Daniel Lambert

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Daniel Lambert
Topic Originator: Tony Lilley
Post Date February 7, 2007 @ 11:51 AM
 Daniel Lambert
 RE: Daniel Lambert
 Daniel Lambert/The Daniels
 Daniel Lambert/King's Head
  Daniel Lambert/descendants
  Daniel Lambert
 Daniel L/my rellies
 Daniel L/"parked" at townhall
 Daniel Lambert
  Daniel Lambert mystery
 Daniel Lambert/effects
 Daniel Lambert

Tony Lilley
February 7, 2007 @ 11:51 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Also, does Daniel Lambert qualify for a mention? (not that I knew him personally!)
Kate:
Regarding Daniel Lambert yes, I think we could start a topic for Daniel. Though as you rightly say none of us will have personal memories of him.  I wonder if anyone out there was a descendant?  Or had family whose ancestors remembered him and passed the anecdotes on?  We are looking for anything on Daniel Lambert.  Your chance to have a say.  I can remember when I worked at Stamford Town Hall his clothes were kept in the safe there.  I think (not sure) that they are now kept in Stamford Museum - seems the obvious place.
There is an interesting resume of Daniel's life at the following

http://www.familylambert.net/History/bios/daniel.html

Glenys Ablett
August 2, 2008 @ 9:55 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi there,
don't know if this will get read, but here goes.
I live'd in the USA for 4 years and come from Leicester.
Daniel Lambert had no children of his own and is my gt gt gt gt gt uncle.
In 1970 my Grandmother (whose maiden name was Lambert) was invited to one of the Leicester Museums for the 200th anniversary of Daniels birth. She was shown a family tree and informed how she was related to Daniel. Grandmother was already aware of this and had told me.

Glenys
Kate: Hi Glenys - how interesting!  Have you seen Daniel's gravestone in the small cemetery behind St Martin's Church in Stamford? There is other information about Daniel on this site.  If you put his name in the Search I think it should come up with other stuff that people have posted.

Kate
August 2, 2008 @ 12:57 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

There are several postings about Daniel Lambert  On  the site.Topic "Local Characters" - start on postings from  12 February and there are several with different information.

Mike Laughton
May 7, 2011 @ 10:28 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Apart from the fact that he died in Stamford and is buried in St Martin's old churchyard, I don't believe Daniel Lambert had much connection with Stamford.
He lived in Leicester where he had been a jailer but because of his massive size he had taken to exhibiting himself at fairs and other public gatherings like race meeting.
At the time of his death he was in Stamford to attend the races at Stamford Racecourse on Wittering Heath.
I don't believe he had any other connection with the town. Strange then that the local football team should be nicknamed The Daniels in his honour.

JohnDale McAllister
May 10, 2011 @ 4:24 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

In the 60s there used to be a large painting of him as you went in the door of the Kings Head. Long time ago,JD.
Hi John.  Thanks for posting that memory - takes you back I guess.  Wonder where that painting has ended up? Kate

John Tyers
May 10, 2011 @ 7:19 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The mother-in-law of my Australian cousin is a descendant of Daniel Lambert's family. Her name is Lambert through her mother's side; she was born in Market Harborough and has traced her ancestral line  back to Daniel's family although I don't think Daniel was wed or had children. Some years ago her son, my cousin's ex husband, visited Stamford and I took him to see the memorabilia in the Museum relating to Daniel and he was intensely interested.  I must admit he bore little family resemblance to his famous forebear being physically thin and unlike previous Australians I have encountered, a very quiet man!

Andrew Scattergood
May 12, 2011 @ 9:02 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I read with interest that there are ancestors of Daniel Lambert around the world. I live in Leicester and am putting on a play called Daniel Lambert's Trousers in October 2011. The play is in praise of people who have demonstrated such generosity of spirit in spite of circumstances which might have otherwise made them give up.
I'm searching for relatives of Daniel Lambert so I can link them in with the play I've written called Daniel Lambert's Trousers. I'm also doing a series of charity events and I want to find anyone interested in helping me symbolically carrying Daniel Lambert home to Leicester.
If anyone's interested, then please contact me via;
www.daniellambertstrousers.com
Thank you
Skatz

Lauren
August 25, 2011 @ 9:07 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I am somehow related to him. No idea how but it's true

Clem Walden
August 25, 2011 @ 11:54 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-Tony, you will be interested to know that Daniel Lambert is back in STAMFORD TOWN HALL he sits on a very large chair on the right hand side of the main entrance door. Fully clothed in his original clothing, big smile on his face, with a detailed history information board of this great man next to him. This life size model was removed from the Stamford Museum in the last 2/3 weeks. ALL WHO ARE INTERESTED SHOULD VISIT THE TOWN HALL TO TAKE A LOOK AT THIS VERY LARGE MAN. Incidently those who read the local Mercury will have read that the Council vehicle which deliverd him got a "parking ticket" for parking outside the Town Hall. So poor old Daniel has perhaps costs us money?

