First Visit

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: First Visit
Topic Originator: Maureen OConnell
Post Date September 5, 2005 @ 9:34 AM
 First Visit

Maureen OConnell
September 5, 2005 @ 9:34 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

After years of thinking my g-grandfather was from Grantham, I learned that he was actually born and raised in Stamford.  Naturally this meant I had to visit.  I've known from watching Middlemarch what a lovely town it was, but in reality, it's more beautiful in real life.  Sometimes walking down the narrow lanes I felt taken back in time to another era.  I went searching for houses where my relatives lived.  Of course the numbers have changed.  I didn't have enough time to check local records and find out which house could have been that of my relatives.  It was enough to let my imagination run wild.  I wanted to go into St George's Church but it was closed.  I was also delighted to find out how quaint St Martin Stamford Baron was as well.  My g-grandmother's family came from there.  What a lovely part of England to call part of my heritage.  I can't wait to go back again and check out addresses I have and find the exact location.  I also must mention the  people who assisted me in my endeavors from the Town Hall.  What wonderful and helpful people they are.
Ed:  Thanks for that Maureen.  You will be able to see it all again in Pride & Prejudice.  I understand the photography is stunning and much of it filmed in St. George's Square which is where the photograph was taken of the soldiers.  A special film set was built and we all enjoyed watching the filming.  A butcher's shop was built and bags of bones and large carcasses of meat were strewn about, also geese and fowl hanging as they would have done then.