BIG PARADES in the 1950s

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: BIG PARADES in the 1950s
Topic Originator: Mike Laughton
Post Date July 28, 2018 @ 3:23 AM
 BIG PARADES in the 1950s

Mike Laughton
July 28, 2018 @ 3:23 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

During my childhood in 1950s Stamford, major parades would be held through the streets of the town several times a year.
The most important of these parades was Remembrance Day held on the second Sunday in November.
Other big parade days were Battle of Britain Sunday in September, the Mayors Parade in May and an event called Empire Day during the summer.
The parades were always led by a band and hundreds of townsfolk would take part. Virtually every family in the town would have someone taking part.
The parades were always held on a Sunday and organisations taking part would include RAF Wittering, The British Legion, the Territorial Army, The Mayor and Corporation, Stamford Army Cadets, The ATC, St John's Ambulance. Red Cross, Scouts and Guides. the RAFA and other bodies.
The parades usually included a religious service held in the open air in front of the war memorial in Broad Street and the biggest street in town would be full with the people taking part.  Some parade like Mayors Sunday usually finished up at a church.
It must be remembered that organisations such as the Red Cross and St John's Ambulance had men's, women's and boys and girls units which helped to swell the number of people taking part in the parades.
I think these parades were usually led by the town band although the army cadets also had a bugle and drums band during this period.
Anyone else have memories of these parades? I would imagine Remembrance Day and Mayor Making parades still take place today.m