Haslet and other local foods

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Haslet and other local foods
Topic Originator: Mike Laughton
Post Date September 18, 2017 @ 11:40 AM
 RE: Haslet and other local foods

Mike Laughton
September 18, 2017 @ 11:40 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

For as long as I can remember I have enjoyed a slice of fried haslet as an alternative to bacon for breakfast.
But it is only recently that I have discovered that Haslet is very much a local food known in other parts of the country as LINCOLNSHIRE Haslet. And many people I know who live on the south coast and other areas have never heard of Haslet. Melton Mowbray is famous for its Stilton cheese and pork pies but it would appear that Lincolnshire and the Stamford area has other traditional foods apart from Lincolnshire Sausages.
When I was young I had an elderly relative who used to enjoy a dish she called "Pigs Fry". It consisted of about four of five different items of pork offal. She would fry it all together and eat it with a couple of slices of bread and butter. She considered it a delicacy.
I don't know if "Pigs Fry" was a common dish but the butchers certainly knew what she wanted when she asked for it. Does anyone else have memories of Pigs Fry or other local foods?

Derek
October 9, 2017 @ 10:37 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember having Haslet when I was a lad and very nice it was too.
I don't think i've had any since it just seems to be one of those foods i'd forgotten all about.
On the subject of "Pigs Fry" I know dad used to enjoy Pigs Belly he saw that as a delicacy.
Although he used to invite me on occasions to to try some I couldn't not even a small piece just the sight and smell of it was enough for me.
Happy memories.

John Tyers
October 9, 2017 @ 4:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

We will only eat Haselet from Nelsons who seem to have the right combination of spiciness and taste which no other supplier can provide.  I don't know if Haselet with an H is correct or is this just upper class Stamford useage or Acelet which I have seen displayed as such on counters in other towns.  Note "Acelet."  Which is factually correct?

John Tyers
October 9, 2017 @ 4:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

We will only eat Haselet from Nelsons who seem to have the right combination of spiciness and taste which no other supplier can provide.  I don't know if Haselet with an H is correct or is this just upper class Stamford useage or Acelet which I have seen displayed as such on counters in other towns.  Note "Acelet."  Which is factually correct?

Roger Partridge
October 9, 2017 @ 9:36 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I used to enjoy both haslet and black pudding, but haven't had either since I left Stamford over 40 yrs ago

Nick M
October 11, 2017 @ 11:33 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Can't beat a bit of Nelson's Haslet!!!

Richard Campbell
October 18, 2017 @ 10:29 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

As well as Haslet there was also scraps from the pork butchers.....They are calledPork Scratchings today. Great with new bread and plenty of salt.
Never tried fried haslet....but will do..sounds delicious.
My local butcher in Holbeach makes his own haslet...and all sorts of pies....

I wonder how the name haslet came about.

David Leishman
October 22, 2017 @ 7:05 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I used to enjoy Haslet. It was readily available in Peterborough and Stamford.
Never really questioned the ingredients. When you start to look into the recipes for some of these types of products you realise that they are made up of all kinds of animal parts take Haggis and Blood Pudding for example.
The word Haslet appears to be derived from the old French word Hastilles which means animal entrails. I think sometimes if you like a product it's best not to ask what its made from.
Regards.
David.

Peter Leatherbarrow
October 26, 2017 @ 10:13 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

As far as I know from back in the early 70's my then girlfriend who lived in Bourne told me about Haselet and she and her parents used to enjoy it often.

I now live on the South coast at New Milton, Hants and I can buy it in all the larger Tesco stores from the cold meat counter. It's the cheapest cold meat you can buy.

When I was in digs in Barton on Humber (nr Scunthorpe) in 1974 my land lady used to cook Pigs Fry sometimes, I only tried it once and thought it was disgusting!

Nelson's Melton Mowbray Pork Pie is delicious and can even be bought from them online and dispatched by courier to anywhere in UK.

There is a nice tie-in with Northfields School (aka Miss Green and Miss Smith's) in that a friend of mine who was with me there, Guy Gilman,  now owns Nelson's.

Mike Laughton
November 1, 2017 @ 10:40 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes, I had forgotten about Nelson's scraps. I used to love them with bread and butter and tomato ketchup. Perhaps not the healthiest food but certainly tasty. They were somewhat different to pork scratchings though. Pork scratchings are made from the skin of the pig whereas Nelson's scraps came from the fat.
Pork scatchings were very much a West Midlands thing and used to be sold in packets in pubs in the Black Country alongside potato crisps long before they came to be marketed nationwide.
I understand that the demise of Nelson's scraps came about more than 20 years ago as a result of EU regulations when Europe started to dictate what British Butchers shops could and could not sell.

Mike Laughton
November 1, 2017 @ 10:45 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

THIS IS WHAT WICKPEDIA HAS TO SAY ABOUT HASLET:-
In British English, haslet or acelet is a pork meatloaf with herbs, originally from Lincolnshire. The word is derived from the Old French hastilles meaning entrails. In Lincolnshire, haslet is typically made from stale white bread, ground pork, sage, salt and black pepper. It is typically served cold with pickles and salad, or as a sandwich filling. In England, it is commonly sold on a delicatessen counter.

Mike Laughton
November 1, 2017 @ 10:54 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Method
Prep:15min  ›  Cook:1hr30min  ›  Ready in:1hr45min 
Mince about half of the pork into a mixing bowl, then the onion, then the rest of the pork. (This ensures that all the onion gets through the mincer.) Add all other ingredients (except for the lard) and mix very well.
Preheat the oven to 170 C / Gas 3.
Take a 1 lb loaf tin, ideally non-stick, and grease very well with the lard. Alternatively, line with baking parchment and give a light greasing.
Put the mix into the tin, ensuring no gaps are left in the corners.
Place into the oven and bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the centre is hot.
Take out of the oven and allow to cool. Slice fairly thinly and enjoy!
Tip
Check to see if the centre is cooked about halfway through. If the top is browning too quickly, loosely cover with tinfoil. As an alternative to using a loaf tin, roll into a rough ball and cover with pork caul fat then place in a roasting tin uncovered.

Mike Laughton
November 1, 2017 @ 10:57 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

HASLET INGREDIENTS FOR RECIPE
Ingredients
Makes: 1 meatloaf
450g (1 lb) pork shoulder
1 medium cooking onion, quartered
150g (5 oz) breadcrumbs
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped sage
1/4 teaspoon hot red chilli
salt and pepper to taste
melted pork lard for greasing