post offices in Stamford

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: post offices in Stamford
Topic Originator: brian
Post Date August 17, 2005 @ 4:41 PM
 post offices in Stamford
 RE: post offices in Stamford
  post offices in Stamford
  post offices in Stamford
 post offices in Stamford
 RE: post offices in Stamford
  post offices in Stamford

brian
August 17, 2005 @ 4:41 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

There used to be a post office run by Olive Cook in Casterton Road Stamford.  It was really the front room of her house.  She used to sell all the usual post office parafinalia plus she sold ice creams and ice lollies.  There was a nice letter box on the verge outside of the house which sort of highlighted where the post office was.  When I went home up Casterton Road I used to park my bike on the verge outside and nip in to collect an ice cream or an ice lolly.  One morning my dad came up to my bedroom and said "where is your bike its not in the shed?" oh dear I thought.  Then remembered I had left it at the post office.  We went down there but it had gone.  Later we found that a kind person had taken it to the police station and I was able to collect it later.

Roger Partridge
August 2, 2017 @ 8:34 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Just round the corner from Olive Cook, Wilf Clare ran a corner shop grocer's from the front room of a little end terraced house in Torkington Street. In some aspects the two tried not to compete, if you wanted an ice cream, you went to Olive's, for crisps (Smiths with the salt in a little screwed up blue bag) you went to Wilf's.

When Olive gave up the post office, it was transferred to Wilf, along with the ice cream freezer, which made an already cramped shop even more overcrowded

Betty Haddon
August 16, 2017 @ 7:23 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember a Post Office in Bentley Street, it was also a general grocery store.It was the nearest for us when we moved to Northfield's Estate in 1950 and I was often sent there on errands. Some time later the Kesteven Road Post Office opened.

Roger Partridge
August 20, 2017 @ 7:11 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

During the 1960s/70s, Bentley Street Post Office was run by A J Gray who was a Borough Councillor when Stamford was a Borough.

John Tyers
August 22, 2017 @ 4:34 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Just about the last incumbant at the Bentley Street corner shop and post office before it moved over the other side of the street, was the genial Heinrich Menzel.  He was an ex prisoner of war who stayed on here after his release and I worked with him at Cuttings' mushroom farm in Water Street when I first left school.  He married a lady from Tinwell, I believe and on his retirement returned to live in Germany.

John Tyers
August 22, 2017 @ 4:34 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Just about the last incumbant at the Bentley Street corner shop and post office before it moved over the other side of the street, was the genial Heinrich Menzel.  He was an ex prisoner of war who stayed on here after his release and I worked with him at Cuttings' mushroom farm in Water Street when I first left school.  He married a lady from Tinwell, I believe and on his retirement returned to live in Germany.

Betty Haddon
August 24, 2017 @ 11:26 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

After much thought,I think the Bentley Street Post Office may have been Procters/Proctors.