Stamford Pubs

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Stamford Pubs
Topic Originator: Rog
Post Date July 17, 2005 @ 9:04 AM
 Stamford Pubs
 RE: Stamford Pubs
 Stamford Pubs/photo King's Head
  Stamford Pubs/photo Millstone
 Stamford Pubs/Scotgate Inn
 Stamford Pubs/pints lined up
  Stamford Pubs/Greyhound
 Stamford Pubs/cellar bar
 Stamford Pubs/"The Grotto"
 Pubs/"Greyhound" air raid shelter
 Stamford Pubs/slaked thirst at Greyhound
  Pubs/Early BOGOF?
 Stamford Pubs/snookered
 Pubs/close and personal
 Stamford Pubs/Carpenter's Arms
 Pubs/Carpenters' Arms
 Stamford Pubs/Carpenters' Arms
 Pubs/mssge for Terry
 Sun&RailwayInn Alfred Rollings1925
  Pubs/Carpenters Arms
 Pubs/Sun(&Railway)
 Pubs/is there index of people?
 Pubs/I'll ask Midge(98)
  Stamford Pubs
  Stamford Pubs/the Vaults
  Stamford Pubs
 Stamford Pubs
 Stamford Pubs Freare brothers
  Stamford Pubs/Olive Branch
 Stamford Pubs
 Stamford Pubs
 Lost Pub detectives
  Stamford Pubs
 Stamford Pubs/publicans
 Stamford Pubs
 RE: The Vaults
  Stamford Pubs
  Stamford Pubs
  Stamford Pubs

Rog
July 17, 2005 @ 9:04 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The Pear Tree
Broad Street, Stamford (formerly The Lincolnshire Poacher)

Pear Tree Stamford

©: Photo copyright Stamfordtown.com

DOUBLE CLICK ON PHOTO TO GO TO LARGER IMAGE
CLICK BACK BUTTON TO RETURN TO THIS PAGE

Around 1981 I made a list with my grandfather of all the pubs in Stamford that he could remember.

Does anyone else have any memories of these, particularly those marked * Closed down (i.e. by 1981)?

Drum & Monkey Casterton Road
The Green Man Scotgate
The Gateway Scotgate
The White Swan (now The Punch Bowl) Scotgate (run by the Gibb family late sixties early seventies - info supplied by Nigel Cross)
Black Horse *
Star & Garter *
The Scotgate Landlord and landlady during 1950s Mr and Mrs Adge Brown.

The Greyhound (became Vents Wine Bar) Broad Street
The Chequers Inn *
Wheatsheaf * Mr & Mrs Tyers and Mrs Clark (see John Freear's posting below)
Albion Tavern St Peters Hill
The Millstone late Alf and Gladys Prickett parents of Mrs Wray of Truesdale Stamford. Mrs Wray of Truesdales worked in The Millstone.
Mrs Wray of Truesdale Scotgate died 10 Octobeer 2005 aged 77 years.  She attended St John's school, All saints' School and Fane School Stamford. The Barber family late sixties, early seventies (info. supplied by Nigel Cross)
Burghley Arms * Broad Street
Golden Fleece Sheep Market
The Castle * was at one time the Shepherd & Shepherdess (see Clem's posting on this)
Prince of Wales *
London Inn Castle Street, used to be run by Kathy & Neville in 70s and 80s
Cross Keys *
St Mary's Vaults St Marys Street
Stamford Hotel Tap *

The Balloon * (Balloon House on wall - Blackfriars Street)
William Laughton landlord 1890 to early 1900s. (info. from James Kudlinski)
General Gordon see  John Freear's posting re The Balloon and General Gordon pubs Blackfriars Street. General Gordon previously Fat Boys
Welland *
The Reindeer *(is now The Daniel Lambert in St. Leonard's Street)
Carpenter's Arms *
Olive Branch * St Leonard's Street
White Hart *
The Stag & Pheasant Broad Street (added by John Freear)
King's Head
Queen's Head *
Boat & Railway *
Anchor
Bull & Swan St Martins
Waggon & Horses 47 - 51 High Street St Martins (where Daniel Lambert died)
Red Cow *
Telegraph *
Sun & Railway *
George Tap *
Exeters Arms *
Fox & Hounds *
O'Brien Arms St Paul's Street
Beehive *
Great Northern Hotel *
Fitzwilliam Arms *

Pineapple * Landlord Mr Jack Raynham
Crown & Anchor * St Marys Hill
Half Moon St Paul's Street
Victoria Ryhall Road (previously The Parting Pot)
Hit Or Miss, Foundry Road
The Hurdler New Cross Road
North Fields Drift Road
Dolphin North Street
Rising Sun *
RoeBuck * Broad Street
The Horns
The Vaults * St Mary's Street
Lincolnshire Poacher Nags Head Passage Broad Street
Crown Hotel Red Lion Square
Marsh Harrier

Royal Oak, White Lion,  White Horse, Hole in the Wall, Foresters Arms.(added to the list by Clem
Rolts Arms
Rolts Arms was there from 1847,( 25 Scotgate) prior to that it was the Masons Arms, ancestors of mine were there, Robert and Ann Goodwin he Stonemason of Stamford,afterwards the daughter of Robert and Ann, Catherine Jane married Robert Middleton and they carried on the trade. (information added by Margaret Clark)

Lord Nelson * in Red Lion street,  Mrs Mickey Wray and Ronald Wray landlady and landlord. Later Mr and Mrs Wray managed the Crown and Woolpack. in Scotgate.
Editor's Note:  Thanks very much for that Rog. I think a lot of people will find this interesting.  Does anyone remember any of the pubs which have closed?  Perhaps you have a story about one of them, open or closed?  Let us know. Have Rog and his grandfather missed any out?  Or got any wrong?  Give us your knowledge on the subject.

