Sick and Dividing Clubs

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Sick and Dividing Clubs
Topic Originator: Mike Laughton
Post Date March 2, 2014 @ 10:37 AM
 Sick and Dividing Clubs
  Sick and Dividing Clubs
 Sick and Dividing Clubs
 Sick and Dividing Clubs
  Sick and Dividing Clubs
  Sick and Dividing Clubs

Mike Laughton
March 2, 2014 @ 10:37 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I wonder if anyone else remembers the "Sick and Dividing Clubs" that existed during the early and mid 20th Century.
Most factories and several pubs and Social clubs had sick and dividing clubs which were a safety net for the working man before the welfare state took off.
The worker would pay a small amount from his wages into the club each week. Then, if he was ill and unable to work, he would be able to make a claim on the club funds for financial assistance.
The clubs were a godsend to people who fell ill or had accidents or surgical operations and were unable to work. (Nobody got sick pay in those days).
At the end of the year, usually around Christmastime, all the money that was left in the kitty would be divided up between the members (Hence the "Dividing" part of the club).
During the mid-20th century Several factories in the area employed hundreds of people. These included Blackstones, Martins, Ketton Cement, Arthur Lyons (which became Newage), Williamson and Cliffs brickyard , Allis Chalmers in Essendine and Dowmac at Tallington

Clem Walden
March 14, 2014 @ 6:01 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Mike, That brings back memories. I believe the old Sick and Dividing Clubs were used for many things. Even Holidays for ones children. I remember as a child when my Dad worked at  Blackstones and then Martins my Mother taking us children on Holiday with Dads S.D.Club monies. He of course never came he had to stay and work so he could make sure the bills and rent got paid. That was the same for many fathers in those days. We would go by train from the old North Station and as we passed the rear of Blackstones or Martins our Dad along with other fathers would wave to their respective children and  wives. The monies all these workers paid into the S.D.Club
was used for all sorts of things In those days. Things did better in the late 40s and Dad would join us for a family holiday. But as you have stated there was little help other than make sure you provided for your families health and welfare then. In todays World it is a little different although sadly there are those even in Stamford who can't afford Holidays. And many families are unable to even feed themselves. Thankfully Stamford has local foodbanks who do a fantastic job and are of great help to many.  Without these local food banks and those individuals who voluntarily provide the free food one wonders what would happen.

John Tyers
March 16, 2014 @ 11:53 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

At Allis-Chalmers works, the Social Club ran a savings scheme whereby you paid in whatever sum you liked out of your weekly pay and drew it out as a lump sum just before Christmas or the annual works holiday shut-down.  The money was collected after the staff were paid every Friday, by Miss B.Dearmer of Ryhall who signed off your contribution on a card.

Clem Walden
March 20, 2014 @ 4:33 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi John, I was a member of the Allis-Chalmers Social Club when I worked there 1954 just after leaving school. My Dad got me the job but I changed directions later and became an apprentice electrician.
Prior to leaving school I always looked forward to Allis-Chalmers xmas parties. they were great and the company also looked after its workers by providing them with Christmas hampers each year. So many Stamford people worked there and free bus transport from the Town was provided.
Allis-Chalmers were a good employer and it was rather sad when they closed.

John Tyers
March 30, 2014 @ 1:34 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Clem!  More than rather sad when Fiat Allis/Allis-Chalmers closed; it really hurt the long term employees as it ruined the prospects of the company pension scheme!  Fiat stabbed us all in the back.  Only a year before final closure, they told us their intention was to make Essendine the centre of Fiat Construction Machinery development and our future was assured!  Was it Shakespeare who said "Put not your trust in Princes?"

June Burgess
May 9, 2015 @ 6:59 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember my grandad running The Dragon sick & Dividing club in the 1950's. I used to go with him round to people's houses collecting money & loved it when we went to take the enevelopes with their share out at the end of the year. It was all carried out very correctly with an auditor coming round to check the books. This club was in Lincoln.