Filming in Stamford

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Filming in Stamford
Topic Originator: David Farman
Post Date December 11, 2015 @ 4:49 PM
 Filming in Stamford
  Filming in Stamford

David Farman
December 11, 2015 @ 4:49 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Does anyone remember the public hanging they did down the bottom of Kings Mill Lane for the film titled Maria Martin ?

Mike Laughton
December 14, 2015 @ 7:10 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes, I remember it well! The film was made by an amateur film society in Corby and before the event the society contacted all the local Stamford Amateur Theatrical groups to see if any of their members would take part as unpaid extras. Many of us did of course and the filming attracted quite large crowds.
The film was based on Maria Marten - Murder in the Red Barn and based on a famous Victorian play which in turn was based on a famous real-life murder case which occurred in East Anglia during the 19th century.
I believe the filming took place around 1964 in Spring or early summer although I could even be wrong about the year.
Former Stamford mayor Bob Sandall took some interesting photos at the event including quite a funny one of me. We were all quite young at the time - late teens to early twenties..