wartime St Mary's Street Stamford

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: wartime St Mary's Street Stamford
Topic Originator: Marion
Post Date August 6, 2005 @ 3:17 PM
 RE: wartime St Mary's Street Stamford

Marion
August 6, 2005 @ 3:17 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I can remember during WW2 seeing convoys of tanks and soldiers passing through Stamford along St Mary's Street, Stamford.  My mum was asked by a soldier who was passing through to post a letter to his girlfriend/wife.  My mum said she always wondered if he got through the war.  I think it was the journey to Dunkirk.

Bev Fletcher
December 27, 2008 @ 9:20 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi,

My Grandmother, Winifred Frances Orton Fletcher, was born in 1898 at 5 Burghley Lane in Stamford.  She used to recall wartime in England.  She spoke of the bombings, knitting gloves for soldiers and, of course, the Queen.  Regards, Bev

betty bradshaw
December 31, 2008 @ 6:15 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Bev
My Uncle lived at the top of Burghley Lane.  The last house on the left and I can remember he used to breed chickens in the loft.  Mr Jack Bradshaw I am sure he would have known your mother as my family all came from Church Street, St. Martins and were born in the early 1900's

Bev Fletcher
December 31, 2008 @ 9:53 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Betty,
Thanks for the reply.  We know very little about the English side of the family.  My Grandparents came to the US around 1920.  Names and contact information have been long lost.  I don't evn know how long she lived in Stamford.  Surnames would have been Boothby for her mother and Orton for her father.  Do either of those ring a bell?
Happy New Year.  All the finest things with a dash of good health in 2009.
Regards, Bev

Hi Bev
January 1, 2009 @ 10:46 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I will contact my cousin Jeanette and see if she recalls any one living at number 5.  She is in her seventies so she may know something  Betty

Bev Fletcher
January 11, 2009 @ 6:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Betty,
Thank you for asking about #5 Burghley Lane.  Hope you had a Happy New Year.
Bev

Helen Cullum
November 10, 2015 @ 7:55 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Betty Bradshaw - I would love to talk to you about the Bradshaw family from Church Street, Stamford as I am currently researching them.  Please get in touch.