Information from David (3rd March 2007) (information researched from Stamford Mercury 1846/7)
Stamford Pubs/Inns/Hotels.
Some names I have gleaned from the archives of the Stamford Mercury 1846/47.
Some I know have already been listed but I have added a bit more info.

1)     George and Angel Inn. (House of Thomas Woodward).
2)     Standwells Hotel.
3)     Stamford Hotel.
4)     Crown Inn. (Mr. Lumby).
5)     Roebuck Inn. (John Walford, occupier) For Sale. Appears to have been sold to a John Towers. The Inn location is described as being in the centre of Broad Street near Corn Hill and adjoining the Meat Market. Had its own granary and brew house plus extensive yard.
6)     The Three Tuns. (St Leonard's Steet)
7)     The Green Man. Scotgate. (That well-known roadhouse). John Britton was the occupier. For sale. It too had a granary and brew house.
8)     Coach and Horses. St Martins.
9)     The Glaziers Arms. Scotgate. To Let.
10)     The Dolphin.
11)     The Anchor Public house.
12)     Taken from another source &The Half Moon Inn. Was rebuilt in 1938.The older fabric of the building was found to date back to the 13th century.
Kate:  Thanks so much David.  This is so helpful in establishing some information and proper detail of the pubs.The pub names seem to have changed from generation to generation.  Was the Coach and Horses the same as the Waggon & Horses I wonder?

Millstone, All Saints' Street,  Stamford

Millstone Inn, Stamford

© Photo copyright Stamfordtown.com

DOUBLE CLICK ON THE PHOTO TO SEE A LARGER IMAGE
TO RETURN TO THIS PAGE USE BACK BUTTON

Clem
March 26, 2006 @ 8:46 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The "Castle" was at one time "The Shepherd & Shepherdess" & owned by one of my families decendants, it was sold by auction for £15, on the 29th May 1835, at the Stamford Hotel the agent who dealt with the sale, was W.Edwards.the solicitor was a Mr,Atkinson from Mkt. Deeping.

have these old pubs been missed:- Royal Oak, White Lion, Rolts Arms, White Horse, Hole in the Wall, Foresters Arms.???

Ed:  Does anyone know the name of a pub that used to be in Blackfriars Street?  I have a query as follows  from Paul Reedman whose ancestor Ben Reedman used to run the pub.

Ben's Pub  was on Blackfriars Street. What was it called
and what happened to it? Was it knocked down? bombed
in one of the wars? I understand there are some modern
houses built there now but made to look old to keep
the character of the town.
If you know anything about a pub in Blackfriars Street please contact us either on the forum or send a message to kate@ancestorgateway.com

john freear
March 28, 2006 @ 1:30 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The pub in Blackfriars Street was called The Balloon and run by "Ma Bland" (in the early fifties) when we teenagers/early twenties danced regularly on a Saturday night at the Assembly Rooms. we would go there for a quick drink during the interval. Like many small independent pubs in those days it was not "salubrious", they were always somewhat dowdy but very welcoming and friendly, we enjoyed them! It was used perhaps mostly by the men who worked at the gas works, during lunch hour, when betting on horseraces of their day went on, however illegally. The building has not changed, it is on the North side of the street and either the sign bracket is still there or you can see where it was. The other pub close by was the General Gordon, pulled down recently to make way for new housing(opposite side of the road and bordering Wharf Road)
Kate: Thanks for that John.  It will be particularly helpful to Paul Reedman as his ancestor, Benjamin Reedman b.1852 stamford, died 1933 Stamford was the landlord in 1881. Later in 1891 he was an Auctioneer, 1901 Estate Agent and 1919 Baliff and Town Councillor. from 1891 to 1901 he lived at 2 Westview Terrace and in 1919 was listed at Belvedere, Emlyn Street, finally, 45 Casterton Road.  He got around a bit but obviously loved old Stamford. Paul has since discovered that Ben was not the landlord of The Balloon see below.

Kate
March 28, 2006 @ 7:06 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes John, I saw this as I drove past this afternoon - it has a plaque on the wall (Balloon House).

Paul Reedman
March 29, 2006 @ 11:03 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thanks for that info on the pubs John. I found out that the General Gordon was previously called the Foundry Arms run by a Jane Wardle. This was at 8 Blackfriars Street and my great great Grandfather Ben lived at 9. I thought he ran a pub but it looks like he may have run an old off license. In the business directories he's down as a wine and spirit merchant. Thanks for looking. Paul

James Kudlinski
April 1, 2006 @ 8:36 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My great great grandfather William Laughton ran the Balloon in the late 1890`s early 1900`s. Prior to him taking over the pub he was a shoe maker living in Olive Branch yard off St Leonards Street. His son Arthur (my great grandfather who was a shoe maker in Ryhall) took over his father's business moving with his family into Olive Branch yard. Arthur died in 1903 aged only 36 leaving 4 daughters and a wife. William was heart broken by his son's early death and retired to the house with the bay window at the bottom of Albert Road where he too died later that same year.
From the memories of my late grandmother, Arthur's eldest daughter, her father was a very active man who she was devoted to. He was an original member of the towns silver band playing both the cornet and the tuber.
James
Kate: nice to hear from you James.  Thanks for that info., I will put William Laughton's name in the list above.On the other note re town's silver band, I think we will start another topic  -town band and see if we can get to know a bit more about band members, etc.

