fish shops Stamford

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: fish shops Stamford
Topic Originator: freda
Post Date August 5, 2005 @ 2:17 PM
 fish shops Stamford
 Old Stamford Chippies
  fish shops Stamford
 fish shop/small fry
  fish shops Stamford
  fish shops Stamford
 RE: fish shops Stamford
 fish shops Stamford
  fish shops Stamford
  fish shops Stamford
  fish shops Stamford
  fish shops Stamford
  fish shops Stamford
 fish shops Stamford
  fish shops Stamford
  fish shops Stamford
 fish shops Stamford/Les Nicholls
  fish shops Stamford/Mr Nicholls
  fish shops Stamford/Nick's
  fish shops Stamford/Reg Hilliard
  fish shops Stamford
 fish shops Stamford
  fish shops Stamford
 fish shops Stamford
  fish shops Stamford
  fish shops Stamford/Mr Peake's grandson
 fish shops/model planes
  fish shops/HMS Cossack
  fish shops Stamford/Golden fry
  fish shops Stamford
  fish shops Stamford
  fish shops/Keith Hopkins
  fish shops Stamford
  fish shops Stamford/Bone's
 fish shops/skirmish
 fish shops Stamford
  fish shops Stamford
  fish shops Stamford
  fish shops/Albert Swain
  fish shops Stamford
  fish shops Stamford
  fish shops Stamford
  fish shops Stamford
  fish shops Stamford
  fish shops Stamford

freda
August 5, 2005 @ 2:17 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

We used to call in at the Fish Shop in Broad Street when we had been to the Central cinema.  We always used to get a nice bag of chips with plenty of vinegar and salt on them to eat on the way home.  As we walked up Scotgate we also passed two more  fish and chip shops, one of which was run by two ladies called Mrs Beall and the other by Jack Frisby and his son.   There was also a wet fish shop in  Cheyne Lane. When my mother bought wet fish for our tea I used to watch the fishmonger filleting the fish - it looked so easy with his sharp knife but my mum said it was quite difficult to do.  She would sometimes make a fishpie - and that was my favourite.  It had hardboiled eggs in it and a nice sauce poured over the top.  My mum was an excellent cook.

Mike Laughton
October 20, 2012 @ 11:33 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

When I was a little boy, a visit to the cinema was always followed by a visit to Mary Frisby's Fish and Chip Ship in Broad Street. Mary was a lovely Irish  lady and one of the most popular personalities in the town.
Later she and her husband Jack opened a chippie in North Street and there is still a takeaway on the site.
Unfortunately Jack and Mary's marriage broke up and Jack took over the North Street chippie while Mary moved to the fish and chip shop in All Saints' Street.
Jack later became Mayor of Stamford.
Mary's old Chippie in Broad Street was later run by a family from London called Dighton. (I was at school with their son Michael). Today it is owned by a consortium of Greek businessmen,
Another popular chippie was Harry Bones in West Street near Felix Vines Barber shop (Anything for weekend Sir?) on the corner of Scotgate.
Harry's son Jack became a wrestler and the family is still in Stamford.
Descendants of Jack and Mary Frisby are also still living in the town.
During the 1960s Barsby's fish and chip shop in St Leonard's Street was a popular late night chippie.
It was the only fish and chip shop that used to put on an impromptu cabaret for the customers. Jack liked a drink and when he arrived back at the chippie late at night while his missus was serving a highly entertaining argument would always ensue.
Jack met a tragic and heroic end. During the early 1970s a fire broke out at the chippie and Jack lost his life trying to rescue his wife's mother who lived with them in the accommodation above the chip shop.

Lynda
October 22, 2012 @ 2:12 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I am sure many people will remember Cyril Hardy's fish and chip shop in Bentley Street.   I think he only opened lunchtimes and tea time.  His chips were really good and there was always a long queue outside the shop.  When I was a small girl my mum would send one of my sisters or me for chips, that was a real treat.

syd
October 23, 2012 @ 11:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Lynda, my mum sent us to cyril's chippy from Essex Road and could just about see over the counter, He always had long queues because he fried the fish individually for each customer, I always thought his was the best chippy, many years later I married and moved to New Street just around the corner and I was not disappointed, the service was just as slow and the fish and chips as good as I remembered.
But my first thought that every thing was so small and cramped and the counter had shrunk down to about my belly button level!

Patrick
October 24, 2012 @ 8:39 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

In the mid-1930s, when I was about ten years old, a friend and I used to go tha fish and chip shop in a cottage in Scotgate across the road from Dexter`s garage. The fish and chips were cooked in the copper in the back kitchen. The shop was run by an old couple and I think it was only open on some evenings when Jack Frisby was closed. Does anyone else remember it?

