Hallidays Field Casterton Road Stamford/Thomas Charity HALLIDAY and Samuel Fancourt HALLIDAY also workshop Greetham

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Hallidays Field Casterton Road Stamford/Thomas Charity HALLIDAY and Samuel Fancourt HALLIDAY also workshop Greetham
Topic Originator: Marion
Post Date July 31, 2005 @ 9:12 AM
 Hallidays Field Casterton Road Stamford/Thomas Charity HALLIDAY and Samuel Fancourt HALLIDAY also workshop Greetham
 RE: Hallidays Field Casterton Road Stamford
 RE: Hallidays Field Casterton Road Stamford
 RE: Hallidays Field Casterton Road Stamford/Thomas Charity HALLIDAY and Samuel Fancourt HALLIDAY also workshop Greetham

Marion
July 31, 2005 @ 9:12 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Years ago 1945 ish, we used to play in Hallidays Field.  It was two fields up from the end of Casterton Road where the Jelson Estate of houses is now.  We liked the field because in the middle was a circle of huge boulders (I think dug up from quarrying for clay).  The field was now covered in natural wild flowers and we used to play on these weathered boulders, jumping from one to another and devising games around them.  We found all kinds of flowers, what we called "egg and bacon", tansies, campions (pudding bags), etc.

Gail Hayes-Halliday
September 5, 2005 @ 8:06 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The field you refer to would I am sure have got its name from the owner either Thomas Charity Halliday of Greetham or his son Samuel Fancourt Halliday who at one time was Mayor of Stamford. Both father and son were builders and stonemasons and Thomas owned some stone quarries in the area.
I knew there was a place in Stamford, still I believe, refered to as Hallidays Yard, at one time it was the bus depot, but I had not heard of Hallidays field before.
Nice to add a bit more to the list. Thanks.
Ed: Yes Gail, there is a Hallidays yard - and yes, it was a bus depot.  I had not made the connection myself so thanks for this.  I think the yard is now small business units.
Gail: Going back to Hallidays field and its owners. If you are interested and get the chance go and take a look at the village of Greetham not far from Stamford, at the junction of Great Lane and High Street is the old workshop of Thomas Charity Halliday, he was well known as I said as a  builder and stonemason, he worked all over the country on churches and large houses etc, and he brought back bits of carving from his projects and put them in the walls of this workshop. Its the oddest looking place but quite fascinating to see. You cant miss it as you turn the corner.
Even if you have no interest in the Halliday family its still an intriguing little workshop.
Just for the record, my Halliday 'clan' go back to the 1500's they are mostly from Rutland and then 'migrated' to Stamford c1800 and stayed there till the 1930/40's when my branch came to Nottingham

kate
September 25, 2005 @ 1:47 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

hello Gail.  My sister reminded me that our grandfather, William SWANN of Ryhall and our great uncle FRANK DAVIS used to work in Hallidays Quarry in Casterton Road, Stamford!  They must have worked for your family who were the stonemasons involved in Hallidays Field.  They used to start work at 6 a.m. so had an early start from Ryhall (walking) every morning.  FRANK lived at Collyeston with his sister and her husband Walter and Lilian(nee DAVIS) ELY Slaters Drift Collyweston.  FRANK had lost his wife in childbirth and also the child, and never really recovered from the loss.

Kate
August 24, 2010 @ 5:57 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

See Lynn's posting Going up the Fields

Lynn
October 19, 2010 @ 5:10 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi. Kate, you are right I have never contributed before, my best friend Chris Scott, and Phil Rudkin said that I should contribute as I am a Stamfordian, but been living in South Africa for the past 42 years.  I will keep in touch and make contributions from time to time.  Hoping to return to Stamford to live next year. Woo hoo.!
Kate: Hi Lynn.  So glad you found the forum.  I think this was due to your best friend Chris.  We have a photo of you on our gallery - mind you, you were about 10 at the time - so the years have flown by. (actually 2 photos now  I have checked - wow 1946 and 1949 - all that flowing  hair!) Hope you will keep in touch and yes, you would like it back here - though you might miss the climate you are used to now. You could get a  winter fuel payment so you  could  like the rest of us,  have your cacoon of warmth to live in - not quite the same as a warm breeze in your face though!