john freear
April 4, 2006 @ 1:19 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The Wheatsheaf.
Time 1950s
You went through the front door and there was a very small bar on the right hand side.The bar counter was in the  north east corner and tended by the tenant Mr Tyers. To us youngsters he was an old man, how old I dont know to this day, perhaps  late 50s early 60s. You ordered your drinks which were duly delivered (I'll tell you how later). After you had picked them up Mr Tyers would wipe the mahogany bar top with a damp cloth after which you were not allowed to put your drink back onto the counter. There wasn't much point in sitting down in the bar either since you were always sitting in someone's seat who"would be here in a few minutes"
To the left of the entrance passage was another small room, not much used.
Towards the back of the premises were two other rooms, the first higher than the entrance passage and the next higher than the last.
The first was simply a room with bench seats and tables. The second was where it was "all at" for us. We played darts, cards (for a few pennies)and generally enjoyed ourselves without, I might add, wrecking telephone boxes or causing anyone any aggravation when we came out.
There were two (to us)  elderly  ladies, Mrs Tyers and Mrs Clark. Every Beer drink you ordered they had to go down into the cellar, draw from the barrel come up the stairs and take to the relevant room, remembering of course who had ordered it or them. In our case there would be perhaps 10-15 of us in separate groups of 2-4or5.

VERY HAPPY DAYS, believe me, to youngsters today they may sound mundane not to say boring: to us they were GREAT.
Kate:  I really enjoyed reading that John.  It sounds nice to go out and enjoy a good time and know the boundaries.  Mr Tyers sounds a bit formidable - you couldn't put your drink back down once he had wiped the bar top.  A few rules though, and you knew where you were.  You were then able to enjoy yourself.  Anyone else remember The Wheatsheaf?

Editor
April 5, 2006 @ 1:26 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The Hit Or Miss
I can remember evenings spent at the Hit Or Miss  in the garden at the back.  It used to be ideal for parents to take their children.  There was a nice lawn where we could run around and have races.  A glass of lemonade was all we needed to quench our thirst in between the races.  In the meantime our parents got a nice break from us and a chat with the other groups of people sitting outside.  In the summer after a walk round town it was our favourite place to go.

john freear
April 21, 2006 @ 12:48 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

A friend drew my attention to the fact that The Stag and Pheasant does not appear in the list. This was immediately West of Newgates in Broad St. the building now a dentist's surgery.
Kate:  Thanks for that John.  I will add it to the list.  Hope to get a note of addresses etc. previous landlords with this list.

Paul Reedman
April 21, 2006 @ 8:05 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

There is an article about Stamford pubs in Lincolnshire Life. This is also available online.   If you go to www.lincolnshirelife.co.uk you can read the article.  My grandfathers pub Reedman Dining Rooms and GN Refreshment rooms is mentioned.
There is interesting information about  some of the pubs which have closed in the town, namely The Anchor, which is now Pizza Express, St Peter's Inn. the General Gordon, which was Fat Boys, the Victoria, formerly The Parting Pot (Ryhall Road) etc.  Go to the website to see the information provided. It is a very interesting article for those who are researching any of Stamford's old pubs.
Kate:  Thanks for that Paul.  Yes, I have had a look and found out quite a bit of info I didn't know.

Paul Reedman
May 31, 2006 @ 8:50 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Found out some more about my g g grandad Ben Reedman's pub at 9 Blackfriars Street. It was called G N Refreshment rooms with the G N standing for Great Northern. From the sounds of it most people referred to it as the Great Northern. It was also called Reedman's dining rooms. If anyone has any info can they let us know.
Kate: Thanks Paul.  Anyone have any info. on the Great Northern? Please post it to the site.

john freear
July 27, 2006 @ 1:31 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

In my recollection the "Great Northern" pub was at the East end of Water St. immediately opposite the LNER station. ie the Great Nothern railway line. Hell of a line, this, went all the way to Essendine!!! However in those days Essendine was a proper working junction and you could pick up a train there for Stamford if you were travelling down from the North without having to go all the way to Peterborough. You did need to be sure however that you made sure at your start point that the train would stop at Essendine. Halcyon days!!
Ed: Lets have some more memories of the Great Northern pub and also the Great Northern Railway Line.  Railway researchers comments welcome!

Kate
February 22, 2007 @ 1:09 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The Waggon and Horses, where Daniel Lambert died was at 47-51 High Street St. martin's - almost opposite The Bull and Swan and previously called The Marquis of Granby.

JohnDale McAllister
February 23, 2007 @ 9:47 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

During the early sixties the hosts in The Millstone were Bill & Dora. Dora died 1964/65 before my last visit although Bill was still there. The (Lincolnshire) Poacher in Broad Street was the pub to go for a quite night with your lady of choice-more upmarket shall we say.
Kate:  Thanks John - anyone else remember The Millstone in the early sixties?

David
February 24, 2007 @ 1:59 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Re the mention of the Kings Head.If my memory serves me right I think this pub was on Maiden Lane.If you approached from the High St it would have been located halfway down on the right.I recal it being a small operation with a tiny bar and saloon.It was run by a fellow called 'Sid' and his wife.I think the only reason to go there was it was never too busy so a game of darts could be had.Interestingly I believe it was an RAF hangout.'Sid" had all kinds of RAF memorabilia around the bar,squadron badges,patches,photos etc.I remember adding to his collection by presenting him with a squadron lapel badge and a ballpoint pen with the insignias of 62 squadron Woolfox Lodge."Allways on the alert".This was around the time period 1962.
Kate:  Thank you David.  Anyone else remember the RAF memorabilia?  Or did you frequent the King's Head at the time (1962).
This would be during that very cold winter or just after.

