TownHall 50's Staff photo

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: TownHall 50's Staff photo
Topic Originator: Kate
Post Date October 30, 2005 @ 6:42 AM
  Town Hall Staff photo 1950s
 Town Hall photo
 TownHall photo
 TownHall/guy in glasses

Kate
October 30, 2005 @ 6:42 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Also for another comment, See Maureen OConnell's posting "First Visit".

Kate
April 7, 2010 @ 2:11 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

TownHall Staff late 1950s

by kind permission of Stamford Mercury
To see this photo as large as possible double click on photo then click on
Actions top left of photo and then choose Slideshow. Then to stay on that picture click on 2double lines bottom left

Do you recognise any of these faces?
2nd left front row Ann Wardle, girl squeezed between Ann Wardle and the other lady on the front row, Kay Brooks. 4th man from right (wearing glasses) behind pillar Ernest Matthews, Borough Treasurer. Man in centre (with moustache) wearing dark suit Councillor Nicholls local business man.  Immediate right of Cllr Nicholls and on back row is  a very  young Alec Burt.

betty
April 7, 2010 @ 8:03 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Kate
Ann Wauby is the girl second on the left on the front row
Hi Betty
Yes, I know who you mean.  I think its Ann Wardle?

betty
May 3, 2010 @ 9:23 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I think I am beginning to put some names together now I am seeing your photographs the girl squeezed between the two Ann Wardle and the other lady on the front row is Kay Brooks as I knew her, did she marry Victor Elmer???
Yes, Betty, you are correct. I will start a list under the photo.

Patrick
May 3, 2010 @ 8:37 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

There is a tall man wearing glasses standing behind the man fourth from the right who is leaning against the pillar. I think the tall man is Mr.Mathews, Borough Treasurer. Is the man in the centre Councillor Nicholls? Was he Mayor when the photo was taken?
Kate: Yes, Patrick. "Tall man" is Ernest Matthews who was for some years Borough Treasurer when we had our own Borough Council and I think the other man you refer to is Councillor Nicholls a local business man.

Patrick
May 5, 2010 @ 6:17 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The ladies look very smart. The men look as if they are wearing Daniel Lambert`s spare trousers. Hard to believe that we thought we looked good wearing these.
Kate: Yes, you are right!  Was it the fashion? Or was it just their working gear?

Patrick
May 10, 2010 @ 3:00 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Kate
I am not sure but the young man at the back to the right of Mr Nicholls looks like a young Alec Burt. I wonder if it is?
Kate: Yes Patrick, I think you are right.  The "head only" bit on right of Cllr N icholls is young Alec Burt.  Well spotted.

Clem Walden
May 16, 2010 @ 11:06 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-Kate, not sure again but think the guy with glases back right close to the pillar and on Alec Burts right could be "Bill Wincup" who lived on Wharf road.

I think the man next to Alec Burt was Cis Knighten, in charge of the Markets, not sure. K