Clem Walden
October 24, 2012 @ 11:02 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Patrick you may well be refering to "Beals Fish and Chip Shop" that would have been within the location you describe. I remember Mrs Beal and the fish shop.  
I recall visiting the shop on several occasions as a young boy.  The fish and chips always tasted OK. Mrs Beal was a large pleasent lady who had jet black hair up in a sort of bun style. Perhaps others out there will also remember "Beals".
Thanks Clem.  

John Tyers
October 25, 2012 @ 12:48 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Mrs Beale's

Patrick
October 30, 2012 @ 7:08 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Clem and John
Beal`s, Beal`s, Beal`s! I shall remember it now. Many thanks.

betty
October 31, 2012 @ 6:57 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The Fish Shop in Broad Street was run by the "Askew" family before the Frisby family as Mrs. Hibbins from Lambeth Walk worked there

Clem Walden
November 1, 2012 @ 1:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Betty hope you and yours are all OK. "Askew Family" correct
re-Broad Street fish shop prior to "Frisby's Family. Do you know when the Frisby's took over? I seem to think it was about 1952/3 but not sure? Perhaps your brother will know the date?

Patrick
November 2, 2012 @ 5:46 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Before the war, I was at school with Roy Boon. I thought his father kept the Broad Street Fish Shop.

syd
November 2, 2012 @ 6:45 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Askew's, that's right, but it was always, shall we go to the Model after the flicks.
Modern youth wouldn't have any idea what we were on about!

Lynda
November 4, 2012 @ 10:11 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I lived round the corner from you, didn't I?

Clem Walden
November 5, 2012 @ 2:54 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi patrick you may well be correct re- The Boon's before the Askews. But I can't remember the Boon's. As Syd said it was always known as the Model Fish Bar. If my memory serves me well the internal layout  was very different in the late 40s early 50s. As you walked in the fish shop the counter and all the fish friers etc were on the left, like a long passage area.There was also a  room on the right for those who wished to eat in. The upstairs area was used for living accomodation. The Model fish shop today has the friers and counter on the right where that small room once was. And where the present seating is situated was where the old counter and friers once stood. Perhaps you or Syd could confirm if my memory is still sound?

betty
November 5, 2012 @ 4:04 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Were you Lynda Lilley

John Tyers
November 5, 2012 @ 4:45 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Shop on the right immediately at the top of Lowe's passage connecting Broad St to North Street was that not Toon's Fish and Chip saloon?

Peter
November 5, 2012 @ 4:49 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Before Mary and Jack Barsby ran the chippy in St Leonard's street it was owned by the Glover's and you had to negotiate their son's (Albert) AJS motorbike that used to be parked in the shop. Albert later ran the North street chippy. The Glover's other son David ('Stump' junior) worked at Allis Chalmers as John Tyers will no doubt remember. There was also an excellent chippy in Water street, the name of which escapes me. I also remember that one of the people who ran the Model for a while was a skilled model maker in his spare time, and had his work displayed in Oliver Carley's in Peterborough.

Stamford in those days had lots of good fish and chip shops, lots of pubs, good independant shops and a live High Street.

Patrick
November 5, 2012 @ 7:48 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The fish and chip shop in Water Street was owned by a Mr Clarke - (I forget his first name)

betty
November 5, 2012 @ 9:11 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I think the Fish Shop in Water Street was Hilliard's if my memory serves me right.

Was Toon's?  or  Boon's? not a Wet Fish Shop round the corner in Red Lion Street?

Also Clem I think Askews did have the Fish Shop in 1951-52

John Tyers
November 6, 2012 @ 11:13 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hilliards succeeded Clarkes in Water Street; Toons definitely a fried fish shop, remember going in there with my mother early in the war.

Patrick
November 7, 2012 @ 5:46 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I believe Les Nicholls took over the Water Street Fish Shop from Mr Hilliard

syd
November 7, 2012 @ 6:42 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Didn't a Mr Nichols run it at some time in the sixties?
He was a business man and I think, a councillor.

Roger Partridge
November 7, 2012 @ 9:03 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

In the early 1970s the Water Street chip shop was called Nick's, as it was run by Leslie Nicholls.

Clive Hilliard
November 8, 2012 @ 8:33 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Water street fishshop, I think Clarkes first name was George.  Reg Hilliard then owned it afterwards.

Dan Entwisle
November 11, 2012 @ 8:23 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Mrs Barsby ran the St Leonards Street shop into the 1980s.  I was in there a couple of years ago, and the Chinese family who own it now remembered her.

