Hepworths

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Hepworths
Topic Originator: Richard Campbell
Post Date February 6, 2017 @ 12:41 PM
 Hepworths
 RE: Hepworths
  Hepworths
  Hepworths
  Hepworths
  Hepworths
 : Hepworths

Richard Campbell
February 6, 2017 @ 12:41 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I have a photo from the 1960s which has a shop in the background which looks like Hepworths.
Was there a Hepworths in Stamford?
If not, where was the nearest.

I will post the photo if someone can explain how to do it. The photo is of a Talbot car which originally belonged to Parish's.

Regards,

Richard.j
Hi Richard. To send the photo send to me
kate@ancestorgateway.com
I'm not sure if my email kate@stamfordtown.net  is working properly.
Anyway, send the photo from your computer in an email by clicking on send email.  Hope you manage it.  Look forward to receiving at this end.

Roger Partridge
February 6, 2017 @ 9:14 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I don't remember a Hepworths in Stamford in the 1960s. Fairly certain there was one in Peterborough

Colin Fowler
February 7, 2017 @ 11:01 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The only shop I can think you are referring is woodhouses home furnishings.  They were between Ironmongers street and the Library opposite St Michaels church.

Roger Partridge
February 8, 2017 @ 10:24 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Richard I think there may have been a Hepworths in the old Woodhouse building in the 1970s or 80s. You mentioned a Talbot car, although there were pre-war Talbots and their successors, Sunbeam-Talbots, the Talbot name was not used between 1954 and 1979.

Betty Thorp (nee Bradshaw)
February 10, 2017 @ 8:17 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

there was a Hepworth in Stamford in the 1950 -60's in the he High Street on the corner of Ironmonger Street.  It moved to Peterborough down by the Cathedral.

Roger Partridge
February 11, 2017 @ 9:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

According to Ken Ford's "Who Traded Where" there was  a Hepworths on the corner of Ironmonger Street and High Street between 1922 and 1950 when Hill's china shop took over and that was definitely there in 1957/8 as I remember going in there with my mother. The tailor's shop I thought was Hepworths in the old Woodhouse building was Burton's.

Roger Partridge
February 11, 2017 @ 9:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

According to Ken Ford's "Who Traded Where" there was  a Hepworths on the corner of Ironmonger Street and High Street between 1922 and 1950 when Hill's china shop took over and that was definitely there in 1957/8 as I remember going in there with my mother. The tailor's shop I thought was Hepworths in the old Woodhouse building was Burton's.

Ian
February 12, 2017 @ 8:04 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I believe Hepworths were on the corner of Ironmonger St which was taken over by Hills and sold crockery. It is now Superdrug. Hepworths was in mosaic on the entrance floor on the corner.

Richard Campbell
February 16, 2017 @ 11:27 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Kate,
Have sent photo to both of your addresses.
Richard
Sorry Richard unable to process the photo. K

Nick
December 19, 2017 @ 11:40 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Roger, Hepworth's had a shop in the High St from the mid 70's. You may recall the huge fire at Woodhouse the furniture store, after the fire the building was rebuilt internally, keeping the old stone front. As part of the rebuild two new shops were created fronting the High St, one was Hepworths the other Paige ladies store. The whole block in earlier years was Oates & Musson's a well known store that fronted the High St & included the corner of Ironmonger Street.After Oates & Musson's closed the corner became Hill's pot shop. In turn the corner became Stead & Simpson's shoes.

John Tyers
January 7, 2018 @ 6:42 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Opposite Hepworths on the corner of Ironmonger Street was Victor Bright's toyshop before and during the early weeks of the war.  I remember my mother buying me a green painted metal crane for my birthday from him, a genial and friendly character.  Someone told me he shut up shop as he had been called up into the forces.