The Camp at Easton-on-the-Hill

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: The Camp at Easton-on-the-Hill
Topic Originator: Helen Cullum
Post Date September 8, 2015 @ 5:40 PM

Helen Cullum
September 8, 2015 @ 5:40 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I am completing some family research and have a birth certificate which gives the place of birth as 'The Camp' at Easton-on-the-Hill in 1947.  Does anybody have any ideas what the camp was, where it was located or if there are any records or photos of it?  Thanks
Hello

I am completing some family research and have recently received a birth certificate which gives both the birth location and the Mother's address in 1947 as The Camp at Easton-on-the-Hill.  Does anyone know what The Camp was in 1947 or whether there are additional records that will enable us to find out more.

Thanks!

Jim Hussey
September 19, 2015 @ 6:18 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

"The Camp"  I think that the Camp referred to a site used as housing at the end of World war 2. This was in the case of Easton on the Hill this was on redundant part of R A F  Wittwering/Collyweston . Stamford had it`s own Camp on the old Prisoner of War site on Empingham Rd.  See other posts regarding this.  Many other areas had their own Camp, another local one was at Folkingham , on R A F Folkingham. I think that with the post war baby boom many people born 1946-1950 ish had an address as the Camp.

Gary J.
December 10, 2015 @ 1:06 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The Camp that was down the lane to the right as you approach the Church, was used in 1944-1945 by the 1st Battalion of the Polish Parachute Brigade.