Stamford Union Workhouse records

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Stamford Union Workhouse records
Topic Originator: Anne Cole, Lincolnshire FHS Poor Law Series Editor
Post Date July 18, 2005 @ 6:24 AM
 Stamford Union Workhouse records
 RE: Stamford Workhouse records
 RE: Stamford Workhouse records
 RE: Stamford Union Workhouse records
 RE: Stamford Union Workhouse records

Anne Cole, Lincolnshire FHS Poor Law Series Editor
July 18, 2005 @ 6:24 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Details of records of Stamford Union Workhouse can be found at

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LIN/Stamford/stamford_union_list.txt

Anne Cole
June 27, 2006 @ 11:52 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Since the end of 2004 I have been transcribing all the entries from the Stamford Union Workhouse Minutes that mention paupers by name. The Stamford Union minutes are unusually informative compared with the minutes of other Lincolnshire Poor Law Unions. Abstracts from the minutes were posted to the LincsGen mailing list and are available on the Lincolnshire Genuki pages (URL given on the main page). All the extracts from the minutes will be published by the Lincolnshire Family History Society, but in the meantime I am willing to give further information on any entry not included in the published minutes. Please note, however, that the extracts were placed on the Lincolnshire Genuki site before being second party checked and may contain errors and omissions.

Volume 1 of the Stamford minutes, covering the first two Minute Books, 1835 -1841, will be published in August 2006 and will be available from the Lincolnshire FHS.

Anne Cole
Lincolnshire FHS Poor Law Series Editor

Kate:  Thanks very much for that Anne.  There have already been nearly a hundred hits for this topic.  Fascinating reading and always the chance of finding details of ancestors or a name which is familiar.  My own great grandmother, Margaret Swan(n) nee Gallerfing was an inmate at Stamford Union Workhouse.  Do you know where the deceased inmates were  usually buried?

Paul Reedman
June 28, 2006 @ 5:20 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Do you have any records on the Reedman family as I'm sure there was one member of my family George Reedman who was in a workhouse.
In answering your question Kate. I too have looked into where they were buried and have found out that some are buried in Stamford cemetery but as they were poor do not have headstones. The office there should be able to tell you if any member of your family are buried there headstone or no headstone as long as you provide an approximate date of death. Hope this helps.
Kate:  Thanks for that Paul.  I will have a look at Stamford Cemetery.  I found a great uncle and aunt who I did not realise were buried there.
(name BURTON) Hope you manage to locate George REEDMAN.

John Fricker
January 17, 2007 @ 9:55 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Kate, as part of your response to Anne's post you said "My own great grandmother, Margaret Swan(n) nee Gallerfing was an inmate at Stamford Union Workhouse."

That is the first time I've come across the name Gallerfing outside of Essex, Kent or Middlesex.  I thought that it was an Essex name, possibly a corruption of Gallifant.  Is there any way you can get some more details to me?
Kate: Hello John.  I am emailing you off list with details about Margaret Gallerfing.

Anne Cole
June 7, 2008 @ 6:06 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I was looking for details of the book "Stamford in 1900" and when I googled I found this message board, which I had quite forgotten about. If you want to know if one of your names is included in the Stamford Workhouse books, go to www.lincolnshirefhs.org.uk then click on publications, then on the list of surnames in our publications.

The second book of extracts from the Stamford Union Workhouse minutes was published some time ago covering the years 1841-1844. These minutes are so good that one of our publications will cover only one minute book. The next volume is due out soon, covering the years 1844 to 1847.

Anne Cole

Kate: Thanks for that up-date Anne.  You have received lots of hits on your topic.  People are very interested in the Workhouse records.