St Augustine's Year of c 1957

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: St Augustine's Year of c 1957
Topic Originator: Ruth Wright
Post Date October 23, 2013 @ 11:16 AM
 RE: St Augustine's
 RE: St Augustine's Year of c 1957
 RE: St Augustine's Year of c 1957

Ruth Wright
October 23, 2013 @ 11:16 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

St Augustine's RC School around 1957?  Outside the new school building in Kesteven Road. Miss Cant in the middle - great teacher.  Does anyone recognise themselves?

St Augustine's class of 1957_
By kind permission of Ruth Wright
Kate:  Don't forget you can enlarge the photos by clicking on them and then clicking again on the second icon on the right beneath the photo.(Then click again on the photo)   Makes it easy to recognise those faces.  (Sometimes!)

Ron Jones
October 25, 2013 @ 1:46 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember starting at St Augustines School, in Broad Street, in 1940.
I was there until I left to go to Stamford School in 1947. At that time Miss Bool was Headmistress and Miss Walker was in Charge of the 5 to 7 year olds.
The only other teachers I remember was a Miss Scully and a Mrs Walker who taught the 8 to 11 year olds. It was a wonderful school, and although I was not a Roman Catholic I enjoyed my stay immensely.

Roger Partridge
October 25, 2013 @ 6:21 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I'm not certain, but the girl next to the girl in the light dress next to Miss Cant may be Yvonne Swift

Phil
October 25, 2013 @ 9:35 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The tall girl on the left is Eileen Fitzpatrick/and two in from her is Doris Sheeehan and the girl in the White Dress is I believe Ruth Douglas

betty
October 26, 2013 @ 8:18 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Looking at this photograph am I right in thinking that Miss Cant is the same person who used to teach Scripture at the Stamford High School in the early 1950's??

Syd
October 28, 2013 @ 8:29 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I had one term at Kesteven Road after many happy years down at Broad Street, I recognise most but their names escape me.
But on the front row first right is Peter Price.
The second row the little girl in white is Ruth Douglas now Wright and Valery Vines on the far right.
Third row are Eileen Fitzpatrick, Christina Dowman and Doris Sheehan, one two and three from the left.
And third from the right at the back is Peter Seamer.
My gosh, so many years ago.

Ruth Wright
November 1, 2013 @ 10:39 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes ... names and faces are coming together - agree, it is a very long time ago!  Yes, its me in the pale dress and I think it may be Yvonne Swift next to me? Steven McWeeney third from left front row,  Paul de Camp second from right front row?? and is that Edward Jones top left back row??  Possibly Alison Acum on left sitting and Gillian Acum standing between the staff members??  Hilary Cliff must be in there somewhere ...

I think this teacher was Miss Cant but yes was another Miss Cant at the High School.  I too was taught by Miss Walker in the infants - seems impossible in this day of touch-pads but we had individual green painted 'slates' (boards) and chalk to learn to write, do sums etc.  It worked though!  Miss Walker and Miss Boole (the Head) were brilliant teachers.  I also remember learning to knit (dishcloths!), weave, sew -  and we made leather purses - I think the boys did the same? Was certainly a very creative education.
Kate: Yes Ruth,  this is Miss Cant who was at the High School - unless there were twin spinster sisters?  both teaching RE?  They say life is stranger than fiction - anyone know for certain?

Syd
November 2, 2013 @ 8:09 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Was Hilary Cliff the younger sister of Anne and Sheila, if so, she is far right on the second from back row I am sure, as she is the image of Sheila.

betty
November 3, 2013 @ 11:40 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

No Anne was an only child and Sheila was her cousin.

Kate I agree Miss Cant is definitely the teacher who taught us at the High School
Kate:  Thanks Betty I thought you would know. Thanks again for your input.

Kevin
November 3, 2013 @ 10:15 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I was at St A from 51 -57 and am now back there as a foundation governor.
I think I must have been away the day this was taken. I left in July 57 to go Stamford School and there are others on the photo who also passed the 11+ and so I guess it was May/June?
Some other names:- next to Peter Seamer on the back row is Tim Stokes & Leon Lawanicack.
Next to Doris Sheehan is Rosemary Connell, Gillian Acum, Maureen Hinch & Hilary Cliff.
On the row with the teachers Ailson Acum, can't remember, Yvonne Swift, Ruth, Miss Cant, My Roy Cooper,Diane MacCarthy, Maureen McCartney,Valerie Vines.
Bottom row:- David Cooper, can't remember,Stephen McWeeney, Greg Foster,Brian O'Connor,can't remember, Paul de Camp, Peter Price.
Mr Cooper's widow celebrated her 100th birthday earlier this year.

