scotgate plastics

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: scotgate plastics
Topic Originator: Linda Scopes
Post Date June 24, 2018 @ 12:55 PM
 scotgate plastics
 RE: scotgate plastics

Linda Scopes
June 24, 2018 @ 12:55 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

does anyone remember a plastics factory in scotgate stamford i worked there around 1965 they made childrens plastic bowls and beakers not many people worked there very small place my name is Linda the place was owened by Philip Gladstone not sure if he is still around .

Roger Partridge
July 20, 2018 @ 8:50 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes, remember Scotgate Plastics, it was in the former Wheatleys and Farrows motorcycle showroom, which is where Farriers Mews is now. Philip Gladstone lived in a rather modest Jelson semi in Highlands Way but owned a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud, a Mercedes Benz 190SL and a little rear engined Fiat 500, they had sequential registrations GLA 131, GLA 132 and GLA 133. He was an ex RAF officer and I think he stood (or intended to stand) for parliament at the 1964 general election as the Liberal candidate for Stamford and Rutland. I don't know how successful his business was, but he was often standing outside his premises watching the world go by. Definitely still going in 1969 and Ken Ford says 1975, but I thought it had closed by then. If he is still alive  Philip would be in his 90s

Andy Matthews
July 21, 2018 @ 10:05 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The only plastics factory I can think of at that time was Cascelloids Plastics Factor. Cascelloids was just up the hill on West Street, just off Scotgate.The Waitrose Store in Stamford is now on the site.

Richard Campbell
July 27, 2018 @ 7:14 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Philip Gladstone was a friend of my parents, we lived opposite each other in Stamford. I also worked there between leaving school and starting work.
He moved to Bourne after marrying the daughter of Mr Frisby who had the electrical shop opposite St John's church. You must have been there when I was.
I have not seen him for years....if he is alive he must be in his late 90s. He was distantly related to Gladstone the Prime Minister.

tom mytton
August 18, 2018 @ 5:20 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

i think this became casseliods

Richard Campbell
August 29, 2018 @ 9:23 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember Scotgate Plastics.
The owner, Phillip Gladstone,  was a friend of my Fathers and I worked there in 1966 between leaving school and starting my apprenticeship..

Roger Partridge
September 27, 2018 @ 8:47 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Scotgate Plastics was nothing to do with Cascelloid. Scotgate Plastics was a very small operation on part of the site of Farriers Mews. Cascelloid were established in Stamford many years prior to SP, their factory being in West Street in what is now part of Torkington Gardens and expanding across the road in the late 1960s building the the premises now occupied by Waitrose. Cascelloid were part of British Xylonite who also had factories in Leicester and Suffolk.