Stamford Carnival 1950's

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Stamford Carnival 1950's
Topic Originator: Betty Haddon
Post Date February 10, 2018 @ 10:20 AM
 Stamford Carnival 1950's
 RE: Stamford Carnival 1950's

Betty Haddon
February 10, 2018 @ 10:20 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

We always went to the carnival, for several years my sisters and I were entered for the fancy-dress competition with some success.Mum made our costumes from available materials including crepe paper and card. The carnival assembled in Broad St.and comprised of bands,floats - lorries and drivers from local firms- there would be Stamford Beauty Queen and her attendants, decorated prams and bicycles,children in different age groups.Stamford Town Band and Corby Pipe Band come to mind. The parade left via Star Lane, through High Street, St.Mary's, up St.Martin's to the football ground. Judging and events took place in the arena which was surrounded by stalls,tombola, refreshments etc.. It was a long day when taking part but we all enjoyed it and I only remember sunny carnival days!

Mike Laughton
February 17, 2018 @ 4:11 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Betty,
Stamford's annual Carnival was one of the highlights of my 1950s childhood. I seem to recall it was organised for many years by the British Legion. On many occasions it included a marching band competition and the bands taking part also took part in the parade which made it all the more colourful.
As well as the floats there were fancy dress competitions for children and adults and people taking park were also included in the parade marching along behind the floats on foot.
In later years the annual carnival was organised to raise funds for the Spastics society.
More happy memories.

TIM MUSGROVE
February 28, 2018 @ 8:22 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

see my post re miss daniels 25 6 2010 with the photos of the lorry with a miss daniels  on the back going up st martins to the football ground

tim

Betty Haddon
May 10, 2018 @ 5:35 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Mike, good to hear your memories of the carnival too, I remember customers and shop staff on the pavement as the parade travelled up to the football ground. A competition to find the ' odd item' in a shop window was also run, am I right in thinking this was in the lead up to the carnival? We used to enjoy that too!