Huts and Halls

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Huts and Halls
Topic Originator: Mike Laughton
Post Date October 23, 2015 @ 7:38 AM
 Huts and Halls
 RE: Huts and Halls
 RE: Huts and Halls

Mike Laughton
October 23, 2015 @ 7:38 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

During the 1940s, 50s and 60s, Stamford had several huts and halls that could be hired by families, organisations and members of the public for wedding receptions, 21st birthday parties, dances, jumbles sales. parties and fund raising events.
Most of these are now long gone with other buildings now standing on the sites they once occupied.
These are the ones I remember quite vividly:
THE TIN HUT - also known as the All Saints' Church Rooms, located in an elevated position towards the bottom of Foundry road. A cheap and popular venues for big families gathering like weddings, birthdays and anniversary parties.  I remember that during the late 40s/early 50s a magician/conjurer used to come and perform a well-attended one hour children's show every year. Anyone else remember that?
THE SCOUT HUT - headquarters of Stamford Boy Scouts towards the bottom of Conduit Road. Another popular venue for parties, jumble sales and social gatherings.
THE ALBERT HALL  - located more or less on the site where Tescos and the Tesco car park now stands. It was set back from the High Street and you had to walk through a narrow passageway between the shops to get to it. A very popular venue for parties, it was also used by the town's amateur  theatrical groups for rehearsals. Owned by the Congregational Church, it closed after the Congregational Hall was built in Broad Street and the sit sold to Tescos.
THE DRILL HALL in St Peter's Street, Stamford. A very popular venue for bigger dances and social gatherings, it was the headquarters of the Lincolnshire Regiment of the Territorial Army in Stamford and had also been the HQ of the Home Guard during World War II. It lad became  Stamford Ex-Servicemens Club (British Legion) after the old British Legion Club on the site of what is now Warren Keep closed down.
LANSBURY HALL - between Blackfriars Street and Wharf Road. Opened in the 1930s as the headquarters of Stamford Labour Party. It was named after George Lansbury  actress Angela Lansbury's  grandfather - who would probably have become Prime Minister had he not been a pacifist. A popular venue for dances and large functions. Local entrepeneur Will Darnes used to promote dances and roller skating to music (a forerunner of roller disco) at the venue during the 1950s. Later the Green family took it over and ran it as a bingo and social club and eventually it became the Newage Social Club.
THE DARBY AND JOAN CLUB  - opened as a social meeting place for the elderly in the mid-1950s, it rapidly became a very popular venue for parties and wedding receptions and Shoestring Theatre used it for many years as the venue for their plays until the town's Arts Centre was built. Located at the bottom of Recreation Ground Road (at the junction with North Street)it closed shortly after the turn of the millennium and soon  became derelict.
ST GEORGES CHURCH HALL in St Paul's Street, Stamford.  This venue was a very solid well-built structure in St Paul's Street, Stamford. It was probably less popular than some of the other venues. Surrounded by buildings owned by Stamford School, it was, unsurprisingly, eventually absorbed into Stamford School.
THE ASSEMBLY ROOMS - a popular venue for some of the "posher" functions in the town, the assembly rooms and old Stamford Theatre became the new Stamford Arts Centre and Theatre in 1979. The venue however, was and is still owned by the Burghley Estate.
THE ODD FELLOWS HALL - headquarters of a masonic type society the Odd Fellows in All Saints' Street, Stamford. This medium sized hall could be hired for functions and eventually became a banqueting suite.
I haven't included the St Augustine's or St John's Church Room nor the Masonic Centre,  because during most of the period in question they were still being actively used as Schools.

Paul Oleksow
March 3, 2018 @ 8:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I used to go to Priory School in 2 Brownlow Terrace, it was run by Mr and Mrs Whitely, we used to go to the Albert Hall for our Christmas party. I had my 21st party at the tin hut.

Roger Partridge
April 8, 2018 @ 5:08 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

For a few years in the late 1950s the Stamford Free Church used the Darby and Joan Hall for their Sunday School, before their own premises were built in Kesteven Road. I also have vague memories of seeing a pantomime there in about 1956