MILK (vending) MACHINES

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: MILK (vending) MACHINES
Topic Originator: Mike Laughton
Post Date January 4, 2016 @ 7:12 PM
 MILK (vending) MACHINES
  MILK (vending) MACHINES
  MILK (vending) MACHINES
 RE: MILK (vending) MACHINES
 MILK (vending) MACHINES
 RE: MILK (vending) MACHINES
  MILK (vending) MACHINES
 MILK (vending) MACHINES

Mike Laughton
January 4, 2016 @ 7:12 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Does anyone else remember the milk vending machines that used to be at various locations in the town during the 1960s (and perhaps the 70s).
I know there was one in outside the shop in St Peter's Hill across the road from the bus station and, I believe, another in Red Lion Square. But I think there could have been up to about half a dozen at various locations in the town. I know they were dead useful because if you ever ran out of milk you could run out and get a carton at any time night or day.
I seem to recall the machines contained just milk or orange juice in pint cartons. I don't think any other drinks or milk shake flavours were available although I could be wrong.
I have no idea which company or dairy was responsible for the milk vending machines and I have no idea why they ceased to exist although I suspect vandalism may have been the reason.
This was at a time when there were also various cigarette vending machines outside several shops in the town as well.

Roger Partridge
January 8, 2016 @ 10:15 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Definitely remember the milk and cigarette machines, although never used them. I think you're correct about their locations.

Syd
January 9, 2016 @ 10:09 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

That one up St Peter's Hill was known as the the 'tin cow', Mike.  In the early sixties it was a gathering place  for mainly teenagers after we came out of the pubs on a Friday and Saturday night, never any trouble, it had strawberry flavoured milk then it was over the road to sit on the wall of the island and chat about any old thing and try to impress the girls, mostly to no avail!!
Good old times though.
There is another blog somewhere on this site, will look tomorrow.

Peter
January 12, 2016 @ 12:50 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I well remember the machine in St Peter's hill, known to us lads at the time as "the tin cow". I can't recall there being any others, but it was 50+ years ago and I've been to sleep since once or twice since!

Dave Leishman
January 12, 2016 @ 2:05 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

About 1960 I remember the St Peters Hill machine. I think it  was blue in colour and brightly lit. Do not remember any others at that time. It was probably the only place in Stamford that you could get a drink 24/7.
Somehow I recall that a cold drink of milk was very refreshing from that machine. It was never vandalised at that time. It was quite popular after the pubs had shut or when the local dances were over. I think by midnight the Willow and the Chinese were closed.
It was also a handy meeting place as in "see you up at the milk machine".
Regards.
David.

Jill
January 12, 2016 @ 7:56 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Slogan was "drinka pinta milk a day"..... Life was healthier then?

Peter
January 15, 2016 @ 2:29 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

"life was healthier then"

After a few pints in the Jolly Brewer and/or the Millstone followed by fish and chips or chinese, there was nothing like a carton of cold milk to round off a "healthy" night out lol. By the way, other pubs were available and were used frequently.

Yes Dave it was painted blue and I think it cost 6d a carton!

Peter Leatherbarrow
January 16, 2016 @ 7:10 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember it too. it was in a doorway between a newsagent's shop and the YMCA.