King's Head, Maiden Lane,  Stamford

King's Head Stamford

© Photo copyright Stamfordtown.com

DOUBLE CLICK ON THE PHOTO TO SEE A LARGER IMAGE
TO RETURN TO THIS PAGE USE BACK BUTTON

Nigel Cross
February 28, 2007 @ 3:47 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The Millstone in the late sixties early seventies was run by the Barber family.
The White Swan in Scotgate by the Gibb family, if i remember correctly, not Maurice, Barry and Robin though.
Can someone please tell me where the Reindeer pub was located, because i am sure it was around in the late sixties;  as a eighteen year old i frequented all the pubs in Stamford, like a lot of others i should think, but cannot recall where it was.

alan
March 2, 2007 @ 4:30 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The Reindeer was on St Leonard's St - it is now still a pub, the Daniel Lambert.
Kate:  Thanks Alan.  This has been a subject of debate in my family for a week or two, so mystery now solved. I should think Nigel will be saying "oh, yes, I think that's right".

David
March 3, 2007 @ 12:48 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Stamford Pubs/Inns/Hotels.
Some names I have gleaned from the archives of the Stamford Mercury 1846/47.
Some I know have already been listed but I have added a bit more info.

1)     George and Angel Inn. (House of Thomas Woodward).
2)     Standwells Hotel.
3)     Stamford Hotel.
4)     Crown Inn. (Mr. Lumby).
5)     Roebuck Inn. (John Walford, occupier) For Sale. Appears to have been sold to a John Towers. The Inn location is described as being in the centre of Broad Street near Corn Hill and adjoining the Meat Market. Had its own granary and brew house plus extensive yard.
6)     The Three Tuns. (St Leonard's Steet)
7)     The Green Man. Scotgate. (That well-known roadhouse). John Britton was the occupier. For sale. It too had a granary and brew house.
8)     Coach and Horses. St Martins.
9)     The Glaziers Arms. Scotgate. To Let.
10)     The Dolphin.
11)     The Anchor Public house.
12)     Taken from another source &The Half Moon Inn. Was rebuilt in 1938.The older fabric of the building was found to date back to the 13th century.
Kate:  Thanks so much David.  This is so helpful in establishing some information and proper detail of the pubs.The pub names seem to have changed from generation to generation.  Was the Coach and Horses the same as the Waggon & Horses I wonder?

David
March 22, 2007 @ 6:20 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

THE CASTLE. (Located approximately opposite the London Inn.)
Circa 1962/63.

I became acquainted with the Castle when I was in need of lodgings. I lived there for about a year.
The Castle at that time was no longer a pub but an overnight lodging house for lorry drivers plus two or three regular residents of which I was one.
     A quiet spoken Irishman named Joe Flaherty ran the place. He did most of the day-to-day running of the place including the breakfasts and evening meal with some help from a domestic lady.
     Joe told me that he had gone to Canada (Toronto) in the 1950s where he worked for the Canadian National Railway doing track maintenance, saved his pennies, returned to England and bought the Castle.
     I remember the building as having a side entrance on the east side that was on a small laneway that led down through a public parking lot and onto Bath Row. The side entrance was then the main entrance as the front doors on Castle st were sealed up. On the west side of the building there was a car dealership with a small forecourt that exposed the west side of the Castle. The interior of the building was laid out mainly as dormitories up stairs and downstairs. with two or three private rooms upstairs, one of which I shared with a chap from the Holbeach area who was doing an apprenticeship with Blackstone engineering way down on Ryhall rd. Downstairs there was a kitchen, a store room and a dining room.
     Living at the Castle had its interesting moments. Every day there was a new crop of guests, some you had seen before and some you had not. The evening meal times always generated some interesting and lively conversation from the dozen or so people around the table. One fellow that appeared from time to time always produced a large suitcase that was filled to the brim with stuff for sale such as razor blades.Another fellow claimed he could get you a pair of shoes of your specification the same day.      The Castle was a great central location and one did not have to walk very far for anything. The London Inn was within easy crawling distance. One of the downsides to living at the Castle was Joes strict 11pm curfew. This was real pain could have meant no late nights out. During the week I was able to wake up my roommate with a shower of small gravel against the bedroom window and he would come down the creaky stairs and let me in. I was always scared of waking up the lorry drivers, as they obviously needed their sleep. On the weekends it was more difficult to gain access as my roommate always went home to Holbeach. I worked out a routine of leaving the second story bathroom window unlatched before going out. On my return it was necessary     to prop a ladder up against the kitchen annexe and walk across the roof then haul myself up through the bathroom window and  voila I was home. Joe never mentioned anything about this, as I am sure he must have heard me sometimes.
     One day Joe asked me to take a look at something in his storeroom. Lo and behold it was the original pub sign that he had sign writer completely restore, there was a nicely painted picture of a ruined castle and the name THE CASTLE in bold letters. Now the problem was it had to be reinstalled and Joe designated me. I was none too keen as the sign was heavy and the location was awkward. Nevertheless I under took to do it, I still remember resting the tip of an extending ladder against the sign bracket and gingerly working my way up with sign in one hand and the other hand clutching the ladder rungs. It was a swing type of sign that had to be slid onto some spindles followed by washers and then secured by split pins. I always wondered if I had done a good enough job.
     Well my time at the Castle came to an end and I moved elsewhere in Stamford. I passed through Stamford in 1970 and Joe was still in business. But what of today?
Is the Castle still recognizable as such? Is the sign still up?
Is it possible that the Meadows restaurant is the former Castle?
If the sign is gone its possible that the present building owners have it stashed somewhere.
Kate:  Thanks for that David.  It will be interesting to see if anyone knows what happened to that sign.

Peter
July 11, 2007 @ 1:14 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

As I recall the Great Northern was on the corner opposite the station and next door to a yard that had been a brewery. The railway line was taken up in the mid 60's, I remember watching this being done as I travelled to work at Allis Chalmers in Essendine. In its heyday  express trains would drop off "slip" coaches some way before the station relying on momentum to carry them to the platform lay-by. The "coffee pot" would then pull them into Stamford. It was along this stretch of line coming down Stoke Bank that Mallard made her famous world record run.