Who remembers the chippy on North Street?  It was called Stan's I think.  From memory (I was only a kid back in the early '80s) you went in an there was a long, sloped passage down to where you bought the fish and chips.  There was a railing down the middle for "in" and "out"

Another good chippy was on St Peter's Hill.  It opened around 1980ish.

Did the Regis family not open a chippy in the early 1980s near Hawley's bike shop?

Not strictly a chippy, but there was a fantastic burger place where you could sit in.  It was on the little road that links Broad Street and Red Lion Square.  They had a seeminly endless choice of milk shakes.

Lynda
November 12, 2012 @ 1:15 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Does anyone remember the wet fish shop at the top of the High Street, I think it was the Co-op just on the opposite corner to where the dry cleaners is now.  The Co-op shop was on the corner of high street and St Paul's street and as you walked down to St Georges Street there was an entry to the back of the Co-op and the fish shop was on the other side of the entry.

syd
November 13, 2012 @ 2:17 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

You are right Linda and the co-op butcher was further down, next to the little book shop, I used to work as an errand boy there and Phil S. used to as well.

Patrick
November 13, 2012 @ 2:19 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I think the fish shop you remember was run by Harry Peake, a real character. The shop was open at the front with marble slabs to lay the fish on. A shutter came down to close the shop.
In the late 1930s, about 1936, I think, there was man standing outside the shop playing a trombone with a cap for collections on the ground. After a while, Harry Peake was fed up with the sound so he grabbed a kipper, stamped outside, rammed the kipper into the trombone and told the man `You want to mute that b****y thing!`.
He was fined a £1 for committing a breach of the peace. When WW2 started he received a letter from the Ministry of Food asking for details of his sales in 1939 so that he could be given a fish allocation. He ignored it as he did the second letter. When the third letter arrived, threatening to cut off his fish allocation if he did not provide the information, he put two ball bearings in the letter and sent it back unstamped, Despite all this, he continued to sell fish throughout the War and on until the 1950s when he retired.

John Tyers
November 13, 2012 @ 7:20 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I think it was originally owned by a Mr Peake.

John Tyers
November 14, 2012 @ 2:50 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I seem to remember Mr Peake's grandson was in our class at the dear old St Martin's School during the war, when it was a "real" school and before it was sold off and degenerated down the social scale to become a satellite of the High School!

Jim Hussey
November 16, 2012 @ 8:02 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The Model Fish Shop in Broad st. was run by a family called Reed during the 1960`s. Mr. Reed was a scratch-build model maker and used to make some model planes and boats that were used as window displays in travel agents. I went to Stamford School in the same year as Barry Reed, I remember him bringing to school a model Lockeed U2 which his father had built just after the Gary Powers Spy Plane incident.

Peter
November 23, 2012 @ 7:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thanks Jim for the name check on the Model Fish Bar. It was Barry Reed that I knew, probably from hanging around  upstairs in the toys and models section of Warners shop. The model made by Mr Reed that sticks in my mind was a large scale one of the destroyer HMS Cossack. I believe he had served on her as a 'Bunts' (signalman) during the war.

Tim Stubbs
January 31, 2013 @ 12:26 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

What was the name of the chippy on All Saints Street (just before it turns to St. Peter's)? I used to go there all the time with just enough money for a bag of chips left from playing video games in the taxi place on Sheep Market (in the 80s) and later on, after the pub. When did it close?

Also, The Golden Fry on St. Leonard's (on the corner with Wharf Rd) - what was it called before? I think it was a chippy in the 80s but run by Chinese. We used to get tea from there to eat in the RAFA club on St. Paul's St. in which we used to hire a room to play Dungeons and Dragons!!

Roger Partridge
January 31, 2013 @ 8:11 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Tim - in the 1950s it traded as Mary Frisby's but by late 1960s it was owned by K A W Sage

Maggie Brannigan nee Lange
March 29, 2013 @ 11:45 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember the fish shop in North street. Albert Glover ran it at one time and I also remember the slope. When it was fair week always called in there for a bag of chips and scraps in newspaper to eat on the way home. The Model in Broad street was good too.
There was a fish shop up St Peters street opposite the Bus Station. It was owned by the Hopkins brothers Bev and I cannot remember his brother. Happy Memories

clemwalden
March 31, 2013 @ 11:03 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The fish shop you refer to was owned by Keith Hopkins don't think his brothers "Bev-Mick-David [Da-do] had anything to do with it. But I may be wrong. In my days it was run by Mary Frisby they may have been others after Mary who took it over? But I believe Keith Hopkins was the last Stamford lad to run this chippy. Perhaps Syd or Betty may remember those others?

Patrick
April 1, 2013 @ 8:38 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I think I remember this shop being owned in the 40s by a man called Bone - or was it Wade? Did a Mr Sage take over from Mary Frisby in the 70s?

