Lack of Stamford street lighting after midnight

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Lack of Stamford street lighting after midnight
Topic Originator: John Tyers
Post Date October 15, 2017 @ 6:40 PM
 RE: Lack of Stamford street lighting after midnight

John Tyers
October 15, 2017 @ 6:40 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

What does everyone think of this?  I had to go out to meet a train at Peterborough in the early hours of Saturday and passing through town in my car, it was reminiscent of the wartime blackout.  Whole areas in complete darkness.  High Street where, arguably, no-one lives was lit up like Blackpool Illuminations though!  It must be dangerous for ladies working in premises open after midnight and having to walk home up to the estates.  If this is economy on the part of the District Council, is it a misplaced gesture if not completely wrong?

Roger Partridge
October 22, 2017 @ 8:15 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

This is just a return to how things were up to at least the 1970s, On most side streets streetlights went out at about midnight and on the more important roads alternate lights were extinguished. Stamford isn't the only town so affected, new less bright lights have been fitted in towns and cities throughout the country

Roger Partridge
November 19, 2017 @ 5:40 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I've suddenly realised that it was only about 60 years ago that Stamford got electric street lights. Up till then it was gas lamps and I can remember the new electric lamp standards on Casterton Road being only a few feet away from the gas lamps which were not removed for a year or two