"Pop"ular

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: "Pop"ular
Topic Originator: Mike Laughton
Post Date November 15, 2016 @ 2:41 AM
 "Pop"ular
 "Pop"ular

"Pop"ular
 RE: POPular

Mike Laughton
November 15, 2016 @ 2:41 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Growing up in Stamford during the 1950s, we used to love a drink of "pop" - and there were a number of soft drinks available which are rarely seen today.
Probably the most popular brand was Corona which had a range of flavours including Limeade, Cherryade, Dandelion and Burdock, Orangeade, Lemonade and Ginger Beer. Other popular soft drinks included Tizer (which was a different flavour to the Tizer on sale today), Vimto (which is still available) and Portella (a fruity flavoured drink similar to Vimto).
Strangely we never saw Coca Cola or Pepsi Cola in those days. I think I had my first drink of Coca Cola in about 1958. It only became really popular in the UK after the emergence of the Coffee Bars in the late 1950s.
When buying a bottle of pop in those days you had to pay an extra threepence deposit for the bottle. You got your threepence back when you returned the empty bottle to the shop.  As kids we used to scour the litter bins at the bus station for discarded empty pop bottles then take them across to Frank Iliffe's shop to get the deposit back. Collect five empties and you could buy a full bottle of pop. We were skint and our families couldn't afford to buy us bottles of pop so that is how we got by in those post--war years
Thanks for this Mike. I can taste those flavours now. I think later they used to be delivered to your home if you had a regular order. Kate

Nigel Cross
November 16, 2016 @ 3:42 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Don't forget Ice cream Soda.........My favourite.

Roger Partridge
November 16, 2016 @ 8:24 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Corona was definitely being delivered in Stamford in the late 1950s and certainly throughout the 1960s. A firm called Woodbridges based in Radcliffe Road did home deliveries of not only beer, wines and spirits but also soft drinks in the early 1960s and possibly earlier or even later, but I suspect the soft drinks had to be part of an order for b, w and s.

Betty Haddon
November 19, 2016 @ 5:24 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Soft drinks were certainly a treat, I first tried Coca Cola in the café above Pinney's  the jewellers in Red Lion Square. My friend and neighbour,Dianne Matthews and I did a Sunday paper round and if we earned enough we would 'treat' ourselves to an ice cold Coca Cola - this would be around 1958 I think.

Mike Laughton
November 21, 2016 @ 12:49 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Do you know Betty, I do believe I had my first Coca Cola in the cafe above Pinneys as well.
When I first left school I used to go to the pictures on a Sunday night and when I came out of the Central I would always go into that cafe for a nice frothy foamy Horlicks as a nightcap. (Nobody else made Horlicks like they did).
I saw they were selling Coca Cola and other people seemed to be enjoying it so I tried it and I was hooked. Been drinking it ever since.
That would have been 1958.