Roger Partridge
April 2, 2013 @ 6:42 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

T H Bone had the fish and chip shop in West Street, which was demolished in either 1960s or 1970s and a new one built a few yards further up.

K A W Sage had taken over the Mary Frisby shop by 1969.

Patrick
April 3, 2013 @ 5:48 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The fish and chip shop in St.Peter`s Street featured in an incident in the last war that probably few now remember. In 1943, six Czech aircrew were on a pub crawl in Stamford. By the time they arrived at the Millstone they were well away.  One of them started his party piece of biting chunks out of glasses. When the landlord objected they decided to break up the pub. The landlord telephoned for the police. When the first policeman arrived the airmen had left the Millstone and had made their way to the Wheatsheaf. The first policeman caught up with them and was immediately attacked. After he was knocked out the airmen threw him through the fish shop window. The airmen decided to return to the Millstone when a second policeman arrived. They assaulted him. He managed to lay out two with his baton befoire they got him on the ground, kicking him and breaking two of his ribs. Reinforcements reached the pub and arrested the airmen. They were handed over to the RAF police. They were not charged as aircrew were ecpected to have a life expectancy of not more than six weeks. (My father was the second policeman)
Patrick

Clem Walden
April 7, 2013 @ 6:35 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Patric, an interesting story "blast from the past" I was just wondering if the landlord of the Millstone at the time was Alf Pricket? Would you know? As Alf Pricket I understand did keep the Millstone in the 40s/50s.  Your mention of the "old Wheatsheaf" recalled an old memory of my own. My parents would often use this public house and one night when I was with them as a very young boy [Drinking my lemonade and eating my scrips] some RAF lads started a rumpus they were out there heads with booze. The police arrived P.C.Swain and P.C. Smith [both big cops] and arrested these trouble makers. At the time it scared me to death as my father and his friend Frank Walpole got involved prior to the arrival of the police and I thought my Dad was going to get hurt. But all ended well.

John Tyers
April 10, 2013 @ 6:14 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I worked alongside Albert Swain at Allis-chalmers Clem when he had retired as a Sergeant.  I recall him telling me how horrified he and his police colleagues were during the war years when trouble kicked off with the Yank servicemen having too much ale at the Lansbury Hall dances, Assembly Rooms etc.  Evidently the Snowdrop US police who accompanied the Stamford constabulary used to wade into any trouble wielding their truncheons and cracking heads all and sundry!  No respect for 'elf and safety in those far off days.

Patrick
April 11, 2013 @ 2:17 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Clem. I`m sure you are right. Alf Pricket rings a bell. I think the other policeman was PC Robson, who joined in 1939 from the RAC.

Peter
April 12, 2013 @ 6:25 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Like John Tyers I seem to remember Albert Swain from Allis Chalmers. If memory serves me right he was a tall, well built, very upright man with a good head of silver hair and a very affable nature. I can't remember what he did now, perhaps John can help there?

John Tyers
April 13, 2013 @ 5:12 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Peter; Albert worked in Shipping and Orders under Stan Joyner.  The other ex PC in there was Sgt McDonald the Ketton copper.  You may also recall Michael Swain in Production Control, elder son of Albert both now sadly deceased.

Veronica Mansbridge
December 10, 2016 @ 8:00 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Does anyone remember Frisby's fish n chip shop in North Street?  As I remember it had a sloping floor down to the counter and table and chairs were on the right hand side.  Great fish n chips.  I used to love going in there with mum and dad to get our fish n chips in newspaper with lots of salt and vinegar

Roger Partridge
December 11, 2016 @ 9:04 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes Veronica, remember Frisby's just as you have described. They used to boast in their ads that they used dripping for frying! I think we alternated between there and T H Bone's, just a stone's throw away in West Street

Betty
December 17, 2016 @ 8:13 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I too remember Frisby's fish and chip shop.  I remember flying down the slope and crashing in to the counter.  Those chips were life savers when you came out of the cinema and had that long trek home to Lambeth Walk

Clive Hilliard
December 17, 2016 @ 9:33 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Does anyone remember the fish n chip shop in Water Street once owned by Reg Hilliard, in the late 50s & 60s, used to have a place to eat up stairs.

Roger Partridge
December 20, 2016 @ 9:53 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Was that the one that became Nick's in the 1970s

Peter
December 29, 2016 @ 6:10 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I can remember using Water Street in the 60's especially after coming from the swimming pool in the evening. As I remember they were very good fish and chips and the eating area upstairs used to get very busy. Back in those days the fish and chip shops in town were all pretty good and seemed to be open much later than they are today, or is my advanced age deceiving me again?