

Mike Laughton
March 18, 2013 @ 8:40 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Does anyone else remember the long distance walking craze of the early 1960s?
I can't remember exactly which year it all happened but I think it was around 1963.  
The craze was inspired by a woman who became a national figure with her long distance walks -  including Edinburgh to London and John O Groats to Lands End.
She was a foreign-born British national. I think her name was Dr Barbara something! She brought out the crowds when she passed through Stamford on her Edinburgh to London walk.
Anyway her efforts inspired people all over the country to organize their own local longish-distance walks. I remember that locally there was a 22 mile walk from Kettering to Stamford and another from Stamford to Grantham in which scores of local people took part.
I know these events took place on a Sunday and received prominent coverage in the Stamford Mercury.
I can't remember whether they were actually races but I think very few people treated them as such. They were just happy to complete the walk.
I remember that Tony Wallton and Ike (Ivor) Baker from Stamford Operatic Society (who had both been National Servicemen in their youth) figured prominently in the walk to Grantham until they reached the pub at the top of the hill leading down into Grantham and found their thirst too overpowering to continue for the last mile.
Oxo Ward was also an enthusiastic participant as well as several other well-known local personalities who are still alive.
I remember that my mate Binnie Barwell was the last competitor home in the Kettering walk. He entered Stamford during the late afternoon looking like some latter-day John the baptist with a staff in his hand, sandals on his feet and trousers rolled up to his knees.
At various times throughout history there have been long-distance walking crazes. During the early 1800s it was called Pedestrianism.
Anyone else have memories of the 1960s craze?
Kate. good new topic Mike.

Kevin
March 18, 2013 @ 2:36 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Dr. Barbara Moore - Russian born.

Oeter
March 18, 2013 @ 6:26 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I well remember Dr Barbara (?) walking into Stamford down Casterton Road. There was quite a crowd there to see her pass and many joined her on the road, including myself. As a result of this I found myself in a photo on the front page of the Mercury (my only claim to fame).

Interesting to see the names Tony Walton and Oxo Ward mentioned as I remember them both from my days in Stamford am-dram circles both on the stage and behind the scenes.

barry hilliard
June 23, 2013 @ 9:01 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

i was 11 when i walked from kettering to stamford then did the grantham one on my bike steels the removals took us there and picked us up at the finnish . barry hilliard

Nigel Cross
June 24, 2013 @ 3:58 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I used to walk from Stamford to South Luffenham to see my girlfriend of the time. They say love could draw you farther than a cannon could blow you. Used to meet her in the" Boot and Shoe" if my memory is correct. Happy Days.

Mark Walmsley
July 31, 2013 @ 3:00 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Dr Barbara Moore was the wife of the famous sculptor,Henry Moore.

Kevin
August 1, 2013 @ 7:25 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Not the case, I'm afraid. Henry Moore married Irina Radetsky in 1929 and they remained married until his death in 1986. Both are buried at St. Thomas's Church in Perry Green, Herts. Barbara Moore died in the late 1970's in her mid-seventies, comprehensive proof that lots of walking does you no good whatsoever!