fair comes to town(Fendicks)

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: fair comes to town(Fendicks)
Topic Originator: tom mytton
Post Date January 11, 2015 @ 4:31 PM
 RE: fair comes to town(Fendicks)
 : fair comes to town(Fendicks)

tom mytton
January 11, 2015 @ 4:31 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

in the seventies when growing up i remember when fendicks fair used to come to Stamford and use the the field ( now houses)  opposite the Stamford free church  we used to have great fun oh happy days anyone else remember the small fair?????
Not sure I remember this one Tom.  Anyone else go for a ride on this one or remember the layout?
K

clem Walden
January 13, 2015 @ 1:55 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Tom I remember the Fendicks. John Fendick was a friend of mine I also use to take his sister Jean out when the fair visited the Town in 1950s. But I can't remember the fair you recall? You mention the field oposite the Free Church in the 70s? Where exactly do you mean? As I cant recall any open spaces in that area at that time? Help.

tom mytton
January 18, 2015 @ 4:44 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

hi Clem it was the field that was next to  Christchurch when it was on willoughby road   if you stood outside the post office on kesteven road it was smack bang opposite  was quite a big grassed area where we used to play i seem to recall

tom mytton
January 18, 2015 @ 4:49 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

i also remember that one of the fendicks lads was tragically killed when he got out of his lorry and another lorry hit him and took the door off his cab. the show families  really do have a hard job but they bring so much fun and joy to people of Stamford and other areas

Clive Hilliard
January 20, 2015 @ 11:07 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Tom The fair used to be in the field next to Fane school in the sixties, I used to live in Glen Crescent  until late sixties.

tom mytton
January 21, 2015 @ 5:47 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

hi Clive i don't remember that as we only moved to Stamford in the very late 60s i only remember it on the grassed area next to the old christchurch  when that was mainly  a wooden building.

Keith hansell
February 9, 2015 @ 9:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I can just remember the fair being next to the Fane school. The only ride I can remember being there was a grass cutter twist. During the Mid Lent Fair, Fendicks stood at the bottom of Castle Dyke with their shooter.

tom mytton
February 13, 2015 @ 7:12 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

hi great memories but before my time was it the steam roller field that the fair was on next to the old fane school per chance?

David Farman
December 13, 2015 @ 6:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Tom, are you talking about the fair that used to be in the field where Fane close is now because I can remember the fair being there.

tom mytton
December 30, 2015 @ 11:51 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

hi David no this fair used to be in the field where the old Christchurch used to be on willoughby road all houses now of course

joan staffordnee Baverstock
January 3, 2016 @ 12:51 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I have lived in Kesteven Road for 54 years and YES the fair did used to come on the field next to Christchurch, which in those days was a wooden church, now moved to Green lane.  Opposite the shops in Kesteven Road