Bike riding cowboy!

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Bike riding cowboy!
Topic Originator: Mike Laughton
Post Date December 7, 2014 @ 3:35 PM
 Bike riding cowboy!
 : Bike riding cowboy!
 Bike riding cowboy!

Mike Laughton
December 7, 2014 @ 3:35 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I wonder if anyone else remembers an eccentric teenager from the late 1950s and early 1960s who used to ride around the town on his bike dressed as a cowboy. We used to call him the Lone Ranger but I think his surname was Naylor and I believe he lived in Austin Street with two elderly female relatives. He always dressed completely in black from head to toe and his garb was always topped off with the black cowboy hat.
I don't believe he ever did any work after leaving school.
Whenever he was sent for a job interview he always turned up on his bike wearing his cowboy outfit but nobody in Stamford had a vacancy for a sheriff or US Marshall in the 1950s.
I can't imagine what would have happened to him had National Service still been going but I think he will have missed it by a couple of years.   I think he would have been about the same age as Clem.

syd
December 9, 2014 @ 6:42 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Ted Naylor is your man,contrary to what is said, he did work,  he worked mainly as a lorry driver, I last saw him about 18 months ago, he told me he had cancer and unfortunatly he has since died.
But like you say he was a bit of a legend in his own life time!

Clem Walden
January 6, 2015 @ 3:24 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Mike, I have only just seen your posting about the eccentric cowboy teenager? As Syd has stated his name was Ted Naylor.  He was always known at school as "Noggy Naylor" as Syd and other locals may recall. He was a little younger than I. Syd is correct he certainly worked for his living he also got married his wife and children still live in the Town "Noggy Naylor" was a nice lad a little eccentric maybe? But perhaps he dressed as a cowboy so you and all others would remember him?