Scotgate Stamford also query re 25 SCOTGATE

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Scotgate Stamford also query re 25 SCOTGATE
Topic Originator: Editor
Post Date August 4, 2005 @ 8:50 AM
 Scotgate Stamford also query re 25 SCOTGATE
 RE: Scotgate Stamford
 RE: Scotgate Stamford also query re 25 SCOTGATE
 RE: Scotgate Stamford also query re 25 SCOTGATE

Editor
August 4, 2005 @ 8:50 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

If you have memories of  how Scotgate Stamford used to be please send your memories of it to Stamford Memories Gateway.  Do you remember houses that have since been demolished or shops that have changed hands or are no longer there?  Let us know.

michael stubbs
September 20, 2006 @ 12:31 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

hi i am 16 years old and live at 25 scotgate I have heard rumours that my house used to be a funeral parlour (R.J SCHOLES), a pub and a police station i have always wanted to know if it is true please reply to me thank you

M.Stubbs

Kate
Hi Michael, thanks for your query re 25 Scotgate.  Anyone out there either in Stamford or with knowledge of Stamford, who can answer this query?  Can we have the info. on this house?

James Kudlinski
October 11, 2006 @ 8:47 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Michael,

I believe that the pub that you are thinking of was at number 26 and was known as some thing like The Rolfs Arms.
There was not a police station in Scotgate. The old police station site was in High Street under the clock oposite Maiden Lane. There was a fire station in Scotgate. It was situated in Hayes carrige works old building where the car park is. The gates next to the current fire station were relocated when the old building was demolished in the 1960`s. Scholes the undertakers was on the junction of Empingham Road and Rock Road near to Scotgate.

margaret clark
January 17, 2007 @ 5:51 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Rolts Arms was there from 1847, prior to that it was the Masons Arms, ancestors of mine were there, Robert and Ann Goodwin he Stonemason of Stamford,afterwards the daughter of Robert and Ann, Catherine Jane married Robert Middleton and they carried on the trade.

Kate:  Thanks for all this information Margaret.  Michael Stubbs was the original one to enquire about the history of this property. Seems there was lots of history.  I think there is a book in Walkers bookshop giving the history of local pubs - I must have a look when I am in there to see if it mentions either the Masons Arms or Rolts Arms of Scotgate.  Have you any more information about the family, i.e. Robert and Ann Goodwin - I am sure local people would be very interested to know.   I am sure Michael would also be very interested.
It seems strange to imagine those people prior to  1845 sitting in the Masons Arms.  Wonder if there is any info re the pub sign displayed?