Stamford School Glider

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Stamford School Glider
Topic Originator: Vic
Post Date April 4, 2016 @ 10:09 PM
 Stamford School Glider
 Stamford School Glider
 : Stamford School Glider
 Stamford School Glider
 : Stamford School Glider

Vic
April 4, 2016 @ 10:09 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

When I was at Stamford School in the 1950s every Friday afternoon was devoted to Combined Cadet Force ( CCF ) training.I was in the cadet band and spent most of the time in the cricket pavilion practising with the group.From there we had an excellent view of the RAF lads trying to get their glider in the air! It was a huge contraption with a "pilot's seat" at the front.
Stretching out from it were two long elasticated ropes pulled by about a dozen people.The pilot was strapped into the seat and the boys  began to pull and stretch the ropes.We stopped and began to watch with bated breath.What the poor pilot was wondering as he looked across the entire length of the lower field and saw the trees at the top corner I shudder to think!
Someone shouted " Stand clear " and the anchor was released and like a stone from a catapult the glider shot across the grass. It would leave the ground for several seconds then the pilot had to get it down before it hit the trees.
As far as I know  there were no accidents but what would Health & Safety  think of it now ? Does anyone remember those exciting times ?

Roger Partridge
April 5, 2016 @ 8:31 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Although not a member of the CCF (by the mid 1960s less than half of the senior boys were members) watching several boys run across the edge of the playing field dragging a heavy glider was always a source of amusement. All that effort to get 2 inches above the ground for about 2 yards!

Mick Lynas
April 7, 2016 @ 10:12 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

They were great days Vic, I was in the School band with you. I think Health and Safety would have something to say about that Glider in modern times! Incidentally there are some good photos of the band with  the great Snod Riley who was the teacher in charge; on the school web site.

Vic
April 8, 2016 @ 8:48 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Well Mick - what a surprise! Thanks for your contribution.I thought it was worth a few lines - what did they think they were doing ?
You may remember an occasion the band performed - we had to play the Royal Salute for the old Duke of Gloucester when he opened Big School and/or the Science block round about 1958 - among the young boys cheering him was Michael Jackson later known as General Mike Jackson Chief of the British Army !

Hope you are going strong.

Vic

Mick Lynas
April 14, 2016 @ 3:47 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Vic
Yes I do remember the day well, it decided to rain cats and dogs right up to the time of the Duke appearing. I still have a very poor photo of the band awaiting his arrival.Steve Burman was head boy and walked alongside Mr Deed (Headmaster) and the Duke for the inspection.Even now I refer to the buildings as the new block whenever I pass the school (60 years later!) The school CCF has produced some fine military men and women over the years, long may it last.