Blackstones Pop Group Talent Contest

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Blackstones Pop Group Talent Contest
Topic Originator: Derek
Post Date August 12, 2016 @ 10:56 AM
 Pub Landlords
 Blackstones Pop Group Talent Contest

Derek
August 8, 2016 @ 2:33 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Remembering former publicans in the town, brings to mind a lovely couple named Tom and Doris Spencer, who during the early 1960s ran the Hurdler pub on New Cross Road.
In 1966-67 they moved to take over as landlord and landlady of the Crown and Woolpack in Scotgate. Doris died in Stamford in 1971, and Tom tragically lost his life in a road traffic accident just a few years later.

Derek
August 12, 2016 @ 10:56 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Can anyone remember the Pop Group Talent Contest that took place at some period during the early sixties in Blackstones Sports Field.?
I vaguely remember the wooden stage being somewhere close to where the covered stand now sits alongside the football pitch.
I can't remember the names of all the groups that took part in the contest, but I believe the two that finished in the top two places were called, the Ends and the Hedgehoppers.
If my memory serves me correctly, and I could be wrong, a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then, the runners-up on the day were the Ends, later to become better known as Cupids Inspiration, following their success in the music charts with, Yesterday Has Gone, which reached number 4, in 1968.
The winners I believe were five musicians working as Royal Air Force ground crew and servicing engineers at RAF Wittering, called the Hedgehoppers.
They later found fame as Hedgehoppers Anonymous, when in 1965, they reached number 5, in the hit parade with a song called, It's Good News Week.
If anyone can remember this event and can add to it please write in.