lighthouse/turninglight

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: lighthouse/turninglight
Topic Originator: tom mytton
Post Date January 25, 2015 @ 4:13 PM
 lighthouse/turninglight
 lighthouse/turninglight
 lighthouse/turninglight
  lighthouse/turninglight
 lighthouse/turninglight
 RE: lighthouse/turninglight
 lighthouse/turninglight
  lighthouse/turninglight
  lighthouse/turninglight
  lighthouse/turninglight
  lighthouse/turninglight
  lighthouse/turninglight

tom mytton
January 25, 2015 @ 4:13 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

i have been told that on top of what is now central cafe that the white squared housing on top  of the building was either a turning light for the old Stamford canal or a light that used to warn of dangers within the canal or river can anyone shed any further light if you pardon the pun !!!!!

Mike Laughton
February 15, 2015 @ 8:26 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Most towns on the main coaching routes would have had lighthouses in Georgian days but these had nothing to do with canals. (As far as I know Stamford has never had a canal - just the River Welland and its Millstream)
The lighthouses were used to help guide the horse-drawn coaches to their destination.
Although the George hotel is the most famous of Stamford's coaching inns there were several more in the town centre. Indeed, there is still an inscription on the outside of the Millstone Inn referring to stabling and horse boxes.
The tavern in Red Lion Square was called the Salutation Inn. It later became a house of ill repute.
During the late 19th Century Stamford did not enjoy the "nice" image and reputation it has today. It was full of slums and had a reputation or being a "rough" town. Indeed, one of the main reasons the Stamford Racecourse closed down was because of rowdiness and drunken behaviour.
Mind you, some might say that with today's nightclubs and town centre pubs. not much had changed.

Mike Laughton
February 15, 2015 @ 1:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Just a point of clarification - there was a waterway called the Stamford Canal between Stamford and Market Deeping but this mainly followed the course of the River Welland and ended on the eastern side of the Town Bridge. No canal flowed through the town, only the river.
The so-called Stamford Canal was a very small shallow canal which flowed through Uffington Park and enabled barges to travel along the River Welland from Stamford to the Wash.  It was made redundant with the coming of the railway.

Kith Hansell
February 15, 2015 @ 4:55 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Considering that the Stamford Canal started at Hudds Mill, I think its safe to say no.

tom mytton
February 19, 2015 @ 6:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi all many thanks for the info. mike do you know where the salutation inn stood at all? was wondering which business stood there today ?indeed if any.

tom mytton
February 19, 2015 @ 6:18 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi all many thanks for the info. mike do you know where the salutation inn stood at all? was wondering which business stood there today ?indeed if any.

Patrick
February 19, 2015 @ 8:13 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The rooflight is over the top storey of John Dawson`s jewellery shop.  It is believed that, in the Middle Ages, this building together with the Central Cafe were one comprising the wool warehouse of the Browne family. It seems likely that the rooflight was put in then or later to enable people to work without candles.

syd
February 19, 2015 @ 11:15 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Isn't it a roof lantern, they let in light usually over stair wells etc, popular in victorian times for the wealthy.

Mike Laughton
February 23, 2015 @ 1:53 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I believe the main entrance to the Salutation Inn was where Dawsons the Jewellers is now. I can't be certain but I think the Salutation occupied the whole block including the central cafe site. There is a very good picture hanging in Morrisons Supermarket, which shows that side of Red Lion Square with the historic Buttermarket in the foreground.
I don't know what colour the light was that shone above the Salutation.
There are several references to the Salutation Inn in the archives of All Saints Church - births, weddings, funerals. Quite a few people described as "vagrant" died at the Salutation Inn so presumably in its letter years it became a doss house.

Keith Hansell
February 25, 2015 @ 1:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Tom. The Salutation Inn was in All Saints Street. at Number 17,on the right hand side going up. I believe it is now called Salutation House.

Patrick
February 25, 2015 @ 8:50 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

According to Ken Ford (Who traded where) the Salutation Inn was at the corner of Broad Street and Newgates and would be better known to most of us, I expect, as the Stag and Pheasant. The name was changed in 1875, perhaps to improve the inn's reputation.

Keith Hansell
March 1, 2015 @ 12:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The Old Salutation was in All Saints Street and the New Salutation was in Broad Street at number 14. The New Salutation was changed to the Stag and Pheasant on the closure of the Old Salutation in the late 1880's.

syd
March 1, 2015 @ 1:23 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Patrick, apparently the Stag and Pheasant was called The New Salutation Inn, so it could have been in both places at differing times

Patrick
March 1, 2015 @ 2:41 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I don't know how many Salutation inns there were but Keith Hansell is right with his one. Ken Ford confirms that it was the site of The Old Salutation Inn. The name had changed to the 'Queen Victoria' by 1850

Mike Laughton
March 3, 2015 @ 9:36 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The address given for the Salutation Inn in the All Saints records is Red Lion Square.