cinema visits Stamford

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: cinema visits Stamford
Topic Originator: joan
Post Date August 17, 2005 @ 4:26 PM
 cinema visits Stamford
 cinema/Brian Hornsey's study
 cinema visits/spooky or what!

joan
August 17, 2005 @ 4:26 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Also see posting August 2005 for earlier postings on this subject

When we were young we could not go to a film rated for Adults only unless accompanied by an adult.  When the film Oliver Twist was released I badly wanted to see it but was a juvenile and stood outside the cinema looking at the glass case which contained six pictures of the film showing.  I could not get in to see it on my own being under age.  I was very fortunate that a girl in the same form as me at the High School, arrived with her mother.  She said "aren't you going in?" I explained the situation.  She immediately insisted on me going in with them and took me in the best seats in the cinema and insisted on paying.  So I was able to see the film after all.

Mike Laughton
July 5, 2011 @ 12:26 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

About 20 years ago - in 1990 - Brian Hornsey (Liz Paige's dad) produced a history of cinema in Stamford from 1900 to 1990.
Brian had been a projectionist at the Central Cinema until it closed although when he first came to the town he worked for the council as manager/caretaker of the town cemetery.
He was a real cinema lover and used to travel all over the country researching old cinemas.
Only 30 copies of the 25 page document were produced. One is in the museum and I believe another is in the town hall archives.

Ninety Years of Cinema in Stamford

Richard Campbell
July 6, 2011 @ 8:48 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I'm not admitting to having had anything to do with this but there was an occasion during a spooky vampire film....bats and all sorts of nasties... when some boys smuggled a pigeon in and released it at a scary moment....just to impress the girls I gather!!

The usherette used to shine torches on those who were deemed to be behaving inappropriately....

Richard