Ruth
November 9, 2013 @ 9:33 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thanks all.  Kevin, yes, I thought that more than one year group in the picture but wondered where you were!   I think that is nearly everyone identified now -  sort of like this:
BACK:     Edward Jones     ?     ?     ?     ?     Peter Seamer     Tim Stokes     Leon Lawanicack
2ND: Eileen Fitzpatrick     Christina Dowman     Doris Sheehan     Rosemary Connell     Gillian Acum     Maureen Hinch     Hilary Cliff
3RD: Alison Acum     ?     Yvonne Swift     Ruth Douglas     Miss Cant     Mr Cooper     Diane McCartney     Maureen McCartney     Valerie Vines
FRONT: David Cooper       ?     Stephen McWeeney     Greg Foster     Brian OConnor     ?     Paul de Camp     Peter Price

Just the faces with names make me smile - really nice people - despite times  being quite tough, we must have been quite a happy lot on the whole!
Kate:  Thanks for making that name chart Ruth - helps me a lot.

Ruth
November 9, 2013 @ 6:13 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Further info!  Frances Carter (as was) wasn't there that day either but has a copy with names written on at the time.  So, it looks like
Edward Jones; Edmund Hawes; Martin Smith; John Bardwell; Russell Doyle;Peter Seamer; Tim Stokes; Leon Lawanicack

Eileen Fitzpatrick;Christina Dowman; Doris Sheehan; Rosemary Connell; Gillian Acum; Maureen Hinch; Hilary Cliff

Alison Acum; Margaret McCartney; Yvonne Swift; Ruth Douglas; Miss Cant; Mr Cooper; Teresa Sismore; Maureen McCartney; Gillian Vines

David Cooper; Patrick Fitzpatrick;Stephen McWeeney; Harry Foster; Brian OConnor; Paul Kiotkovski; Paul de Camp; Peter Price

Frances also says 'Miss Cant definitely ex Stamford High School. When she converted to RC she had to stop teaching Scripture, or was it History? I think it might have been the latter' (which of course would have been the situation at that time - it was why my father ended up teaching Art instead of History).

Dave Leishman
November 10, 2013 @ 9:09 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello,
Very good photo and scan! I knew nothing of St Augustines at the time depicted, but looking at the photo I realise that I was aquainted with at least 4 of the people a few years later in the early sixties.
Peter Seamer came to work along side of me at JW Hillyer TV/Radio shop on St Georges St. Pete introduced me to the 'dark art' of riding on the rear of a tandem bicycle. I remember zooming down the A1 to Wansford and back at breakneck speed, I can honestly say that I have never gone that fast on a push bike since. When I quit Stamford Pete became the recipient of my cherished electric guitar and a WW2 military radio.
  Doris Sheehan of Ryhall. The late sister of a good friend, who incidentally I just spoke to a few weeks ago after a 30 year gap. Quite a coincidence that I should see a picture of Doris.
  Gillian and Allison Acum. I think Gillian was 'Head Girl' at Stamford School at the time that I met her. She actually taught me how to dance. Their dad was a director at Twilleys. They lived in this lovely old house at Tickencote. I think it was the 'Old Rectory.
Thanks for the memories.
David.

betty
November 11, 2013 @ 7:07 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Miss Cant definitely taught me scripture not History at the High School

Yvonne Blessett (was Swift)
December 7, 2013 @ 5:52 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Had no idea this photograph was on Stamford memories. Very interesting to see all those faces from years ago. Also sad that several people are no longer with us - I kept in touch with Hilary Cliff (married name Clark) until she died - so sad. Margaret McCartney now lives in Australia and Maureen McCarthy did live in Market Deeping. Paul Kiatkowski lives in Spalding I believe. Perhaps we should do a reunion when we are 70!!! incidentally I live near Bourne. Wonder what happened to make me pull such a face at the time of the photo!!!
Kate: Hi Yvonne - now I am wondering which one is you! as there are several faces being pulled on there.

Ruth
January 1, 2014 @ 6:08 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Yvonne - how amazing to hear from you!  Thanks for the update too - indeed, very sad.  There was talk of a reunion, how wizard that could be - Kevin (Vinter) is considering something??   Though I may have imagined!