SLACK/BARTRAM Bath Row & Maiden Lane Stamford shoe/boot warehouse High St also Elizabeth GOODWIN

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: SLACK/BARTRAM Bath Row & Maiden Lane Stamford shoe/boot warehouse High St also Elizabeth GOODWIN
Topic Originator: Marion FARR
Post Date October 28, 2005 @ 3:14 PM
 SLACK/BARTRAM Bath Row & Maiden Lane Stamford shoe/boot warehouse High St also Elizabeth GOODWIN

Marion FARR
October 28, 2005 @ 3:14 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Stamford is of interest to me because my paternal grandmother Eleanor Slack nee Bartram, born in Islington, was with her sister, who had lost their father when Eleanor was only a year old and sister "on the way", brought up by two uncles (brothers of their father) and their wives, in Stamford.  Eleanor in a small cottage at 14, Bath Row, and her sister Emma at 3, Maiden Lane.  I have since discovered their father, Alfred Bartram, a cabinet maker, was brought up at 1, St John St, now a shop.  His father John Barnaby Bartram was, at one time a shoemaker, but later in life a letter carrier, who was living at the St John St address by 1841, prior to which he had had a shoe and boot warehouse in the High St, roughly where Woolworths is now situated.  John's parents, were William Bartram born circa 1741 and Elizabeth Goodwin, who married at St George's, Stamford in 1770.  I have never traced William's baptism, and don't know if he was originally from Stamford.
Since moving from Manchester to a village near Huntingdon, I was able to visit Stamford until my husband died in 2003, and is a lovely town,  and it is easy to picture my grandmother, whom I remember very well, walking around, or playing on the meadows by the river, near where she lived on Bath Row.  All the Stamford Bartrams I have discovered to date have been my ancestors.
Ed:  If anyone has any information regarding these families or addresses please contact Marion
   marion.farr@virgin.net