G Neal O'Gyst
September 2, 2011 @ 12:38 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

If any of Daniel Lambert's Ancestors are still around, young Scattergood, one seriously doubts they will be in a fit physical state to attend your events.

G Neal O'Gyst
September 2, 2011 @ 2:56 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I am afraid, Ms Ablett, that for him to be your uncle, of any greatness, you would have to be directly descended from one of his siblings.

a) As you say, there is no record whatsoever of DL having fathered any progeny, even illegitimate.
b) It is extremely unlikely that his brother managed to father a child before dying at six months old.
c) Both his sisters had issue, traceable down to several contemporary lines, HOWEVER, they did not continue the surname (except as a given, or middle) therefore for your grandmother to be born a Lambert her antecedants would have to have remarried into a male offshoot from another, possibly unconnected, branch.

It is more likely you descend from his uncle, also a Daniel, which would, of course, make you a first cousin, several times removed (approximately six).

G Neal O'Gyst

Andrew Scattergood
September 3, 2011 @ 6:35 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

A small amendment to my previous email. I asked whether there are any living ancestors of Daniel Lambert, which would make them several hundred years old. I meant of course descendants.
I agree with a previous message here about the Stamford/Daniel connection. It's very strange that Stamford have taken him as their own when he only spent a couple of days there. On the other hand, it's good to see that someone is keeping his memory alive. Leicester seems to care a lot less about him.
Personally I'd like to see him made a cultural icon for Leicester. Not for his girth but for all of the great qualities he had. He was a marvellous raconteur, a good singer, very generous of spirit and very well liked. In these days of riots and religious intolerance we ought to be proud to hold up Daniel as the sort of person we could all aspire to be like. All except for the weight of course, but it's not known for certain whether that was his fault or not.
Oh, one final thing. Check out my other post for information about my Daniel Lambert Charity Challenge

Andrew Scattergood
September 3, 2011 @ 6:36 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Point taken. I meant descendants of course. It had been a long day!

syd
September 3, 2011 @ 11:04 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

G Neal O'Gyst.... just got it..smart!!

G Neal O'Gyst
September 5, 2011 @ 4:06 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

To elucidate my previous post, and before someone more erudite intervenes:

There is, of course, actually no evidence that Daniel Lambert (the uncle) had any surviving offspring of either sex. Certainly he makes no mention whatsoever in his will - alluding as he does only to his wife and nieces. And his brother of course. Even our DL gets nothing.

So we come to his father in turn - Daniel Lambert (the grandfather) :- Awaiting evidence to the contrary; HE appears only to have fathered a daughter and two sons (DL's father and uncle aforesaid).

Descent in the male line therefore, carrying the name Lambert with it, would appear only to be possible from a previous generation, some 3 or 4 times removed from the man himself. Quite possibly, although proof is required, centred upon the Lamberts of Melton.

Unfortunately Lambert is a far from uncommon surname, even the Greys themselves counted it amongst their forbears, and Daniel one of the most popular given names of the 18th century.

Sir Daniel Lambert was Lord Mayor of London in the 1750s. No relation whatsoever.

Does that make sense?

Patrick
September 6, 2011 @ 8:15 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I wonder where Daniel Lambert`s clothing spent the time between his death and its appearance in the Museum - and how did his walking stick finish up in The George?

G Neal O'Gyst
September 7, 2011 @ 8:10 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

There was a considerable Market in DL ephemera for many years after his death.
His friends and family (both his favourite sister and nephew supposedly hurried down from Leics for the funeral) held several auctions of his belongings, from sticks to stagecoach, in the ensuing months. Most things ended up in private collections.
His immediate apparrel and artefacts were not unreasonably appropriated by the proprietor of the Wagon & Horses. Much much later they were sold to the proprietor of the 'Daniel Lambert' (Formerly the Ram Jam) and much later still to the owner of the London Inn.
His nephew kept his chair at home, returning it to the Museum on his own death.

thaieler Henson
August 27, 2014 @ 7:10 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I'm afraid here is controversy over daniel lambert having no children, i am meant to of descended from an illegitimate child of daniels

chris herrick
June 18, 2017 @ 6:41 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

many years ago,perhaps 60, I would see Daniel Lambert's waistcoat displayed in a Leicester museum,the Newarke's I think; above was a  painting of the man, sat in a bespoke wooden chair.