The Stamford Ironwater Spa, Stamford Meadows

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: The Stamford Ironwater Spa, Stamford Meadows
Topic Originator: Philip Rudkin
Post Date July 4, 2017 @ 9:38 PM
 RE: The Stamford Ironwater Spa, Stamford Meadows
 : The Stamford Ironwater Spa, Stamford Meadows

Philip Rudkin
July 4, 2017 @ 9:38 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Recently I was asked if I knew anything about the Stamford Meadows Ironwater Spa.  I did, and I passed on the info to my friends.  I have my Mum's old photograph Album, and in it are two photographs, one of my Uncle and Aunt, sitting on the Spa, and the other of my Mum sitting on it. They had obviously gone there together. There are no dates on these photographs, so I dated them probably about 1921.  I remember being told that in those days courting couples used to go to sit on the Spa.  Then I was pleased to read in the Stamford Mercury of 30 June 2017, that the St. Peter's Community Group (with the new Mayor, Tony Story and the Mayoress),  had re-furbished the Spa.  Has anyone got memories or stories about this Stamford local gem?

Clem Walden
July 11, 2017 @ 4:53 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Phil, the old iron water Spa must have been visited by hundreds in days gone by. I remember those Sunday afternoon walks across the Meadows on our visits to the Spa it was a long walk for my very young legs then. And I was always pleased when we reached the iron bridge as we only had a couple of 100 yards to go to reach our goal.  Bottles at the ready would be filled with the Spa water " it cured all ailments" I was told? Of course I was only a child then. But as I grew older I often would go swimming with friends at the Water Fall and as we passed the Spa we would always have a drink of this magic water? In later life my wife and I took our own children up to the Spa on several occasions. But last time I visited the Spa was in 2009 and I was very surprised to find the Spa so far from the river bank and overgrown. During my swimming trips the Spa was within 6ft of the river bank.  But of course the pumping of water from the Welland  for the reservoirs has effected both the width and the depth of the Welland.  I am however delighted with the work that has just been carried out and was pleased to read the story in the Mercury about  the iron water Spa.

Betty Haddon
July 14, 2017 @ 2:00 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

We regularly walked up the meadows when I was growing up and drank from the spa whenever we passed it.We always thought the 'iron water' was good for us,it was refreshing if returning from Easton or Tinwell, it's good to hear of the refurbishment - is the water still drinkable? I seem to think it was closed off at some point.

Richard
July 14, 2017 @ 5:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

In the 1950's our family would walk the meadows. Usually we would reach the onion shaped spa and sit close by and take the water from the small trickle. It was of course stained brown from the iron but it didn't Put us off drinking the elixir  which as children we were told had magical properties.

Philip Rudkin
September 11, 2017 @ 9:31 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

A video has recently been produced, about the Stamford Ironwater Spa, Stamford Meadows.  It is very interesting.  The producer has researched the details from the past. I recommend it to all those interested in this Stamford historical Ironwater spa.  The link is as follows:    
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaSI-DhD4Fc                            
Hope that you enjoy this short video!

Jill
September 13, 2017 @ 12:02 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Would love to know the actual detail/science of  the Spa. No one seemed to have the information in my day. Have memories of walks from Tinwell road, down Water Furlong (uncle lived at 'the willows' ) and along the Welland, paddling, fishing for unknown specimens to save in jamjars, and scarily, on the way home we were encircled by the cows who obviously didn't like dogs! Must look out for all the  changes when I next visit Stamford.

Philip Rudkin
September 20, 2017 @ 10:30 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Jill, good to hear your early memories of the Iron Water Spa, and trips down Stamford Meadows.  I have some research papers (courtesy of the Video author) on Email.  The author researched the Stamford Mercury files, and it is fascinating.  If you want copies, I can attach them on  email to you, if you wish.

Jill
October 16, 2017 @ 9:04 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Philip, yes wd be grateful for more information on the Stamford Ironwater Spa, my email isjill.eljadi@googlemail.com many thanks and hope this can be arranged.

Peter Leatherbarrow
October 26, 2017 @ 10:35 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Those researching the Ironwater Spa should use the word  “chalybeate” in their research as this refers to water containing iron crystals. There's a similar spring well at BILLINGBOROUGH (sorry for capitals, my spelling's bad so I pasted the word!).

Philip Rudkin
October 28, 2017 @ 10:11 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Sorry Jill, but I tried to send you an Email message, but it has bounced back to me: undelivered.
So, can you please email me, and I can then send you the link for the Video of the Spa, also other research by the author.  Email: phil.rudkin@talktalk.net

Brian Gooch
September 12, 2018 @ 7:53 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

In the 1940 we frequently walked up to the spa to fill several bottles of the water; never thought it tasted very pleasant.
How I wished I had a camera with me  when,after the severe winter of 1947/8 and all the snow had melted and great flood was over, walking upto the spa very surprised to see that smooth rounded top had been swept off and one could look down a stone clad shaft to the water level which was the same as river surface level, thereby meaning the spa water never came up to either of the two outlets. One could see a verticle crack allowing the water to seep into the river rather than rise to the outlets.
A tractor with an early front end loader attachment was used with strong canvas webbing replaced the top (sadly without the crack in the shaft being repaired). Hence no more spa water. However one can occasionally see traces of iron staining water close to the bank when flow is slow and low.