Miss Smith's Shop, Ironmonger Street Stamford

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Miss Smith's Shop, Ironmonger Street Stamford
Topic Originator: Lynda Griffin
Post Date November 3, 2005 @ 11:22 AM
 RE: Miss Smith's Shop, Ironmonger Street
 RE: Miss Smith's Shop, Ironmonger Street
 RE: Mrs Smith's Shop, Ironmonger Street Stamford
 Mrs Smith's Shop, Ironmonger Street Stamford
  Mrs Smith's Shop/fascinating
 Miss Smith's shop
 Miss Smith's/mssg for Richard
 Miss Smith's
 Miss Smith/wizz on bike

Lynda Griffin
November 3, 2005 @ 11:22 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My memories of this lovely old shop, was when I went in with my aunty to buy my first fishing net and then we went off down to the meadows with my jam jar to catch tiddlers. That shop was like an Aladdins Cave, Mrs Smith used to sell everything you could possibly think of and nothing was too much trouble for her. My mum used to take me in and buy colouring books and pencils. That was a treat on a Friday when we used to go down to the Market.
Kate: Thanks Lynda.  Yes Mrs Smith was important to lots of people. What years are we talking?  Mrs Smith must have been known to several generations of children.

Lynda
November 6, 2005 @ 4:20 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Kate
We are talking about 35 years ago now, although it seems like yesterday.
Kate:  Yes, it would be nice to walk back in there now - I glanced in the door over the weekend and its now one large area - that secret area at the back of the shop has disappeared.

john freear
November 16, 2005 @ 8:26 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Miss Smith as a title I am afraid is wrong, she was  MRS smith, she,her husband and children were members of the Congregational church in Stamford (now the United Reformed Church), Star Lane. I went to sunday school there in the 1930's.
Ed:  Thanks for that info. John.  An earlier entry does say MRS Smith, but as I was not completely sure which was correct, I left them both on the site until we could confirm.  
Lynda, I have now changed the topic to MRS Smith, as I seem to remember her as  Mrs Smith  too and John has convincing information.
John, please send some more  memories, as you have known Stamford and its people for sometime.  Thankyou for adding to the accuracy of the site.

john freear
November 19, 2005 @ 8:51 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Further to my recent reply in respect of the above, two things came to my mind afterwards.
1.The "Smiths" also had a shop in All Saints St. which for me was a shop which sold scissors. The shop was slightly to the west (Tinwell side) of Mallory Lane. They did in fact sell all sorts of things with "edges" for cutting, you might have called them cutlers. They sold
quality.
2. There was another lady who worked there who was not, as far as I remember, married. She was I think a member of the family bearing a resemblance to Mrs Smith. I always assumed she was Mrs Smith's sister. Would this be where the "Miss" came from. She would not have carried the name Smith however except by coincidence.
Ed: Thankyou for that John.  I myself do not remember the shop you refer to but I am sure others do.  How about you Lynda?  Do you remember the other "Miss Smith" who may be the sister of Mrs Smith in the Ironmonger Street shop?  I know a quite knowledgeable chap on Stamford matters but he has gone away on a break this week. I wonder where the family of Smiths lived - presumably in Stamford, was it over the Ironmonger Street shop?  I remember a "hobby" shop along All Saints' Street but I think that was later.  Can someone help to fill in the pieces?

Richard Rollings
December 18, 2010 @ 11:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember my Dad rigging up a crude panic alarm from under her counter to our shop after a spate of shoplifting (about 1980 I think)

Richard Campbell.
December 20, 2010 @ 11:35 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember Mrs Smith...I think that she was the Grandmother of my school pal Patric Smith. Circa 1959 when we at the Bluecoat School..... His Dad was a policeman.

The shop was fascinating and the store room and living accomodation equally so.

Richard

June Rollings
December 20, 2010 @ 9:13 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi. Richard.  Re your posting regarding Miss Smiths shop in Ironmonger Street.   Miss Smith did not marry and I am sure did not have children.  As you said, she was a lovely lady, and her shop  just like Alladins cave.  My husband, John and I together with our children, lived and worked next door to Miss Smith for a number of years in the 1970/80s.  As my son Richard posted on the Forum recently, John did in fact install a panic alarm from Winnies shop to our (not really as crude a Richard implied!!!).   Ironmonger Street used to have lots of nice shops then - to name a few - Gladys Eweles, Ladies Hairdressers; Tony Florio, Gents Hairdressers (then taken over by Melvin Patrick)  Needlecraft;  Burma Canham;  Linders babywear and childrens shop, run by Barbara and Bob Ford who later changed it to a Video shop.;  Milnes D.I.Y.;  Denis Barwells shop, which sold lots of lovely nicknacks and small items of furniture;  A.T. Mays, Travel Agents(formerly McIntosh Travel);  and also a shoe shop - the name of which escapes me.  We have many happy memories of Ironmonger Street.

June Rollings
December 20, 2010 @ 9:35 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi again Richard. Have just re-read yor posting and realise that you  were probably referring to Winnie Smiths parents who originally owned the shop.  In that case, you could well be right about your school friend.  Sorry I misread the date.

Richard Campbell
December 24, 2010 @ 5:03 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi June,
The Mrs Smith I knew was at around 1958-59.
Also in Ironmongers Str. was MacFisheries and a little cafe on the corner opposite Dewhursts the butchers....I was a errand boy there in about 1964...used to have to fetch milk from the cafe.

Richard

betty
December 26, 2010 @ 1:34 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I too remember Miss Smith as I went to Sunday School at The Congregational Church it was held at The Albert Hall in the High Street and no she was not married.  I am almost sure Mr Smith was her brother.  I will question my brothers on this one when they get back home after Christmas.

syd
December 27, 2010 @ 8:19 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My wife used to work at Gladys Ewles in the early sixties and seems to think there were two sisters (misses) who lived over the shop, I can see in my mind one of them on her big sit up and beg bike flying down Ironmonger Street at a good rate and stopping at the shop as neat as you like and as a teenager then I thought it gave her great street cred!
When I was about twelve/ thirteen myself and all my friends had a sheath knife bought from Smiths on our belts as we went up the fields.