Stamford High School for Girls

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Stamford High School for Girls
Topic Originator: Anne
Post Date November 6, 2005 @ 8:25 AM
 RE: Stamford High School for Girls

Anne
November 6, 2005 @ 8:25 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

At the age of 11 I started at senior School.  This seemed a very large school after my primary school.   We juniors were somewhat in awe of the senior girls, prefects etc. and the teachers.  Miss Lomax was the Headmistress and ruled the School with a rod of iron - Miss Best was the Deputy Head and taught geography.  

One day a week we ran up to the top  Park next to Jacob's Ladder to play hockey. Miss Wormald was our games mistress.   I was left-inner on the forward line.  By the time we had run back to school, changed out of our hockey kit and cycled home we were pretty exhausted.  We kept our cycles in a cycleshed at Junior House.  A few of us would amble down Lumby's Terrace wheeling our cycles and having a chat before heading home.
Editor's note:  Do you have a senior school memory you wish to share? Your email need not appear unless you require answers off-line.

angela martin
April 7, 2008 @ 12:26 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I was a pupil at Stamford high school from 1959 to 1966. Am wanting to read an obituary of the then headmistess Joyce Lomax who died in 1967 and would love to hear from anyone at school with me during those years. My computer skills are limited and do not know how to access the archives of the Stamford Mercury which contained a long obituary of Miss Lomax at the time.
Angela Martin
Kate: Hello Angela.   I have found a site for Stamford High School Old Girls and the email address is info@ses.lincs.sch.uk
If you put "Miss Lomax" Stamford High School in Google, you should get a reference to the site I visited and if you click on it you will see a list of ex-pupils from the 50s with bits of information.

I also found the following on that site
Would love to hear from anyone out there at this time and from any other Old girls at all as currently putting together an information update for the Old Girls Guild and SES Web Site. Please include your full postal address also as we are trying to update our records as well. Contact me at Jacqueline.Lawson@xtra.co.nz

I think it would be worth emailing Jacqueline - I am sure the Old Girls Association would have the obituary for Miss Lomax.  hope so anyway.
Hope this helps.

Lorrine Graham(jones)
October 31, 2014 @ 8:11 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Angela. we were in the same class and I was soundly told off by Miss Lomax for my Vidal Sassoon haircut. Very inappropriate, apparently! I'm now in Manchester and still wear my hair exactly as I please, but her reaction to it sometimes comes to mind and amuses me. As did her classic remark that SHS girls don't become secretaries.

Peggy Mac
February 20, 2015 @ 2:52 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Reading Lorrine`s remarks about hair styles made me think how little things change. One day in 1937, when I was 10 years old, we were all gathered at Assembly. Miss Nicol, the Headmistress called me by name to join her on the platform. When I stood next to her she produced a piece of string and tied my long hair back behind my neck. She said `In future, you will always tie you hair back while you are in school. To remind you, you will keep it as I have tied it until school finishes today.` The embarrassment!
Kate: Wonder how long she had that planned?  Or perhaps she always had a piece of string handy.