Secrets of Stamford School

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Secrets of Stamford School
Topic Originator: Ryan
Post Date May 19, 2013 @ 11:48 AM
  Stamford School/tunnel

Ryan
May 19, 2013 @ 11:48 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Can anyone shed some light on tunnels/catacombs/places of secret interest on Stamford School grounds? I have heard a lot of rumours.

Roger Partridge
May 20, 2013 @ 9:58 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Only sketchy info, I'm afraid!

It seems there was a passage running from under the chapel, which was discovered in the 1920s(?) but the then headmaster ordered it to be filled in.

Quickly glancing through Basil Deed's "A History of Stamford School" (2nd Ed 1982) there appears to be no reference to this. However when I have more time, I'll have another look.

John Tyers
May 28, 2013 @ 5:53 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The Headmaster who filled in the tunnel would have been the late Canon Day (a hard taskmaster of the old school).  He probably thought the boys might escape through it!

Richard Campbell.
June 13, 2013 @ 6:59 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Not  only in Stamford school......there are supposed to be tunnels all over Stamford......I wonder if anyone has catalogued them.....or is it just rumour?

My Grand Parents used to talk about them....supposedly linking Churches,Barn Hill, Burghley House and Wothorpe riuns.

Richard

Peter Leatherbarrow
July 25, 2014 @ 2:51 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

There was one in our cellar at 20, St Georges Square that was filled in during the late 19th century. Another breeze block wall was erected  in front of it in about 1958 by Bowman's who were the builders who worked for Burleigh Estates who owned the house. My Dad placed a time capsule behind it with several coins, books and a colour supplement and newspapers before it was finally bricked up. The whole house was haunted by a ghost we called 'George'. The cellar concerned can just be seen to the left of the front door at pavement level where there was a window /hatch where the coal was delivered. The most haunted room was on the first floor  with the three windows above the front door and looking towards the right of it.