PIPER'S PENNY BAZAAR STAMFORD

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: PIPER'S PENNY BAZAAR STAMFORD
Topic Originator: Kate
Post Date October 29, 2005 @ 2:28 PM
 PIPER'S PENNY BAZAAR STAMFORD
 RE: PIPER'S PENNY BAZAAR STAMFORD
 RE: PIPER'S PENNY BAZAAR STAMFORD

Kate
October 29, 2005 @ 2:28 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Piper's Penny Bazaar was at the bottom end of High Street near where Boots Chemists is now.  Amazingly you could buy things for a penny and that was 1d which is less than 1p!  We always went in there on the way home from school. I remember being fascinated by a toy  wooden monkey balanced on a string stretched between two sticks.  If you squeezed the sticks together the monkey would perform acrobatics over the string.  I never had one of the monkeys as I never had enough to buy one.  The shop assistants must have been fed up with seeing us.  I don't remember any of the shop assistants in Piper's Penny Bazaar.

John Tyers
October 7, 2008 @ 7:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

It was completely open at the front to the elements, I recall the lady assistants wearing mittens and the place being lit by Hurricane Lamps precariously placed on the counters!  The staff must have been freezing. Similarly W.H.Smiths opposite and further up on High Street, all they had was a plank between two cases on which were displayed a few papers and mags again lit by a Hurricane Lamp and presided over by the Manager a Mr Brown also wearing mittens!
Kate:  Anyone else remember those mittens!

Joan Stafford
December 25, 2008 @ 9:01 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes John , we both remember Pipers Bazaar.  The floor was wooden boards that bounced when jumped on. Best place in town for whipping tops (no-one remembers those) There was a season for all childrens activities, whip and tops, marbles, jacks, hoops, skipping, That shows our age up.