Kate
July 11, 2007 @ 4:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Pubs - renamed

I noticed that The Scotgate has been renamed yet again.  It was renamed Dr. Thirsty's and then back again to The Scotgate.  I notice now it is called Harry's Bar (cocktails served).  Suppose this was after the famous Harry's Bar in Venice run by Cipriani chain and the favourite wateringhole in Venice of Ernest Hemingway and Woody Allen among others.

phil
March 25, 2008 @ 6:44 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

i remember the great northern on the corner opposite the station.for a time i was friendly with the landlords son robin,he was courting my sister then.it was a great pub as it was in northants,so the drinking went on into the early hours at weekends,, as the lincs police had no powers in northants ,and the peterboro police never bothered.great teenage memories!!

Peter
June 21, 2008 @ 10:25 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I had to add to this thread about my local, the General Gordan, which in the 70's was owned and run by Alan and Betty Jakes. They had two daughters, Julia and Davina.
This was the best pub ever, especially because our late night drinking parties there. I can remember several occasions when we were still drinking in there as the Riverside club was chucking out (2am). Why they never got raided by the police I shall never understand, but maybe it was because we weren't a rowdy crowd. Gentle singing as Don played his guitar, whilst his mum, Mrs Bentley, sat there singing with us. Another lady, Dorreen. Then there were  Alf and Cis standing around and playing "Push Penny", a more refined and strictly local game, akin to shove ha'penny.  There was another old retired RAF Wing Comm'dr, Chris, who smoked St. Bruno pipe tobacco in his roll ups!
Alf and Cis were retired barbers from St. Leonards Street.
Kate: Thanks for that extra info. Peter.  It should help to jogg a few memories.

Clem Walden
June 28, 2008 @ 8:33 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

don't remember Cis? but do remember Alf Frear barber in St Leonards Street, my father would take me for a haircut to Alf's in the 1940's I remember it well i was a small boy, Alf would put a piece of wood over the arms of his chair for me to sit on, then say to my dad "how do you want it cut tinker? at the time I also remember Alf Frear asking all his older male customers the following question as the paid, "do you need anythink for the weekend" as a small boy I had no idea what he meant? but I soon found out as I used Alf Frears barbers up to 1960, so did many locals, I also played darts for the General Gordon in 1957 & knew Alan Jakes & all those you have mentioned, apart from Cis? was this Alf's mother? as he lived at the barbers shop with her? the only man I recall by the name of Cis? was Cis Bains he used the General Gorden but was not a barber. perhaps someone can help?
Kate: Hi Clem.  Thanks for that.  Anyone know these characters?

Geoff Espin
August 25, 2008 @ 3:54 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Wasn't it Cis Baines that used to keep the bike shop in St Martins?
There was also Jack Baines that lived in Brazenose Lane and used to drive the Aveling Barford steam roller for Stamford Borough Council for my dad, Jimmy Espin, in the early 1960s
Kate:  Thanks Geoff.  I vaguely remember Jimmy - and I well remember your sister, Jean who worked in the Treasurer's Department at the Town Hall at the time when Ernie Matthews was Borough Treasurer and  Miss Frisby was the senior clerk and   main standby.  I think she was known as "Friz" to her friends.

Roger
August 28, 2008 @ 9:12 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Geoff, remember you from Stamford School in 60s - Definitely bike shop and I think also sub PO kept by J G Baines and his wife in St Martins, daughter was Rachel but don't know wife's name. He actually designed and built his own bike in the 60s as there was an article and photo of Rachel with bike in the Mercury.

Andy Matthews
September 1, 2008 @ 11:10 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Just reading the thread about the General Gordon and Cis and Alf Freer.  Cis Freer was Alf's older brother and for many years he worked for the NAAFI and travelled the world.  It was only when he retired that he returned to Stamford to live with Alf (that was what he told me anyway!!)  They were indeed regulars at the General Gordon during the early 1980's when I used to call in most Friday and Saturday evenings to play pool.  Alf Freer might have been an old guy then but he was a very good pool player.  I can also remember the guy with his guitar and Doreen and her husband Joe- Doreen always played the 'one armed bandit' and usually won a few pennies each week.  Alan and Betty Jakes were excellent hosts and I remember spending many a late night lock-in there, and it is true - they were never raided.
Cis Baines was of the cycle shop in St Martins and she also ran the sub-Post Office there until it closed in the mid 1980's.  I don't remember her or her husband being customers at the General Gordon though.

Mark Bradshaw
January 17, 2009 @ 6:05 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

You may have known my grandad, Louis Burridge. He liked the General Gordon so much he eventually moved in! He died there in 1983.

Clem Walden
May 4, 2010 @ 2:13 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The "Olive Branch" St Leonards street was run by Mr & Mrs Jessop,
The "Roe Buck" Broad street by the Mostons.
The "Vaults" St Marys street by Squadron Leader Coles.
The Crown & Woolpack by Mr & Mrs Johnson.
Mrs Wray (Mickey) was nee Pricket her father Alf ran the Millstone.
The year I refer to would be 1954/8 (I believe)

greig bremner
May 26, 2010 @ 12:08 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

hi jimmy and elma bremner along with their kids morag and greig had the scotgate inn from aug67 till march 70 when the cellar bar was the place to be
Kate:  Thanks for posting Greig - glad you found us.

John Tyers
June 14, 2010 @ 4:30 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

In my last term at Stamford School I think those holding the power at the time had given up on us as I enjoyed a free period last thing on a Friday morning and the landlord of the O'Brien's Arms (next door) used to have the pints lined up for us!  A serious crime today.  It was an open secret and we were all underage.  If we were'nt in there we were down Burtons Snooker Hall.  I wish now I had been more interested in the academics and less on the social side!  But... we had a good time!

