Memories from the 60's

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Memories from the 60's
Topic Originator: Nigelross
Post Date January 19, 2014 @ 6:11 PM
 Memories from the 60's
  Memories from the 60's
 : Memories from the 60's
 RE: Memories from the 60's

Nigelross
January 19, 2014 @ 6:11 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Just a list of ad hoc memories from the  60's, that we (me) used  to get up to.

No1. Standing in Red Lion Square with our scooters, watching the world go by. (i.e.Girls.)

No2. Buying flares and tank tops etc. from the shop in St. Mary's Street, the name of the shop escapes me.

No.3 Buying the Pink'un from the bloke next to All Saints church after watching the Daniels up Wothorpe Road.

No3. Buying Fishing "Stuff" from Godslands in St. Mary's Street.

No4. Going fishing down Gypsy meadows and under the willow tree( Nr Town Bridge) on the Welland

No.5 Going pipe hunting, when the Welland was low, near the town bridge and finding old clay pipes.

No6. -My Dad taking me to get my hair cut at Mr Bells on East Street (before the late sixties). Didn't cut it between 1967 and 1970. No one did.

no7. Frequenting every pub in Stamford, especially "Millstone, Scotgate (with the cellar bar) White Swan, Drum and  Monkey, Hurdler, Crown Hotel, (to watch Match of the Day) Albion Tavern, and all the rest really.

No 8. On Sundays  at 10.30 flying up to the Tinwell Pubs to get an extra half an hour drinking at the Rutland pubs. (Why).

No.9 Catching Newts from the pond near Williamson Clift brickworks and keeping them the enamel sink in our back garden.

No. 10 Biking to Tallington, Helpston, Essendine, Casewick bridge, to collect Engine numbers.

Any of these ring a bell.

Ruth
January 26, 2014 @ 2:05 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes, I remember the Stamford Mods - wonderful coloured leather coats as well.  And 'Nimrod's' Karmann Ghia.  

And the coffee shop  with a big picture window above a shop on the south side opposite the London Inn. (Though I guess we mostly drank tea? - 'instant' coffee - or any coffee other than Camp, wasn't so readily available then ... or maybe the fine powder stuff was??)).

Angela
January 26, 2014 @ 7:52 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Nigel - the shop - Will Darnes (Suitall)?
When I moved to Stamford in 66 I thought Stamford Mods were soooo cool. Probably because I hadn't been to school with them!  I was quite lonely at first, I didn't know anyone and daren't go to the 'in' places by myself.  Except once, when I plucked up courage to go to the Scotgate cellar, and felt so self-conscious I went home after 10 minutes.
I remember the coffe shop opposite the London Inn, was it called Barton's?  That was for Saturdays, Sundays was the Willows, above a clothing shop, with views over the meadows.

BC
January 26, 2014 @ 8:57 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

REMEMBER DOING ALL THESE THINGS ALSO COLLECTING OLD PRAMS FROM WELLINGTON LANE TO DO SUNDAY PAPER ROUNDS WITH.THE CAFE WAS THE WILLOW CAFE.WAS THE CLOTHES SHOP SUITALLS.