Dol-Toi

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Dol-Toi
Topic Originator: Peter Leatherbarrow
Post Date January 16, 2016 @ 7:22 PM
 Dol-Toi
 Dol-Toi
 Dol-Toi
 RE: Dol-Toi
  Dol-Toi
  Dol-Toi

Peter Leatherbarrow
January 16, 2016 @ 7:22 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Anyone else remember the Dol-Toi factory in West Street, in about the mid to late 1950's. I'm too young but I remember my Mum was a fund raiser for the RSPCA and Dol-Toi gave her some of the doll's house wooden furniture they made, so she could sell them at fund raising bazaars in Stamford.

( I always thought the RSPCA Inspector's name was funny, Mr Goodenough).

Roger Partridge
January 18, 2016 @ 9:57 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember Dol-Toi in Uffington Road, a brick building which is now occupied by a car dealer, but don't remember them in West St. I think the company was run by Mr C W P Ibbotson who lived in Bainton.

Martin Hardingham
January 21, 2016 @ 10:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My father, Louis Hardingham, owned the sports and toy shop in Ironmonger Street. I well remember him buying Dol-Toi products for the shop when the company was in its infancy. In those days, the late 40s, production was on a cottage scale in West Street and as it grew the factory moved to Uffington Road. I also remember in order to earn some pocket money, in my early teens, I helped Mr Ibotson produce some of the Dol-Toi furniture.

Jill
February 5, 2016 @ 10:01 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

There's lots of references to dol-toi on google images. We had lots of familiar dolls house items in nurseries  in s. London which I would say were made by dol-toi. They must have been quite unique in their time pre the plastic revolution after the 70s.

Chris Scott (Freear)
March 18, 2016 @ 7:30 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Dol-Toi operated from St  Leonard's Street, Stamford, prior to moving to The Uffington Road site. It was owned and run by a Mr & Mrs Ibotson, their son Tony took over when they retired and it was for him I worked in the late 60,s early 70's, producing drawings of the individual pieces of furniture etc. Prior to having a drawing, the machine operators were given a piece of assembled furniture to copy, which resulted in quite a lot of variation between what we're supposed to be identical items. I worked from home and still have the letter from Tony offering me this work at the grand sun of £1.50 an hour........it was quite generous then.

Peter Leatherbarrow
March 28, 2016 @ 11:25 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thanks Chris, and everyone else.

That must have been fiddly and precise work.