Richard Campbell
June 14, 2010 @ 8:10 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Does anyone remember the cellar bar in the Greyhound on Tinwell Rd. Don't think it lasted long...it was targeted at us Teenies at the time.

Richard
Hi Richard.  Can't think of the Greyhound?  Anyone remember this one.Kate

phil
June 14, 2010 @ 10:41 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes I remember the cellar bar well.We would access it through the back in Austin street.but I don't think the residents appreciated the noise.It was a busy bar I  think I frequented it with Ozzie Cope and Dick Cove most nights of the week. thanks for that memory !!!In the front it was opposite the Drill Hall I think.    

philsn
June 15, 2010 @ 8:12 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Just remembered the cellar bar was called "The Grotto". The last time I was in the pub maybe in the 80s there was still a function room down there.

John Tyers
June 15, 2010 @ 11:55 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Surely the "Greyhound" was opposite the Drill Hall in St.Peter's Street. We lived a couple of doors down and in the early forties the licensee was I believe Mr Fritz Knapp.  During air raid warnings my mother and I went there, if I recall rightly, to the pub's deep cellar which was a designated shelter entered from Austin Street at the rear of the pub.
Regarding the "Balloon" I enjoyed a round in there with the suspect company I tended to frequent in those days and the landlady omitted to take our money.  We guiltily stole out after drinking up and only next day, I think it was Alf Freer who enlightened us that no-one was paying and everything was "on the house"; the pub was closing for the last time!
Kate:  What a great airraid shelter! People must have been longing to hear  the siren go!

syd
June 15, 2010 @ 12:28 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The Greyhound was opposite the old Drill Hall, we used to have some good old Saturday dance nights there, got a bit thirsty, so popped over the road for a quick half and then back again. Happy days indeed.
The Greyhound reopened as The Vence wine bar.

John Tyers
June 16, 2010 @ 9:36 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The Saturday night Drill Hall Dances were staged by a Peterborough promoter named Arthur Howes but for Territorial Army functions a bar was licensed by the Magistrates and run on the premises by TA "Saturday night soldiers" including myself.  The bar books to balance the sales of drinks against the takings were audited by a local bookkeeper of the old school who would account for every penny and I recall him scratching his head and muttering "Can't understand it; the quantity of beer sold vastly exceeds the amount of cash taken in!" 
Kate: Early run of  buy one, get one free?

Patrick
June 17, 2010 @ 8:12 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Oh Dear, John Tyers. Surely all this daytime drinking wasn`t under the regime of the Blessed Canon J D Day?  In my last year at Stamford School in 1943, a 17 year old was expelled for being found in the Snooker Hall; and I was given two hours` detention on Saturday afternoon for being seen in High Street with my cap on the back of my head. And we were all beaten regularly for the good of our souls. When I left to join the Royal Navy I found the discipline comparatively lenient!

John Tyers
June 17, 2010 @ 11:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

No Patrick, almost a decade later, 1951 to be precise when Mr Deed had succeeded Canon Day (The better the day the better the deed!).
The highlight of that summer was the school visit by special train to the South Bank exhibition of the Festival of Britain.  Mr Deed had the whole school in the Hall, the day prior to this and specifically warned the gathering about the profusion of bars on the site which we were naturally forbidden to enter.  A dear old mate of mine now long deceased was even then older than his 16 years, within minutes of arriving at the venue he had just ordered his first pint of mixed of the day when the Headmaster caught him redhanded and forced him to stay close by his side for the remainder of the day!

Terry Maltman
August 5, 2010 @ 1:08 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I would be interested to learn more of the Carpenter's Arms on St Leonard's Street. My GGGG-grandparents William and Elizabeth Maltman ran it in the late 1830s. So far as I can tell it was on the corner of St Leonards St and St George St but I can't be sure which side. It also seems to have had some connection with the Stamford Bull Running.

Terry
Kate:  Hi Terry. Welcome to the Forum.  Hope someone will know something. I will see if I can unearth anything.

Patrick
August 23, 2010 @ 8:37 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Ken Ford again!

Carpenters`Arms -54 St.Leonard`s Street.
This Inn was established in the early 1700s. In 1800 the landlord was Thomas Fuller.William Lowson took over in the 1820s. Other landlords were William Sykes (the famous Bill Sykes?) in 1850 thenWilliam Waterfield in 1875, 1900 John Martin and in the 1920s Ernest Albert West. It then became a private house.
I was told once that the reason Stamford had so many pubs was that, in the days of the Poor Law, widows were given a licence by the Corporation allowing them to brew beer in their house to avoid them becoming a charge on the parish.  Does anyone know if this is true?
Kate: Hi Patrick.  Handy to have you there with that book!  The last point sounds logical. wonder if anyone knows if its a fact?

Terry Maltman
August 24, 2010 @ 8:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thanks for the information Patrick! It wasn't where I expected. I was looking at the corner of St Leonards and St Georges Streets. I found two trade directories which refer to it on both of those streets so I concluded it must be on the corner. I guess the directory wasn't reliable unless maybe it was just quoting the district rather than the street name. I'll have to go back and look again.

Thanks again.
Terry

Patrick
August 25, 2010 @ 7:54 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Terry - pleased to be of help. Your ancestors fill in the space between William Lowson in the 1820s and Bill Sykes in 1850. It must have been a good pub as each landlord seems to have stayed there for around twenty years.
If my ageing memory is correct the pub in St.Leonard`s Street at the corner of St. George`s Street was The Olive Branch.

June Rollings
August 25, 2010 @ 8:51 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My husbands Grandfather, Alfred Rollings, was the Licensee of the Sun and Railway Inn, in Church Street, in the 1920s not sure of exact dates, but he was definitely there in 1925.

