Mr Stubbs - pony and trap - Stamford

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Mr Stubbs - pony and trap - Stamford
Topic Originator: Audrey
Post Date October 30, 2005 @ 8:03 AM
 Mr Stubbs - pony and trap - Stamford
 RE: Mr Stubbs - pony and trap - Stamford
 RE:Dodies & Central, Mr Stubbs - pony and trap - Stamford
 RE: Mr Stubbs - pony and trap - Stamford

Audrey
October 30, 2005 @ 8:03 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

On Saturday mornings, Mr Stubbs would sometimes appear at the top of our street sitting on the seat of his pony and trap.  He would wait there at the end of the road until a few children had gathered and we would get onto the seats in the trap and have a short ride "round the block".  He held a "twitch" which he flicked at the pony to get it to start and then we were off.  This was all very exciting in those days and we used to look out for him and hope not to miss his next visit. I can't remember how much he charged but not very much or we wouldn't have been allowed the money to go.
Ed: Thanks for that Audrey.  Anyone else remember the pony and trap and Mr Stubbs?

Clem Walden
March 18, 2006 @ 6:10 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Mr, Stubbs did a lot of things selling firewood,collecting scrap metal etc, his wife would take  me into the pictures when I was a young lad, for the A films you needed an adult with you, myself and others would be outside the cinema waiting for someone to take us in. Mr Stubb's pony & trap would visit many areas of the Town, Essex Rd, Tolethorpe Sq, Worcester Crescent, Norfolk Sq, etc, he charged 3p during the years 1947-1949.
Editor:  Thanks for that Clem.  Yes Mr. Stubbs was the kids favourite round my way.  (I think it was that pony and trap which made him so popular).
Have you some memories to share about the cinemas in Stamford?  That long queue outside of "The Central" (with Askers sweetshop open late and just  handy for a bag of sweets) and Dodies round the corner?

Clem
March 20, 2006 @ 3:35 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

remember Dodies, "Maud" in the cash desk, Mr.Smith the manager, and the long platform type seats at the front, Saturday afternoons going to see "Capt Marvell" long before "Superman" was created, also remember the great "Roy Rogers" & Johnie Weismuller as "Tarzan" the "Central" at that time had a manager by the name of "Sindall" when he left Mr Hudson took over, Mrs Brooks would be in the cash desk, ushers were, Mrs. Popple, Mrs.Wade, Mrs.Cove, the projectionist was Mr Askew he had a twin brother and  they lived in Queen St, I also remember the price going up from 9d to one shilling, Mr Hudson the manager had a nickname "Shinner"  yes old Shinner Hudson...
Ed:  Yes Clem, those Tarzan films were "ace".  What was it, "Me Tarzan, You Jane"  and then there was Cheetah the monkey.  I can here that Tarzan call now.

Clem
March 20, 2006 @ 4:37 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Correct "Me Tarzan You Jane" I remember playing Tarzan in the spinney at the top of Green lane opposite the old Fane School, ended up with a broken arm! fell down the tree onto the tin roof of the piggeries, that were down one side of the spinney. Mr Skells who lived in Kings Rd, would come and chase us out of the spinney, he told me that the spinney  was once a graveyard? don't know if that was ever true? but at that time Mr Hunt was the caretaker at the Fane School, & Frosts were the corner shop, I also remember the Pre-fabs being built, it was just  a field before then, & my dad use to tell me it  was the Stamford Town football ground at one time. There was a touch-wood tree at the side of the old spinney & we would make clay engines fill them with paper & touch-wood and light them, or we would use a tin can put holes in it then put a piece of wire on it and swing it round, do you remember? whip & tops, fag-cards long flicks? or topsies?marbles,snubs,& taking jam jars to the old rag & bone shop to get money for them, or taking empty beer bottles for the refunds to the various pubs they came from?  not a lot of money in those days but what a lot of fun "Golden Days".
Ed:  Yes I remember taking back those empty bottles, I think it was 1d each.  And all those games you recall - anyone else out there remember them?