Douglas Newton radio shop Scotgate Stamford

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Douglas Newton radio shop Scotgate Stamford
Topic Originator: Kate
Post Date September 27, 2005 @ 2:17 PM
 RE: Douglas Newton radio shop Scotgate Stamford
 Douglas Newton/maroon/black BSA

Kate
September 27, 2005 @ 2:17 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember when we were reliant on an accumulator for the radio (wireless) set.  By the end of the week the accumulator would become flat and the programmes could not be received.  We had to save the use of the accumulator for our favourite programmes.  Once a week Douglas Newton would arrive to change over the accumulator and give us a recharged one.
Douglas was very severely handicapped in later years I think by some form of arthritis.  He used his bike to support him and still managed to carry out his visits.  He was such a lovely fellow with glasses and a big mustache.  He was a friend of the family and I think at one time had been interested in one of my aunts as a future partner, but it was not to be.
Does anyone else remember Douglas and his accumulators for our wirelesses?

john freear
April 27, 2006 @ 1:35 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes Kate, I do. He, poor man struggled with his bycycle, he on foot, accumulators hanging from the handlebars, it must have been very hard work for him and although it didnt show was probably painful. Not that we youngsters could feel his pain, it was Mr Newton with his accumulators. Part of our everyday scene.
Kate:  Yes thanks for that John.  I think Douglas also used at one time to arrive in a very large car.  Perhaps he gave up driving?  I think he lived in one of the houses just below the cycle shop  bordering Scotgate - I suppose North Street?  He also had a shop on Scotgate opposite Dexters.

Phil Rudkin
May 26, 2006 @ 10:04 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

You were lucky Kate, I lived in Essex Road, and I took the accumulator on my byke down North Street (via Cliffe Crescent), and knocked on Doug Newton's door. as I remember, his house (or shop) was in Scotgate, probably where GR hobby shop is.  Doug would open the door and give a big grin, a nice chap, but as you and John Freear say, he was very handicapped, and he was always seen around Stamford on his byke delivering accumulators.  I cannot remember how long it took to charge up, but I always used to pick it up when ready, which pleased my Dad.
Kate:  Thanks for that Phil.  I think it took about a week, but that may not be right, as I  think on his weekly visit to us  he was just exchanging it for another accumulator. We used to have to "save" some of it if we had a favourite programme towards the end of the week!   I think he lived in one of the houses at the bottom of North Street adjoining Scotgate on the left  just above the crossing. I think he lived with his mother but I may be wrong on that one.

Clem Walden
July 10, 2008 @ 6:29 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Phil, I think Doug Newtons shop was almost next door to the "White Swan" perhaps where "Eric Bells shop was" or a little nearer to the corner, where Felix Vines barbers used to be, however like you I used to visit Doug Newtons shop, It was a long way from Essex Rd, & Tolethorpe Sq, do you remember Mrs Beals fish shop the other side of the White Swan? & what about Tim Garrattts Barber opposite Felix Vines, which one did you use? I used both at times, unfortunatly I do not need a barber these days, do my own "blade one" can you remember the Bakers Shop in Scotgate somewhere between the White Swan & The Green Man, do not remember the name of it? perhaps someone can tell me?

betty bradshaw
November 15, 2008 @ 2:43 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

We too used Douglas Newton for our accumulator.  It cost us 6 pence a week and was delivered on a Friday Evening each week.  I can still remember how you connected it to the back of the wireless.
The bakers between the White Swan and The Green Man also belonged to one of the Harveys as well as the one by All Saints Church and the Bake House was where you get the bus to the estate up the top of Casterton Road.
I can also remember when Bones Fish Shop (opposite St John;s School) sold wet fish in the daytime and Mr. Bone used to make orange penny lollies in his freezer.

Clem Walden
November 16, 2008 @ 4:46 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thanks for that Betty,"Harvey's" the bakers, I also remember "Bone's & the wet fish, can't remember the penny lollies though? I am thinking you must be the Betty Bradshaw I know? who's brothers I still have a few drinks with from time to time, Gerald & Colin? hope I am right?
If you are you will recall my visits to your house at Christmas times?
& many other memories of those day's gone by, the Willow Cafe, the Drill Hall, & your dads songs like "He's got the whole world in his hands" & "with my hand on my self" what a great guy was George, what great times we all had in those day's gone by. Do hope I have the correct Betty Bradshaw? if not please forgive me.

betty bradshaw
November 16, 2008 @ 7:02 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Clem
Yes that is me and they are my brothers.  I do remember those really happy times at the Drill Hall and when you all played in the Skiffle Group.  I do see Mick Carr when I visit Stamford and you When I am down again I will say Hello.  Regards to Pam

Mike Laughton
July 2, 2011 @ 8:26 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember Doug Newton. He lived with his two sisters (both called Miss Newton) in the big house in Austin Street - Austin House.
There were lots of middle-aged spinsters in the town during the 1940s. So many millions of our young men were killed in the first world war that there were not enough male partners to go round among those that were left. Many young women lost the love of their lives in that conflict and as a result never married.
Doug walked stiff-legged and always had his bike. I thought his leg injury was due to a war wound.

John Tyers
July 5, 2011 @ 11:10 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Being an old car buff, I vividly remember Mr Newton's; it was, if I recall correctly, a maroon and black BSA saloon from the mid thirties and he had a large wooden box on the rear bumper, I presume to carry his wet accumulators.