Terry Maltman
August 26, 2010 @ 3:08 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I havent found out yet just how long they stayed at the Carpenters Arms. From 1815 to November 1830 William Maltman gives his occupation as Postboy then Ostler and finally Coachman which seems a logical career progression. Most of his children were baptised in Grantham but he died in September 1837 in St Leonards St, giving an occupation of Victualler. In 1841 his widow Elizabeth is the proprietress of the Carpenters Arms in the Pigots directory. By 1842 she is a shopkeeper. Given the time lag in producing directories she probably gave up the inn about 1840. The earliest they could have taken over is late 1830 so we have a maximum of 10 years and a minimum of 3.

My interpretation (or assumption) is that as a coachman William would have had an intimate connection with the inn trade and probably aspired to running one when he gave up the road (havent we all heard that one at one time). His cause of death was an enlarged liver at the age of 47 so it looks like he got into his work literally.

Thanks for the input. I feel like I am finally putting some flesh on the bones!
Terry

Patrick
August 27, 2010 @ 7:58 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

(Ken Ford - `Who Traded Where`.
"Sun and Railway Inn
11 Church Street
At the end of the Street on the right hand corner stood another inn. It was established in the 1820s as `The Sun Inn`. As the position was close to the Midland Railway Station it became `The Sun and Railway` in the 1850s. With ample stabling in the yard at the rear it was another useful stopping place for the traveller in coaching days and later for rail travellers with business in the town. We have been told that you went up three steps to enter the bar.  Ann Read was the landlady in 1825. Richard Prout was there in 1850 and Robert Barnes in 1875. In 1900, Susannah Skellett, my wife`s (Ken Ford`s wife) great-grandmother was in charge. !n 1925  Albert Rollings was the landlord.  It then became Proctor Brothers` Corn Merchants, garage etc.

Patrick
August 28, 2010 @ 2:45 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Carpenters Arms
Hello Terry

I see in Ken Ford`s Book,published in 2003 that he writes "The Stamford Museum are compiling an index of people mentioned in The Stamford Mercury between 1800 and 1840". May be a lead.

Christine Scott
September 24, 2010 @ 8:11 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Clem, I've only just seen your question on 'Cis' (Was this Alf's Mother?) No, Alf & Cis (Cecil) were my Dad's (Ernest) brother's, my Gran's name was Susan. Gran, Alf & Cis all lived in the premises on St Leonard's Street. Alf was the barber, can't remember what Cis did, I'll ask their 98 year old sister Midge when I see her next week. There were 4 other brothers, most of the Freear boys enjoyed their ale.

Pete Leatherbarrow
November 23, 2010 @ 9:34 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Sorry, Cis's real name was Cecil, Alf's brother. Cis used to work for the NAFFI.

Janice
September 2, 2013 @ 11:07 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

just enquiring about landlords of the vaults pub?
Kate:  Anyone help Janice on this one? Have a trawl through this posting Janice, there may be some info on it already?

Clem Walden
September 2, 2013 @ 5:37 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Janice, Just seen your posting re-Landlords of the "Vaults" what year are you refering to? As the "Vaults" in St Mary's street has been a public house since 1818 according to F.H.Chandler. So must have had many different landlords.

Denzil Hollis
January 22, 2014 @ 5:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I too was at Stamford School during the 'war' years and the 'O.B' was a favorite watering hole
... Very risky under the Iron Rule of Headmaster Canon Day .... Now it belongs to the school !

jim Hussey
February 3, 2014 @ 8:14 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Two others were Ray and Jack. They both worked at Kings Mill Dairy in the 1970s. Jack lived on New Cross Road, and Ray lived at his shop on St. Pauls St. Both now saddly deceased.

Emma Aque
March 2, 2014 @ 7:50 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I am looking for any photos/pictures of The Olive Branch Inn on St Leonards street as my husband is looking to take over the lease on the shop and would love to put a picture of the pub up in the shop.
Kate:  Any photos/pictures for Emma?  Not sure of the whereabouts of this shop?

Keith Hansell
May 12, 2014 @ 4:06 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

A picture of the Olive Branch appears on page 48 of Martin Smith's book Stamford Pubs and Breweries. If you go to the history hub of the library they should be able to help.

When my grandmother left school, pre WW1, she worked at the Olive Branch. She  mentioned the Blackstone's workers from Easton walking to work and in the cold winter months calling into the pub for a hot toddy. I'm sure she said that was around six in the morning.
Very welcome I should think. K

Dan
May 28, 2014 @ 11:48 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Only one  I remember was Derek.  He ran the place In the very early 80s, so probably in the '70s too.  Moved up to Blackburn in 1981/82 ish.

Was in there today as it happens.  I live miles away in the North East and also in Scotland and have not visited for 5 years or more.  A pint of OBB as the wife was driving.   In Stamford for just over an hour.

Sad to hear at the bar that a local I used to vaguely know passed away in recent days.

Derek
September 15, 2015 @ 10:36 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

One here for the (L P D) the lost pub detectives. Does anyone know the exact location of the Dun Cow public house which was somewhere in the Sheep Market ?.  The landlord in 1868 was a Walter Henry Boor who died in Stamford in 1896.

Betty Haddon
May 13, 2016 @ 7:45 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The Sun and Ràilway, Church Street. Jack and Doris Rollinson ran this pub during the war and after, I was born there in 1944, we lived opposite in Whincup's Yard  and Doris was my Godmother. Doris kept chickens in the backyard and I recall being taken to see the new chicks. I think Jack died during this period, Doris later married George Sargent moving sometime in the fifties to Kesteven Road, perhaps when The Sun and Railway closed.I believe it was quite a busy pub during the war, being near the Town Station like The Telegraph. Busy when they had beer that is.

Derek
August 10, 2016 @ 2:01 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Remembering former publicans in the town, brings to mind a lovely couple named Tom and Doris Spencer, who during the early 1960s ran the Hurdler pub on New Cross Road.
In 1966-67 they moved to take over as landlord and landlady of the Crown and Woolpack in Scotgate. Doris died in Stamford in 1971, and Tom tragically lost his life in a road traffic accident just a few years later.

John Tyers
August 12, 2016 @ 11:55 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Commenting on Betty Haddon's post about "The Sun and Railway."  I was playing in the bar with Viv Rollinson one evening in 1944 when no customers were in and while swinging between the ends of two adjacent counters fell and split open my chin. Mrs Doris took me down to Stamford Hospital where a nurse stitched up the wound and I still have the scar today!

Betty Haddon
August 19, 2016 @ 7:06 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Re Sun + Railway -  Thanks John Tyers lovely to hear memories of 'Aunt Doris' and Viv. My brothers,John and Geoff used to be secreted under the wooden bar,no doubt with a lemonade, while Mum (Jessie) helped behind the bar. This would have been during the war, I believe Jack Rollinson  was a friend of Dad (Norman) and they were known to dress up in drag to work behind the bar,fishnet stockings et al,  Dad went into the Army in 41 so it must have been lively before then too. I still can't picture my Dad in drag!!! Doris had a daughter too,Audrey, I remember her well.

Peter Leatherbarrow
August 30, 2016 @ 8:39 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

No one has mentioned the Danish Invader on the old Jelson's estate in Emoingham Road / Lonsdale Road.  

Re The General Gordon, in the 1970's and early 80's it was owned and run by Alan and Betty Jakes who had two lovely daughters who both attended Stamford High School, Julia and Davina. Julia married a teacher named Andy Bullimore and they both still live in Ketton.

I recall on several occasions still drinking and chatting in that pub when the Riverside Club down the bottom of Wharf Road was closing and chucking out (02.00 hrs)! No one ever got fighting drunk or ever caused any unpleasantness.

Peter Leatherbarrow
August 30, 2016 @ 8:43 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

@ Clem, Cis (Cecil) was Alf Frear's brother and had been a Quartermaster in the RAF.

Joe Wilcox
August 5, 2017 @ 9:20 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The landlord of the Vaults in and about 1958 was (ex)Squadron Leader Cole. His son Bob was a school contemporary of mine who became an RAF pilot; I understand he flew one of the Spitfires used in making the film "Battle of Britain".

John Tyers
August 8, 2017 @ 12:17 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Prior to the Coles at the Vaults, the licensee was for many years, the genial Mr Carter.  His son was at Stamford School and then became a newspaper reporter and later a journalist I believe.

John Tyers
August 8, 2017 @ 12:17 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Prior to the Coles at the Vaults, the licensee was for many years, the genial Mr Carter.  His son was at Stamford School and then became a newspaper reporter and later a journalist I believe.

Mike Laughton
August 9, 2017 @ 7:05 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I believe the landlord and landlady of the Greyhound pub during the wartime years were Mr and Mrs Duff.
Apparently there was a large air raid shelter in the garden and the Duffs used to let Austin Street residents use it.
Was it the old Air raid shelter that became the cellar bar in later years?
I am told that my family were among those who used the air raid shelter and they always took their small pet dog with them.
But one night a jobsworth ARP warden came along and said: "No dogs allowed in air raid shelters!" So after that they stopped using it.

John Tyers
August 15, 2017 @ 8:15 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

At the commencement of WW2, the "Greyhound" landlord was Fritz Knapp.  We lived a couple of doors down in St Peter's street at the top of Dixon's Court facing the Drill Hall.  My dad and his nephew were both serving in France with the BEF in 1940 and Mr Knapp used to enquire of my mother if she had heard from my dad and would say if they had or had not heard from their nephew Peter Russell.  Mail being infrequent due to operations.  My dad was fortunate enough to be evacuated subsequently from Dunkirk as I believe was P.Russell.

Betty Haddon
December 16, 2017 @ 11:56 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Browsing this topic I recall 'mine hosts' at The O'Brien Arms were the Hibbins in the 50's, it was my Dad's local,he played darts,cribbage etc. there. Their daughter was a school friend of mine,their son opened a shop in St.Paul's St.selling army surplus stock providing a good source of workwear.

John Tyers
December 18, 2017 @ 8:31 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

In our latter months at SS before the great day of relief when we left, it became our habit to buck the last period of a mornings' lessons and adjourn to the OBs for a well needed pint despite being under age.  In retrospect, any master would soon have discovered where his missing pupils were, had he ventured thereto.  However we were never missed, in fact our absence was never mentioned so perhaps the authorities were trusting that soon they would be well rid of us!

Roger Partridge
January 6, 2018 @ 7:52 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

John, ironic that the building which was OB is now part of SS

John Tyers
January 25, 2018 @ 1:09 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Your are right Roger.  I recall one lunchtime in 1951, mine host was in a bit of a panic as he had all the ales lined up in the glasses and we were all a bit late.  He thought we had deserted him and he would be out of pocket!  Another "refuge" from school in my latter days, was the Billiards Hall over Burton's in the High Street.  In retrospect, we thought we were being smart getting away with it but in reality we were misguided nitwits!

Roger Partridge
February 15, 2018 @ 9:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

John, the billiard hall was still being used by VI formers up to at least 1968. it was nicknamed "The Poke" and run by (I think) Reg Cusworth. I remember Bill Packer saying one day that it was not the sort of place boys should be visiting, but I don't think that deterred anyone.

Peter Leatherbarrow
February 25, 2018 @ 8:13 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

To Andy Matthews, many years too late I know but at the General Gordon, the guy with his guitar was Don Bentley, who lived with his Mum in Wharf Road, up the hill towards where ECP used to be (Triumph and Rover Dealers).